Nintendo Rejects Binding of Isaac on 3DS

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Nintendo Rejects Binding of Isaac on 3DS

"Questionable religious content" means The Binding of Isaac will not be coming to the 3DS.

Team Meat co-founder Edmund McMillen let it be known today that Nintendo has given the thumbs-down to a 3DS version of The Binding of Isaac. "Attention: After a long internal debate Nintendo has decided NOT to allow the Binding of Isaac on the 3ds," he wrote on Twitter [https://twitter.com/#!/EdmundMcMillen]. "As many assumed the reasons were due to the games 'questionable religious content'. Thank GOD Steam exists!"

When a follower suggested that it might be the game's "suggestive themes, suggested child nudity, and gore" that actually gave Nintendo pause, McMillen insisted that it was in fact the religious content that hung things up, responding, "No actually they were fine with the M rating and that content... somehow." But he also emphasized that the decision will not affect future releases on the platform, adding, "FYI everyone, we are not at all on bad terms with Nintendo. its their platform their rules, this wont effect any future games with them!"

Still, McMillen obviously isn't happy with the decision, telling Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/29/team-meat-looking-to-sony-platforms-for-binding-of-isaac] that it's "a bit primitive to 'censor' something due to religion." Team Meat is now considering the viability of bring The Binding of Isaac to Sony platforms.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Wow, Nintendo. Your draconian family friendliness bullshit is really grating the nerves of many. No wonder I stay away from your products.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I would certainly buy Binding of Isaac on PSP. Just make it better optimised than the PC version and it's all dandy.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
After all the Persona games on PlayStation platforms, inFamous 2, and a Chimera called Satan in Resistance 3, I don't think Sony have a problem with religious themes. Hopefully that means I'll get to give the game a go on PS3 or Vita soon, it looks pretty mad. Super Meat Boy wouldn't be unwelcome either.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Yes please!

Come to Sony on the Vita or PS3 and I will gladly play you while giving my 3DS a stern look every so often.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
First Meat boy and Now This? How am I going to play games by team meat on a nintendo system. So far all is have is a micro game they made for warioware DIY

targren

May 13, 2009
Wow. It's like we're back in the early 90s.

Methinks Nintendo is letting the Wii go to its head. Let the cycle continue!

SuperTrainStationH

Oct 4, 2010
Kevlar Eater said:
Wow, Nintendo. Your draconian family friendliness bullshit is really grating the nerves of many...
It's as though the last two major 3DS retail releases haven't been M rated and that Nintendo hasn't allowed games on the Wii whose extreme mature content has actually got them governmentally banned/censored in some countries.

Really, wait till this game is on PlayStation and Xbox before you start using Binding of Issac as a talking point for how outrageously oppressive and backward Nintendo is for rejecting it.

Also, the idea that Pokémon contains anything resembling a "religious message or content" in the manner of Binding of Issac is laughable.

SomeBrianDude

Nov 30, 2010
I'm sure the other major handheld manufacturer won't share Nintendo's concern, and it'll be their gain should the opportunity arise. Fantastic game, Nintendo's decision making process continues to baffle me.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Really?... Really Nintendo?. I mean... seriously!??.

I've played many of my favorite M rated games on a Nintendo console, I mean, they're no strangers to lots of violence and other nasty stuff, I know that The Binding of Isaac, as it is, it's pretty grotesque like any of McMillen's works and I think it would be pretty fine with Nintendo to release the game, BUT not releasing it due to "questionable religious content"?... that's just... I mean... SERIOUSLY!??.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I dont get why this is such a surprise, Nintendo is well known for being a bit paranoid about religion, its somewhat understandable since they try and hit that family friendly market and it doesn't take too many nutjobs yelling about how nintendo is the devil to hurt that... although they already have morons doing that about pokemon.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Why would you even think Nintendo would let you put this on a DS (which is 'for kiddies' in the US)?

I'm sure Sony will be happy to let you put it on the PSP/Vita.

SuperTrainStationH

Oct 4, 2010
Additionally I'd like to bring up the point, when was the last time that Nintendo themselves have outright REJECTED a game presented to them and disallowed it to ever be published on their system on the basis of content?

Hell, the last case of Nintendo requesting that a game even be altered for "appropriateness" was a minor clothing alteration on the boxart of some obscure multiplatform game from the GameCube era.

Some of the reactions I've seen are as though Nintendo does this routinely and frequently. I can't really remember Nintendo actually forbidding a game to come out on their system or significantly censoring it since the Super NES days. There was even an M rated GTA game.

And I'm not just saying this because I love the fact that Nintendo rejected this game. I actually think it would have been AWESOME if they had gone ahead with allowing it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I think the only reason Resident Evil: Revelations wasn't blocked was because they mangled the use of Dante's Inferno so heavily that nobody could actually figure out why they were using it besides being able to make the names of enemies sound cooler.

SuperTrainStationH

Oct 4, 2010
weirdguy said:
I think the only reason Resident Evil: Revelations wasn't blocked was because they mangled the use of Dante's Inferno so heavily that nobody could actually figure out why they were using it besides being able to make the names of enemies sound cooler.
Dante's Inferno is an explicit work of fiction whereas the story of Abraham and his first son is actual religious teaching at the heart of three major world religions.

Something important to consider when comparing those two games.