Nintendo Reveals New Amiibos, Arriving March 2015

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Nintendo Reveals New Amiibos, Arriving March 2015

Nintendo's latest wave of new and redesigned amiibos will be arriving in time for the launch of Mario Party 10.

Nintendo's amiibo line has been a smashing success, to the point that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139090-Nintendo-May-Restock-Certain-Sold-Out-Amiibos>it's become very hard to find some of them on store shelves. And that was just for the initial Smash Bros launch - now Nintendo has revealed a new spring line-up of collectibles: Robin, Lucina, Pac-Man, Ness, Charizard, and Wario. Not only that, fans can expect a new line of redesigned Mario amiibos to be released in conjunction with Mario Party 10.

On March 20, redesigned amiibos of Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, Bowser, and the new Toad amiibo will reach store shelves. Compared to the Smash Bros line, these figures will be in more casual position than combative, like how Mario is waving his hand instead of shooting a fireball from it. While these redesigns will arrive alongside Mario Party 10, Mario-related amiibos for Smash Bros will still be compatible with each game. The only downside is that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138553-Amiibos-Dont-Have-Region-Locking-Can-Only-Save-Data-For-One-Game>amiibos won't be able to carry save data for both Smash Bros and Mario Party 10 - players will have to pick one or erase the data.

Activating an amiibo in Mario Party 10 unlocks quite a few features. First of all, it provides access to "amiibo Party" mode, opening up character-specific boards that relating to that amiibo's abilities (the Mario board includes mushrooms, the Luigi board includes vacuums that suck up coins, etc). Players will also be able to attach tokens to their amiibo avatar that gives them an in-game boost, like extra dice during your turn.

If the first wave of amiibo were anything to go on, these latest editions will probably spark yet another scramble to get your favorites before they disappear. Which ones will you be tracking down?

Source: <a href=http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/01-14-2015/#/video-1ndirect>Nintendo Direct

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Robin and Lucina!?
Gonna have to pre-order those, I honestly didn't think they'd be made, Lucina being a "happy mistake" and all. I'll probably buy Charizard as well, cause it's Charizard.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Now to go to bed, and see if in the morning people are gonna gush over this, or call it out for being locked off content.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Redesigns. It's nice that the option exists. I still think the quality seems low, but now I know there's hope for nice versions.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
They're already rolling out redesigned Amiibo(s) of existing characters, when the SSB roster hasn't even been filled out yet. I can understand overlapping the games for characters that don't appear in both, but, if the Amiibo can work on either, why not concentrate on finishing one series before making duplicate characters. (And is the one save limit really a big issue? I got a feeling Amiibo are sought after mostly as collector's items, with the added bonus of gimmicky extras in games.)

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I'll be honest, I really don't like the concept of the redesigned. I mean come on, bowser isn't even out yet and you're announcing his redesign? And even then his redesign doesn't even look that different. Why not start reprinting the amiibos that for god knows what reason are obscenely rare? Seriously why pump out these characters? If it's any indication that all those characters are still in stock at most places, you're either flooding the market with them or people just don't love your main cast as much as you think they do.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I reaaaaaally don't get the Ammibo Craze. Is it the DLC attached to them or simply the figurine itself? And if it's because of the figurines, didn't Nintendo already have mascot merch before this?

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Eclipse Dragon said:
Robin and Lucina!?
Gonna have to pre-order those
I'd make it your number one priority to midnight "release" preorder them. Seriously the amiibo craze has only gone more rabid as time went on. And Robin and Lucina will no doubt be high on the list for scalper trash and desperate fans.

OT: I might get the Mario Party Yoshi one since I like the pose more. Other than that I'm only interested in Charizard, and I already placed my order for a Japanese imported Lucario.

Still no Bowser Jr. Or Duckhunt. But good things come to those who wait and all that.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Hairless Mammoth said:
They're already rolling out redesigned Amiibo(s) of existing characters, when the SSB roster hasn't even been filled out yet. I can understand overlapping the games for characters that don't appear in both, but, if the Amiibo can work on either, why not concentrate on finishing one series before making duplicate characters. (And is the one save limit really a big issue? I got a feeling Amiibo are sought after mostly as collector's items, with the added bonus of gimmicky extras in games.)
I wouldn't call it a redesign more than just a different pose. I'll be honest I don't quite like the Smash Bros Bowser Amiibo.

Something about the pose and the weird realistic details (like the scales.) on an otherwise cartoonish character just put me off.

The Mario Party one looks much better. Has less "Smash" details and fits Bowser a bit more.

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
Better get my boy Ness or he'll be sold out. I don't expect any new Mother games in the next 300 years gut hey, official Mother merch, yes please.