Nintendo Reveals Wii U Launch Date, Price

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Nintendo Reveals Wii U Launch Date, Price

The Wii U will kick off the next console generation this November.

After months of speculation from gamers and the press about when the Wii U would launch, Nintendo revealed its next console's official release date at a press conference in New York City. The Wii U will be available in North America on Sunday, November 18.

The console will be launching in two separate bundles. The basic bundle will have a white Wii U console, the GamePad controller, a sensor bar, AC adapters, an HDMI cable, and 8GB memory. The premium bundle comes with all of that, except the console and GamePad will be black, not white. It also comes bundled with Nintendo Land, a console stand, and a GamePad charging cradle. The premium Wii U has 32GB memory.

The basic bundle will be $299.99, and the premium will be $349.99.

Now that the big news is out, it probably won't be long before retailers start taking pre-orders for Nintendo's next console. We'll have more Wii U news coming out of Nintendo's press conference today, so stay tuned.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
The price sounds reasonable IMO. It'll be interesting to see if all the people that weren't previously gamers but bought the Wii will adopt the Wii U as well.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
On behalf of my retail brethren, I would like to say that it has been an honor serving with you.

Black Friday is going to be MURDER.

gentlemanghost

Jul 7, 2011
Oh, wow! A video game system with EIGHT gigs of memory? Did I time-travel to 2001? The original XBox had an 8 GB hard drive. Most of today's cell phones have a standard 16GB capacity. Good job keeping up with technology Nintendo

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
I remember back in 2006 and I was 12 waiting on pins and needles for Nintendo to tell us what the release date was, and then nearly dying of excitement by the time November 19 rolled around.

Now, I am going to need to see a launch line up before I start getting excited.

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
If I am not mistaken, Japan gets 2 gamepads in its Deluxe version, which could possibly explain the cheapness of the American price, also, the strength of the Yen and all that jazz. I am disappointed that the American Deluxe version does not come with a second game pad though.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
So how long until Sony and Microsoft announce price drops?

The price is decent but 8-32 GB storage worries me. Why so small?

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Well, at least I was right about Nintendo releasing their next console before Microsoft and Sony; good thing too because the Wii, IMO, was the weaker of the three consoles.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:

Maybe Nintendo has figuered out how to store more on less space.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
JeanLuc761 said:
On behalf of my retail brethren, I would like to say that it has been an honor serving with you.

Black Friday is going to be MURDER.
Especially of the competition decides to announce price drops or big sales.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
Whoa! Wait, what? They're launching it this November? Or is that 2013? And what are the games? Is there a new Mario, Metroid, or Link?

Kinda feel like I've missed the boat somewhere.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:

The ability to use a non propriety SDXC/HDD more than make up for it.
Also Bayonetta 2 Wii u exclusive

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
ssgt splatter said:
AzrealMaximillion said:

Maybe Nintendo has figuered out how to store more on less space.
This is more space than they've ever handled though. And not to start a flame war but the other 2 consoles came out with 80-120 GB to start with the 360 not needing to install games on its hard drive. We'll see how it works out though.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
renegade7 said:
I remember back in 2006 and I was 12 waiting on pins and needles for Nintendo to tell us what the release date was, and then nearly dying of excitement by the time November 19 rolled around.

Now, I am going to need to see a launch line up before I start getting excited.
... oh god I'm so old.

Anyway.

Another $300 I'll be saving.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
I am hoping that there is a good line up for this one. Perhaps the increase in power can mean less casual games (not that I have anything against casual games) and more 'hardcore' titles. Price also looks pretty good when you compare it to the PS3 and 360 when they launched. Kinda like the fact that the special edition is only $50 more than the normal one.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
AzrealMaximillion said:

The ability to use a non propriety SDXC/HDD more than make up for it.
Also Bayonetta 2 Wii u exclusive
Uh, Bayonetta 2 is still in borderline "cancelled" status, I don't think its exclusive anything at this point. There's been no details on it and we've been told we're getting Veiwtiful Joe 3 before Bayonetta 2.

My point is Bayonetta 2 may not be an exclusive when it actually gets released.