Nintendo Removes Pokemon Bank From Japan 3DS eShop

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Nintendo Removes Pokemon Bank From Japan 3DS eShop

The western release of Pokemon Bank is unclear, and it is unknown when the app will return to Japan's Nintendo eShop.

Nintendo recently removed Pokemon Bank, an application that allows users to store their Pokemon in boxes online as a complement to Pokemon X and Y, from the Japan eShop. The downloadable application arrived in the Japanese eShop on Dec. 27, the original launch date, but due to its removal, the western launch of the app is now unclear.

The Nintendo Network status has experienced difficulties since yesterday and is still experiencing [http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp ] some technical difficulties with online services. With more Wii U and 3DS users connecting to the network on Christmas, along with the Japanese addition of Pokemon Bank, the network service was brought to a standstill. This prompted Nintendo to remove Pokemon Bank. The company has not stated neither when the application will return nor when it will launch for the west. If everything is fixed quickly, Pokemon Bank could launch on Dec. 27 in the west like planned. If not, there will likely be a short amount of time before anyone can deposit Pokemon online.

Nintendo has announced the 30-day trial for previously registered users will restart when the app returns. Currently anyone interested in trying out Pokemon Bank has until Jan. 31, 2014 to download the 30-day trial. Otherwise, the app costs $5 per year. Players who access the app before Sept. 30, 2014 can receive Celebi. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130678-Pokemon-X-and-Ys-First-Legendary-Distribution-is-Celebi]

Users can deposit up to 3,000 Pokemon, and Pokemon can transfer from Pokemon Black and White and Black 2 and White 2 via a separately downloaded application called Poke Transporter. Bringing certain Pokemon from the Generation V games produces "some new events in the Kalos region," but this may mean people you talk to in-game may just gasp at rare Pokemon from the Unova region.

Source: My Nintendo News [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/information/2013/1226.html]

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
The Japanese version of the Pokemon Bank apparently isn't doing a very good job of keeping hacked/illegal Pokemon out of 6th gen games. This may also have something to do with why they removed it from the eShop. That was it's intended purpose, and if it can't manage that, I doubt many people will be happy with having to pay for the service.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
You had two jobs Nintendo and that was to make PokeBank the saviour for stopping hacked Pokemon and generally having the eShop working over Xmas for those of us wanting to transfer Pokemon on the 27th.

Why have you failed at both? :(

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Church185 said:
The Japanese version of the Pokemon Bank apparently isn't doing a very good job of keeping hacked/illegal Pokemon out of 6th gen games. This may also have something to do with why they removed it from the eShop. That was it's intended purpose, and if it can't manage that, I doubt many people will be happy with having to pay for the service.
Yeah, I honestly never had a problem with 'legitimate' hacked pokemon before. Using pokesav or something to just help with the IV's and EV's back when trying to get them through in-game means was just, terrible. With the new mechanics in X and Y, there's less of an issue there, and it goes from being terrible to just obnoxious. Always having perfect hidden power typing is annoying (but less of an issue thanks to hidden power getting nerfed), but if people want to bring in reasonable, normal, pokesav'ed pokemon from black and white, I'm mostly alright with it.

Honestly, the biggest problem, and the one they need to get a grip on if 6th gen competitive is going to remain fair, are hacked legendaries. That was one thing I never liked about the older games. You can't breed legendaries, they literally cannot have perfect IV's and EV's, so hacked legendaries from pokesav should never have been tolerated in the metagame at all. Hopefully Nintendo can at least get a lid on that before the online battles are full of perfect IV/EV'ed Celebis, Jirachis, Keldeos and Latioses, like Black and White, and the sequels, were.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
Does this mean the eShop will come back online soon and start working properly? Really want to download the Pokemon X update but can't because of this.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I don't care. All the Japanese players were bragging about it anyway with their Reshirams and stuff. We don't get it till tomorrow.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
hopefully nobody got all their actual not hacked pokemon trapped in a server they can't get to

i really doubted that they were going to be able to stop the pokesav files, since they couldn't actually stop them before, and since they're based on legit files and generated serial matches, for all intents and purposes the games are unable to distinguish them from nonhacked files besides any obvious discrepancies that can't exist (however, it does not recognize mutually exclusive movesets)

since the last gen's file standards aren't going to change, there's no real way to prevent the hacked pokemon from getting back in without stopping transfers entirely, which is an ugly solution at best

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Did the international date line mess with anyone else's brain? I mean it's about an event that HAPPENED a calendar day in the future.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Dragonbums said:
I don't care. All the Japanese players were bragging about it anyway with their Reshirams and stuff. We don't get it till tomorrow.
I'm starting to doubt we are getting it tomorrow. Unless the eshop troubles stop like right now. I really really REALLY want to transfer my Reshirams over asap. :(

At least I was able to get an Oshawott early.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Gah, this is annoying as I was hoping to upload the entire population of my Pokemon White tomorrow evening, still the wait will be worthwhile if they can further proof the system against hacked pokemon. Hopefully not much longer, my Swampert can't wait...

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
JoJo said:
Gah, this is annoying as I was hoping to upload the entire population of my Pokemon White tomorrow evening, still the wait will be worthwhile if they can further proof the system against hacked pokemon. Hopefully not much longer, my Swampert can't wait...
Your swampert can wait for my Darkrai to rape it in it's nightmares.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
SkarKrow said:
JoJo said:
Yeah, that Darkrai can dream about it all he wants, since he won't be taking part in our non-legendary battle ;-)

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
JoJo said:
SkarKrow said:
JoJo said:
Yeah, that Darkrai can dream about it all he wants, since he won't be taking part in our non-legendary battle ;-)
I suppose that's true.

In which case: Heracross smash!!!

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
rcs619 said:
That was one thing I never liked about the older games. You can't breed legendaries, they literally cannot have perfect IV's and EV's
I don't believe that's true, though I'm not sure. I'm not enough in the Pokémon competitive scene to be confident while saying that. But from my understanding, a Pokémon's IVs can be perfect even if caught in the wild. The chances against it happening are obscenely high of course, but that doesn't make it impossible to happen. And can't someone abuse the RNG in-game in order to make it more likely to get a flawless legend?

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
It's unsurprising that this happened, big online launches usually melt servers these days.
At least they can work the kinks out before I send Pokemon I've been trading up for ten years into the internet. I want to make sure I can get them out of the bank after

The Inquisitive Mug

Jul 11, 2008
This is the first I'm hearing about a Pokemon Bank, so this is good news to me. I've been stressing about whether I would be able to port my Pokemon X mons to the next generation without an actual cartridge (I got the digital download). And I'll be damned if I'm going to throw my best Diamond party away on a game that will most likely be usurped by another gen in the next 2-3 years. But if this Pokemon Bank does what I'm thinking it does, I shouldn't have anything to worry about. Kind of a clever idea, really. Still, I wish it were free, as the only reason one would conceivably need it is because they already paid MORE money to buy the newest, previous, or sister installment of the same damned game. Way to be greedy, Nintendo.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Kapol said:
rcs619 said:
That was one thing I never liked about the older games. You can't breed legendaries, they literally cannot have perfect IV's and EV's
I don't believe that's true, though I'm not sure. I'm not enough in the Pokémon competitive scene to be confident while saying that. But from my understanding, a Pokémon's IVs can be perfect even if caught in the wild. The chances against it happening are obscenely high of course, but that doesn't make it impossible to happen. And can't someone abuse the RNG in-game in order to make it more likely to get a flawless legend?
If they have no life and really, really want a flawless legendary... uhh, maybe? I never even thought to try that, to be honest. Regular IV breeding is bad enough.

It'd be a long-shot, for sure though. Nowadays legendaries are guaranteed to have 2 perfect IV's, but it wasn't always like that. I don't even know what the odds are of finding a legendary with not only perfect IV's across the board, but the correct nature you want too... and I don't know if I want to imagine the kind of person who would try to get one, lol. I always just caught the legendaries, tucked them away in a box and went back to the more interesting pokemon.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Kapol said:
rcs619 said:
As of Gen 6 legendary any Pokemon in the undiscovered egg group (which is basically legendaries, and Nidorina and Nidoqueen) are garunteed to have 3 perfect IV's.

Only Manaphy can be bred for perfect IV's all around.