Nintendo Says No To Same Sex Relationships For Tomodachi Miis

Mike Lemond

Jan 20, 2014
Then I'll expect you'll wait a rather long while, if you think the word "terrorism" automatically implies physical violence.

Shall I use a different word to describe the (string of random letters) community?

How about religion.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
RatherDull said:
Eve Charm said:
RatherDull said:
Fasckira said:
RatherDull said:
Well, that's one more company to add to the block list for homophobia.

Such a shame, I really liked Nintendo too.
I wouldn't be so quick to judge them, they've got to keep in mind what the current viewpoint in their home country is as opposed to what they may feel.
Home country view is irrelevant when they're so deeply involved with Western affairs.
Well to be fair, people asked for a game that was already made, be brought over for the west, so they did. Despite the bad reporting, this was never an option in the game, and the US version is the same code as the original version. the game wasn't made with western affairs in mind.
Then it should have been in the original game.

We didn't excuse Chik-fil-a for coming from a Christian background and we shouldn't excuse Nintendo here.
No, Japanese companies should not have to give into pressure from people that want to act like Ugly American{footnote] I say Americans, but I mean the West.[/footnote] towards a Japanese game that was made by a Japanese company and was targeted towards a Japanese audience. By all means don't buy the game, boycott it, get pissed off about it, or whatever but don't expect Nintendo to fall-in-line and only make games that abide by Western values.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
That would be funny if the analogy worked, but as it stands you're comparing a product that claims to have a wider range than it actually offers, and a service that markets the only thing that it sells. Nobody thinks you can have steak at McDonald's, but a "life simulator" that needlessly limits human relationships is eye-catching.
So then I assume that it would also "needlessly limi[t] human relationships" if the game didn't have corrupt politicians, tax collectors, verbally abusive boyfriends that go after girls with low confidence, or victims of violence and/or rape in the "life simulator"?

Seriously, since when does the game have to contain every aspect of human relationships?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
RatherDull said:
When it comes to issues of LGBTQ, if you're not with us then you're part of the problem.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

Furthermore, saying "if you're not with us, you're against us", means you're effectively making (more) enemies for yourself where there are none.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Ya know, the sad thing is that I really do believe Nintendo when they say they weren't trying to make any social commentary. Unfortunately, because of how same-sex relationships are viewed in Japan, Nintendo probably didn't quite understand why this would be a big deal to their western audience.

That said, I can't see it as something that would be that hard to add in. If enough of their potential customers would like to see the feature included, and the bug proves it's completely possible, I can't see why they wouldn't at least consider it.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Sheo_Dagana said:
Ya know, the sad thing is that I really do believe Nintendo when they say they weren't trying to make any social commentary. Unfortunately, because of how same-sex relationships are viewed in Japan, Nintendo probably didn't quite understand why this would be a big deal to their western audience.
Oh they understand it just fine.

It's just that they are trying to stick to their vision and intention for the game. I know right, how dare a developer do that?

Also in Japan there is no such thing as "discrimination" in media/entertainment. There is a simple unspoken understanding that media/entertainment CAN aimed at certain demographics and target audiences (and not others), which is totally fine.

That's why you have all sorts of weird stuff coming out of Japan all the time and don't hear about people taking offence for not being catered to.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Helmholtz Watson said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
That would be funny if the analogy worked, but as it stands you're comparing a product that claims to have a wider range than it actually offers, and a service that markets the only thing that it sells. Nobody thinks you can have steak at McDonald's, but a "life simulator" that needlessly limits human relationships is eye-catching.
So then I assume that it would also "needlessly limi[t] human relationships" if the game didn't have corrupt politicians, tax collectors, verbally abusive boyfriends that go after girls with low confidence, or victims of violence and/or rape in the "life simulator"?

Seriously, since when does the game have to contain every aspect of human relationships?
Not EVERY aspect but if dating is going to be a core factor of gameplay/simulation why restrict that to heterosexual relationships?

DeaDRabbiT

Sep 25, 2010
Dr.Awkward said:
It's a simple decision, Nintendo. Despite your adamant stance on the subject, some traditions need to die due to its narrow-minded background.
Tradition related to procreation and the survival of our species is a "narrow minded background"?

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Not EVERY aspect but if dating is going to be a core factor of gameplay/simulation why restrict that to heterosexual relationships?
Because the game was made by Japanese developers and it was created with Japanese people as the target audience and it shouldn't be a surprise that Japanese games might be reflective of Japanese cultural norms? If your looking for more reasons why, how about the fact that Japanese game developers should be forced to fall-in-line and conform to Western norms?