Nintendo Says No to Skyward Sword Southpaw Mode

minuialear

Jun 15, 2010
Ugh, apparently this double-posted; sorry.

bjj hero said:
I raised my hand and said I was left handed. His response?

"There were no left handed swords men in Japan so take the boken in your right hand..."

That is the last time I did Iaido. Why study an art where you start at a disadvantage to everyone else around you? He was a real prick.
To be fair, you shouldn't call someone a prick just because (s)he want you to conform to the traditions of a cultural art. That's the point of learning the art (as opposed to self-training yourself to do a bunch of fancy things): not only to learn the moves, but to learn about the culture/history behind it. And yes, handedness was a significant part of Japanese culture (and to some extent still is); read up on it.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
minuialear said:
To be fair, you shouldn't call someone a prick just because (s)he want you to conform to the traditions of a cultural art. That's the point of learning the art (as opposed to self-training yourself to do a bunch of fancy things): not only to learn the moves, but to learn about the culture/history behind it. And yes, handedness was a significant part of Japanese culture (and to some extent still is); read up on it.
Even if this is the case then he explained it like a prick, there are ways to do it. Right handedness has a place in European culture also, going back 50 years or so if you were left handed a school would often try to make you write with your right.

It is discrimination. I would not be diluting his "art" by using my left hand, I would however have more control and better stamina. Lots of things were considered bad in the past but are acceptable now, times change.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
That's why i keep saying we live in a right handed racist world, but will anyone listen? NO!
And that's only because i'm left handed, i tell you.

Hopefully they'll change it back on the Wii U.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I'm generally left-handed in sport-like activities. So, yeah. What's up, Nintendo?

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
Mana Fiend said:
Besides, everybody knows all the best sword-fighters are lefties, especially with a sword and shield. It's why spiral staircases are built as they are.
What do spiral staircases have to do with left handed swordfighters?

We'll have to do with Nero, Sephiroth, Loz, Yazoo, Kadaj and Raphael I suppose :(

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
There was confusion surrounding the existence of a left-handed mode in Skyward Sword, thanks in no small part to a video report [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBhQgTk_IN0&feature=player_embedded] by IGN, which said that it was an option players could pick when they started playing the game. This information was seemingly false, however, with Nintendo confirming the game's right-handedness to Kotaku's Stephen Totilo.
IGN made up something that turned out to be completely false? How expected. If I had a dollar for every time IGN did that, I'd be rich right now.

Remind me why IGN still gets any traffic. Do people like being lied to?

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Aw, that kinda sucks. I'm a wannabe ambidex, so I wanted to try out the game as a lefty. It feels more authentic that way anyway. Still getting the game regardless.

the spud

May 2, 2011
It's OK guys, they are just making link right handed for the 90% of us who were born without the horrible genetic defect known as being "Left handed". Link is still a lefty on the handhelds.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Well, I was going to comment on why Nintendo didnt bother with lefty control scheme... but im more interested in why people are so upset the Link is right-handed now...

Guess Ill add that to the list of "Things Zelda fans say that really doesnt make much sense"...

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Eh, no big deal. I think it can be assumed that each 'Link' is more or less different. The Link who traveled to Clock Town is a different Link than the Link who sailed across the open seas and that Link is a different Link than the one who tried to awaken Zelda as hoards of evil creatures tried to revive the Pig Gannon. I just hope the game plays well when I finally break down and get it.

minuialear

Jun 15, 2010
bjj hero said:
minuialear said:
Even if this is the case then he explained it like a prick, there are ways to do it. Right handedness has a place in European culture also, going back 50 years or so if you were left handed a school would often try to make you write with your right.

It is discrimination. I would not be diluting his "art" by using my left hand, I would however have more control and better stamina. Lots of things were considered bad in the past but are acceptable now, times change.
There is a stronger cultural significance to which hand you use in Japanese culture (again, read about it). Plus the Japanese are significantly more nationalistic when it comes to their traditions/cultures than most if not all Western nations. Whether or not it's discriminatory is another story, but considering you chose to indulge in another culture's activity, you can't get indignant when the person teaching you that culture won't allow you to change the nature of how things are done in order to make you feel more comfortable about it.

I don't fault you for stopping the training at that point, because if you felt uncomfortable using your right hand you have the right to not participate in the activity, just as you have the right to not like having to do something that is unnatural to you. HOWEVER, you don't get to call someone a prick for telling you to obey the nature of the culture that (s)he is teaching you. Again, the instructor wasn't just teaching you how to fight; no martial art is just about fighting. Martial arts are as much about culture as they are about fighting, and regardless of whether you agree with the cultural requirements or not, you don't call someone a prick for telling you that you have to follow those requirements in a class heavily tied to cultural tradition.

EDIT to add: And I don't get how telling you that Japanese swordsmen weren't left-handed, so you can't use your left hand, is prickish behavior. He told you a cultural fact and then told you to obey the cultural requirement. From what you've stated so far it sounds like he could have sat you down on his lap and told you about all the reasons why the culture requires people to be right-handed, and you still would have argued that you should get to defy that requirement because you don't wanna use your right arm. So besides him letting you do what you wanted, how could he have explained it in a manner that you would have accepted?

deus-ex-machina

Jan 22, 2010
I dunno about other people who are left handed, but having played games 'right handed' the whole of my gaming life from the SNES onwards, with directions in left hand and other buttons in the right hand, I can't say I've ever felt any different. I often try to switch to 'leftie' mode then have to switch back because it actually feels uncomfortable.

The only people who I can see struggling out of the 10% of the population who are meant to be left handed are those where the Wii is their first console and they haven't adjusted. I can't play Guitar Hero lefty mode to save my life. For the record, I'm not close to being ambidextrous either - I can scrawl with my right hand and make it viewable but my usual hand writing it damn nice.

So I don't think this should be a bother to anyone and especially not those older gamers who know how to control with the left hand anyway.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
Argh... the right handed controls killed Twilight princess for me. I'm so used to moving the thumbstick with left thumb, but swinging the wiimote with my right hand was just so awkward, as was moving with my right thumb.

snowbear

May 31, 2011
Hmmm something so small outrages so many. Really you care which hand he holds his sword in? Im a huge Zelda fan and I really couldnt care less. If they felt the need to change it so it felt more natural to the majority of players then so be it.

There will always be people that feel agrived by something, its just lefties turn in this game. I for example hate it when 3D is forced upon me when I cant see it and it ruins the experiance for me, giving me massive head aches. Do I Shun the devs for doing what they feel right... no!

If you feel you have to miss out on what will be an amazing game then your loss.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Well that sucks. I'm not left handed myself, but the left handed option should be there without a doubt. Especially considering how Link is always traditionally left handed himself. Hopefully they will go back to left handed Link on WiiU.

Oh, and I've learnt not to take confirmation of stuff like this from IGN as sound unless other sources agree. They confirmed on 2 separate occasions that Forza 4 has night racing. That was a lie.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
ThisIsSnake said:
Mana Fiend said:
Besides, everybody knows all the best sword-fighters are lefties, especially with a sword and shield. It's why spiral staircases are built as they are.
What do spiral staircases have to do with left handed swordfighters?

We'll have to do with Nero, Sephiroth, Loz, Yazoo, Kadaj and Raphael I suppose :(
Exactly - no one! ;)

And to quote the bastion of knowledge we mere mortals can only know as Wikipedia (mostly because they phrase it better than I can): Left-handed swordsmen were eagerly sought for castle invasions. Spiral staircases and towers spiral clockwise going up. Usually this meant that the (predominantly right-handed) defenders up the stairs had a good angle to swing swords and other weapons down at attackers. Conversely, right-handed attackers would find the weapons constantly colliding with the central pillar of the stairs. Hence the desire for left-handed attackers.

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
why are people complaining that link is right handed in this one? In all previous games i was to busy hacking away at bad guys to notice which hand he had his sword in (does it really matter anyway?)

OriginalLadders

Sep 29, 2011
...How does this in any way prevent left-handed people from playing the game left-handed? All this means is the character on screen will not be doing the exact same thing as the player, but when you play a Wii game that never happens anyway unless the player makes a deliberate effort to match the character model movement for movement.