Nintendo Says Video Streaming Services Will Come to Switch "in Time"

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Says Video Streaming Services Will Come to Switch "in Time"

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1375/1375462.jpg
Nintendo says that services like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon video will come to the Switch "in time," but are not a priority.

One of the things that hurt the Nintendo Switch's launch was the The Washington Post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169307-Report-No-Netflix-on-Nintendo-Switch-at-Launch], Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime addressed this issue, stating that Nintendo is working on bringing streaming services to the console, but it isn't as big as a priority as providing a differentiating gameplay experience.

"We're talking to a range of companies about other services, companies like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon - things that will come in time," said Fils-Aime. "In our view, these are not differentiators. What differentiates us is the way you play with the Nintendo Switch and what you can play. And that will continue to be our focus into the future as we continue driving this platform."

Fils-Amie also addressed another big concern for the Switch - a distinct lack of launch titles. "When you think about a new platform, what will define it as a long-term success are the ongoing range of games and experiences that come to the platform - not what's available on Day One," he said.

"My answer is to look at the games that have been announced and are in development, and that should drive your purchase decision."

Source: The Washington Post [https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/03/08/nintendos-u-s-ceo-responds-to-our-biggest-gripes-with-the-switch/?utm_term=.3ada82a53a94]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
But how can streaming services be used on a device that goes wonky if it is too close to things?

And it sounds like Fils-Amie is try to skirt the issue that 3rd party developers don't like the consoles lack of hardware.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
008Zulu said:
But how can streaming services be used on a device that goes wonky if it is too close to things?
It has multiplayer capabilities already. So that shouldn't be the issue... But it would make a lot of sense on the other hand.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
No Reggie, I'm not going to base my purchasing decisions on promises. It's why I don't pre-order games.
Also you didn't think streaming services were a priority? Ok sure, but apparently you didn't consider having the hardware actually work properly a priority either.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
To be frank why would someone buy a switch for Netflix when you can practically get it on anything else these days? Also I like Reggie's handwaving, "our console is successful, after all look at all unreleased and unannounced games in the future that everyone will be buying for their switch." Reggie Fils-Aime, Spokesperson, businessman, clairvoyant.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Nile McMorrow said:
To be frank why would someone buy a switch for Netflix when you can practically get it on anything else these days? Also I like Reggie's handwaving, "our console is successful, after all look at all unreleased and unannounced games in the future that everyone will be buying for their switch." Reggie Fils-Aime, Spokesperson, businessman, clairvoyant.
You don't buy a Switch for Netflix, but the fact that an internet-capable console or mobile device (the Switch is trying to be both) doesn't have a feature that is guaranteed to be on every single other device in the market is stupid. Having Netflix isn't a reason to buy the Switch, however not having Netflix could easily be an additional reason not to buy one.

If Ninty thinks this will be used both on-the-go and at home, why wouldn't they include such a basic feature?

Also, corporations should be banned from using Soon[sup]tm[/sup] when talking about an upcoming product...

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Nile McMorrow said:
To be frank why would someone buy a switch for Netflix when you can practically get it on anything else these days?
Well I wouldn't buy it for Netflix or Amazon Prime but since the Switch would be taking the place of my tablet when I was out and about, it would be nice of those options were available.

True I would still have my phone but I'd rather be watching on the Switch with its 6.2 inch screen and stand than my 5 inch phone, which I'd have to find someway to prop up.

Netflix and the like are considered basic features on a mobile device these days, hell even the 3DS has Netflix, so their omission on the Switch seems very odd.

Thurston

Nov 1, 2007
Kinda like showing a car, but saying it won't have a radio/CD/Aux. "Our car's performance will sell it."

Customers expect certain common features on their purchases. Sound systems on cars. Snooze buttons on clock radios. Netflix on mobile devices.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I can understand the way people think about this.

For me personally, the fact that these services are or are not there is no big deal. I bought it to play games.

My bigger question is: Why were they not there from the beginning?
I mean the proper reason, do they see it as a threath for hackers to come in somehow? Were they worried it might bug out the software somehow?
Because as many have said, these things are considered standard these days, and even if for me didn't make me ponder if I should or shouldn't buy the console, for many it seems to be a thing.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Guffe said:
My bigger question is: Why were they not there from the beginning?
Because most online architecture and features, including a pay-to-access online community, will be "coming soon". Given that is in their stack of promises, I would guess Netflix and other International commodities that can be accessed from almost anything with Internet access is pretty low in their priorities.