Nintendo Responsible for 99 Percent Of Industry Growth In 2008

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Nintendo Responsible for 99 Percent Of Industry Growth In 2008

Nintendo [http://www.nintendo.com] says it is almost entirely responsible for the revenue growth experienced by the videogame industry in 2008, which surged 19 percent despite being gripped by recession.

Nintendo once again set record-level sales in December 2008, putting out 2.15 million Nintendo DS [http://www.wii.com] systems. Nintendo also said the Wii racked up annual sales of 10.17 million units in the U.S. in 2008, the first console to reach that mark in a single year. The DS was close behind, punching out 9.95 million units sold over the same period. Both devices broke the previous annual sales record, held by - surprise - Nintendo, which sold 8.52 million DS handhelds in 2007.

The figures didn't live up to the expectations of analysts, as Michael Pachter of optimistic prediction [http://www.wedbushinc.com/] that the company had "a good shot at meeting demand during the holidays," the problem was not declining interest in the system but, once again, Nintendo's inability to meet demand.

"These Wii figures are not any indication that is demand slowing down," Divnich said in a follow-up email. "The Nintendo Wii is going through supply just as quick as they have before, and these numbers merely reflect the large disparity between supply and demand. We still believe the Nintendo Wii would have sold north of 4 million units have supply and demand been in equilibrium."

Despite the shortfall, Nintendo claimed it was solely responsible for 99 percent of the industry's revenue growth in 2008, saying the Wii took 55 percent of all current-gen console sales in 2008 while the DS accounted for 72 percent of handheld sales. Further, the company noted that 20 of the 30 best-selling titles in December, including the top four - Super Smash Bros. Brawl [http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/4SpUUl3-7XKbSPJqBG_aHrThj_sGyJHL] - were for Nintendo platforms. EEDAR's Divnich didn't dispute the claim, saying, "We still believe that Nintendo, with its Wii and DS install base, were the main catalysts behind protecting our industry from seeing the full wrath of the recession in late 2008."

"Our type of entertainment has now moved to the point where there is no longer a question that if you offer consumers an expanded definition of what a video game can be, and deliver that idea with quality and affordability in mind, millions of new people will start playing video games," said Cammie Dunaway, vice president of sales and marketing at Nintendo of America. "Concepts like Wii Fit, Rock Band [http://www.guitarhero.com/] never would have seemed feasible just a few years ago, and now they're driving growth for our the entire industry."

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21888]

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
So games with more mature narratives and themes, the concept of user-created content, and robust online offerings all combine to make up that last 1%?

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
Malygris said:
Despite the shortfall, Nintendo claimed it was solely responsible for 99 percent of the industry's revenue growth in 2008, saying the Wii took 55 percent of all current-gen console sales in 2008 while the DS accounted for 72 percent of handheld sales. Further, the company noted that 20 of the 30 best-selling titles in December
I'm not very good at math, but still... what the hell?

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Too bad all of that money stays in house. Oh well, screw you 3rd party developers!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Well, so much for Nintendo showing humility? I mean, sure they're dominating, no denying that, but that doesn't mean they can be assholes about it...right?

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
this does not surprise me
during the Great Depression movie sales went through the roof because people were depressed and wanted to be entertained so they could escape the depressing reality.

This is the new wave of that and it comes through video games.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Jumplion said:
Well, so much for Nintendo showing humility? I mean, sure they're dominating, no denying that, but that doesn't mean they can be assholes about it...right?
I say throw some salt and grit into the wounds, they deserve it after all of the negative press they get

and then they tell everyone else where to stick it when they beat them the old fashioned way, a superior product sold at low prices will go far

bowserboy26578

Oct 23, 2008
the problem with that is still there though. Half the games coming out are horrible gun wank. So how many mature game coming out in the last year haven't blown in their own way. I'm not saying nintendo is perfect, but atleast the actual nintendo developers are making good games. We can plame 3rd parties for the crap on wii and ds trying to use them as gimmicks.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
JWAN said:
Jumplion said:
I say throw some salt and grit into the wounds, they deserve it after all of the negative press they get

and then they tell everyone else where to stick it when they beat them the old fashioned way, a superior product sold at low prices will go far
Where's the beatings they're getting? What negative press? What negativity at all!?!?! If anything they get praised for doing the things you mention (aside from "superior product because that's objectionable).

Oh sure, there are some guys on the internetz who complain Nintendo is all "casual" and stuff, but they're rich as fuck and everyone praises them for being cheap and all that.

Interestingly enough, I think them saying "99%" instead of "100%" makes them more pompous because then they're saying "Yeah, atleast you other guys did something, but we're beating you motherfuckers so take that" rather than "we did everything!".

Just because they are "winning" this "console-war" doesn't mean they can't show humility. The PS2 is allowed to be pompous because it has actually won that war and the other two previous gen consoles arn't even supported anymore. It's extremely narcissistic to say that they're ruling the world when the other two consoles are still doing fine if not selling as well as the Wii.

But that's world domination for ya.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I hate the Wii more than I hate Fable 2, and I HATED Fable 2. I hope that people who have the first DS don't buy the "updated" version, because that is just fueling the fire of the bullshit that is Nintendo, also a waste of money. Damn you Nintendo, damn you to hell!

Fronken

May 10, 2008
Jumplion said:
It's extremely narcissistic to say that they're ruling the world when the other two consoles are still doing fine if not selling as well as the Wii.
Thats the thing, they arent even close, the Wii has been outselling the ps3 and 360 COMBINED.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Fronken said:
Jumplion said:
It's extremely narcissistic to say that they're ruling the world when the other two consoles are still doing fine if not selling as well as the Wii.
Thats the thing, they arent even close, the Wii has been outselling the ps3 and 360 COMBINED.
So? Back when the Gamecube and Xbox were still supported, were Sony yelling at the top of their lungs "WE'RE RULING 99% OF EVERYTHING!!!"? (well, maybe if you count the whole "Sony saying the Console-war ended in 2005" or something, but I have no idea what they mean by that).

As long as the Ps3 and 360 are supported, Nintendo should not claim that they are 99% the source of everything especially when many people are still disappointed with what Nintendo is doing and/or are disappointed with the Wii itself (myself included).

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Jumplion said:
So? Back when the Gamecube and Xbox were still supported, were Sony yelling at the top of their lungs "WE'RE RULING 99% OF EVERYTHING!!!"? (well, maybe if you count the whole "Sony saying the Console-war ended in 2005" or something, but I have no idea what they mean by that).
I was under the impression that's how Sony entered this generation, what with the really large price tag for the PS3, and, if I remember correctly, "People will buy the PS3 because it's Sony" (of course, I may be wrong).

That said, statistics are easy to manipulate, and I really don't care how well Nintendo (or Sony or Microsoft, for that matter) are doing, as long as they aren't about to go broke, but most importantly, as long as they produce games I like.

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
Bah!... BAH! I SAY...I would rant more coherently, but the influx of shovel ware has rendered me stupid.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
stompy said:
Jumplion said:
I was under the impression that's how Sony entered this generation, what with the really large price tag for the PS3, and, if I remember correctly, "People will buy the PS3 because it's Sony" (of course, I may be wrong).

That said, statistics are easy to manipulate, and I really don't care how well Nintendo (or Sony or Microsoft, for that matter) are doing, as long as they aren't about to go broke, but most importantly, as long as they produce games I like.
Hey, if you sold the world's most successful console, wouldn't you get a little bit cocky?

But I see your point, but Sony (as evily evil they are) never yelled to the world "WE'RE 99% OF EVERYTHING BITCHES!". This's what pisses me off about Nintendo, they get away with so much just because Shiggy "saved gaming". "Oh I'll let this pass" how many times will you let Nintendo off the hook?!?!?

BAH! I'm rambling.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Jumplion said:
But I see your point, but Sony (as evily evil they are) never yelled to the world "WE'RE 99% OF EVERYTHING BITCHES!". This's what pisses me off about Nintendo, they get away with so much just because Shiggy "saved gaming". "Oh I'll let this pass" how many times will you let Nintendo off the hook?!?!?
I think you said it better than I ever could've, Jump:

Hey, if you sold the world's most successful console, wouldn't you get a little bit cocky?

Note: Thanks for reminding me that the NES, and Super Mario Bros, saved gaming.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
stompy said:
Jumplion said:
I think you said it better than I ever could've, Jump:

Note: Thanks for reminding me that the NES, and Super Mario Bros, saved gaming.
God damnit, you are a sneaky bastard arn't you?

Well played man, well played.

I have been owned.