Nintendo Releasing Newly Colored 3DS XL Cradles for Club Members

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Nintendo Releasing Newly Colored 3DS XL Cradles for Club Members

On October 31st Club Nintendo members will be able to buy newly colored charging cradles for their 3DS XLs.

There's really no understating how useful the 3DS and 3DS XL charging cradles are. It's the sort of add-on that injects a touch of convenience that, though technically minor, nonetheless feels like a huge improvement over the alternative. The charging cradle gives your 3DS a spot, a permanent place in your home where you can drop it off to rest and wait for you until you're ready to use it again. Once you've established that as your charging status quo, plugging your handheld directly into a wall with some awkward dangly cord seems downright Neanderthal-ic.

Hoping to further spruce up the charging cradle experience, Nintendo has revealed that it will be releasing a new line of 3DS XL cradles that will feature different colors besides the original black. The new colors will include blue, yellow, green, red and white and will go on sale starting on October 31st. The catch is that they'll only be available to Club Nintendo members. Members will need to spend 500 club points to receive one of the newly-hued cradles. Looking at the colors being offered, we're curious as to your impressions and which one you'd like to rest your XL in. Being a fan of visual uniformity I'd like one of the red ones to match my red XL.

[gallery=1846]

Source: Joystiq

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Only 3DS XL though?

Oh, well.

I got my eyes on their Pikmin tote bag anyway.

Just 100 more coins to go (I think)

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
About the only time a direct plug in charging cable is undesirable is when it is nonsensically short. fortunately Nintendo had the good sense to give the 3DS a 6' cable. I have my charge cable plugged into a surge protector right next to my bed so there is no problem with play-charging.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I'm sure this is just the Swedishness in me talking, but the yellow charging cradle looks great with the blue 3DS XL!

If only the cradles were available to me, I think I'd actually consider getting a blue XL instead of either alternative I already have in mind.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Eh, I don't care for the cradle for the simple fact it sometimes doesn't charge the system. Plugging it in directly leaves you with no worries.

Also, we get a recolor of the charging cradle, but no Charizard 3DS XL?

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
Meh, I like all my stuff in black or dark colours anyway.

StewShearer said:
Once you've established that as your charging status quo, plugging your handheld directly into a wall with some awkward dangly cord seems downright Neanderthal-ic.
Glad someone else feels like this. It's gotten to the point with me that the availability of a proper cradle is a serious consideration when buying tech.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Man, when I first saw this I was kinda angry cause I just spent all my coins on a shirt, but the colors for the promotion kinda suck anyway, so I'll stick with black lol.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Call it ignorance but I don't see a connector on the cradle it self, is this just a stand where you have to shove the cable in anyway?

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Snotnarok said:
Call it ignorance but I don't see a connector on the cradle it self, is this just a stand where you have to shove the cable in anyway?
You plug the cable into the back of the cradle. When you place the 3DS onto the cradle, it rests on a button that causes a couple of metal pins to stick out and rest against a couple of metal connectors that are on both sides of the 3DS's A/C port. It's also very easy to both place and remove the 3DS from the cradle with very little effort. It's really a genius design. The only reason I don't use it is because I'll spend several hours in my room playing the 3DS, and the cradle isn't very comfortable to actually hold onto (not that the 3DS is much better, but that's a different story entirely).

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Snotnarok said:
You plug the cable into the back of the cradle. When you place the 3DS onto the cradle, it rests on a button that causes a couple of metal pins to stick out and rest against a couple of metal connectors that are on both sides of the 3DS's A/C port. It's also very easy to both place and remove the 3DS from the cradle with very little effort. It's really a genius design. The only reason I don't use it is because I'll spend several hours in my room playing the 3DS, and the cradle isn't very comfortable to actually hold onto (not that the 3DS is much better, but that's a different story entirely).
Ah okay so it's got contact charging or something, makes sense.

Yeah I don't think the regular 3DS is super comfy, I like it's fatter than the XL but overall XL was just more comfy, not to mention the HUGE SCREEEEEN.