Nintendo Remaking Legendary Zelda: Ocarina of Time For 3DS?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nintendo Remaking Legendary Zelda: Ocarina of Time For 3DS?

If that massive lineup of 70+ titles confirmed for the 3DS didn't win you over, there's at least one game in development that wasn't listed: An apparent remake of the beloved 1998 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Earlier today at the experienced hands-on [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101374-E3-2010-From-the-Nintendo-Press-Conference] by Escapist editor Greg Tito), but coming in a close second was its apparently-massive library of games.

Nintendo revealed a huge lineup of titles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101377-PilotWings-MGS-StarFox-Headline-3DS-Lineup] in development for the 3DS including big-name series like Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil as well as old Nintendo classics like Kid Icarus, Star Fox and PilotWings.

They seem to have missed one. And it's one hell of a doozy.

Sharp-eyed gamers found screenshots on the Nintendo 3DS site [http://e3.nintendo.com/3ds/] that show what is unmistakably a high-fidelity 3DS remake of the legendary Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. This isn't just a port, either - it's gotten a graphical facelift as well, judging by what we can see of Link's decidedly-not-N64-esque face. And seeing as how Ocarina is frequently cited as one of the most beloved games of all time, this could be an incredible system-seller for the 3DS if it's real.

Now, seeing as how it hasn't been announced yet, it's possible that this isn't actually a game, but rather a mock-up tech demo to show what the game could look like on the 3DS hardware. If that's the case, though, it'd be simply cruel: Taunting fans with a modern remake of a beloved classic via a tech demo, only never to deliver? What sort of cruel, soulless beast would do something like that?!

Ooh ... awkward [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101019-Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-Pushed-Even-Further-From-Possibility].

Representatives from The Escapist's E3 Away Team will be at the Nintendo booth later this week. We'll see if we can find out more.

(Oh wait, guys, I just had an awesome idea: FF7 remake for the 3DS? Hell yes.)

(1UP [http://e3.nintendo.com/].)

Keep track of our E3 2010 coverage here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010].

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I was wonderingly aimlessly if regular DS games can be played on the 3ds and vice versa? Is it an updated DS with a massively more impressive screen? Or is it an entirely new system that requires its own games and none others?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I'll comment properly on this when I'm done making wild flailing motions at my screen.

...And it's been confirmed... in the meantime

*FLAIL WILDLY* QUICKNOWRUNALLOVERTHEHOUSEANDTELLRANDOMPEOPLE. *RUN*

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Quaidis said:
I was wonderingly aimlessly if regular DS games can be played on the 3ds and vice versa? Is it an updated DS with a massively more impressive screen? Or is it an entirely new system that requires its own games and none others?
You can turn off the 3D functionality entirely, and as far as I know, it remains backwards compatible with the regular DS.

But otherwise, Nintendo considers it the next iteration of its handheld hardware. Or rather, it is to the DS, what the DS was to the GBA (and the GBA was to the Game Boy/Game Boy Color).

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN HEY LISTEN!

WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT NAVI!?

Ocarina of Time is getting a remake.

Holy Shi--
(Falls into convulsions following nerdgasm overload)

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
John Funk said:
Quaidis said:
You can turn off the 3D functionality entirely, and as far as I know, it remains backwards compatible with the regular DS.

But otherwise, Nintendo considers it the next iteration of its handheld hardware. Or rather, it is to the DS, what the DS was to the GBA (and the GBA was to the Game Boy/Game Boy Color).
Ah, so that saying they would have to make an entirely new section for the 3DS at the game store. I was hoping I could play 3DS games on my DSlite is all. This would hurt considering that I finally bought a DS this spring.

JIst00

Nov 11, 2009
OK 3DS, thats cool and everything, nut why dont the make some new games!!!!!

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
As a person who bought the original DS and didn't upgrade to the Lite or the DSi... VINDICATION!

I wonder what would happen with DSiWare, however.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT

Ok, I retract my statement that the best announcement of E3 was the slim Xbox.

This probably takes it.

-m

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
I jizzed my pants. I'm so hyped for the DS, especially after looking at the graphics of the Kid Icarus game, and seeing the (joy)stick the 3DS has.

And the prospect of a new Kingdom Hearts game on it. And a Metal Gear Solid...and a Resident Evil. And numerous others that they announced.

I try not to be hyped for it, since it'll probably take at the VERY least another year to release it, but eh. I can't help it.

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
I heard that word on the street says it's just a tech demo, not a straight on remake.
BUT I DON"T CARE. I prefer Majora's Mask, but goddamn if I don't love OoT JUST as much, and having it on the go is a dream come true.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
I'm spent Funk.

after 3 hardcore hours of Nerd after Nerd coverage, I had the Big O so many times, my chair is ruined. My hands broken, and my hope high.

The only way to killed me now is to actually report that Bioware was working on KOTR3 all along.

That, will be the final in the coffin.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
HOLY.

CRAP.

And good job with the FFVII remake reference. Heh, you speak the truth.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
I literally shouted "YAAAAAAAY!" at the top of my lungs when I read this. I don't care if it's a straight port, though it's not. I don't care if I'm a sheeple fangirl. OOT is my favorite game EVER, and I have been wanting a DS remake for a bit. This seems even better.