Nintendo Says You're Playing Kid Icarus: Uprising Wrong

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
evilneko said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Is this the biggest dev yet to pull the "You're playing it wrong" line?
Pretty sure Apple's bigger than Nintendo.
I'm pretty sure, too, but that sort of brings up the problem that I'm unfamiliar with any instance in which apple has actually said it.

Pandaman1911 said:
I think so. This is sort of the developer equivalent of "NO YOU" in response to criticism, isn't it?
It's part of the "we are perfect, you just suck" way of doing things.

Formica Archonis said:
Or alternately everyone switches over to the other scheme en masse (probably what would've happened) and we're all happy. Or some people are willing to trade the performance for comfort because they don't want to be sore after playing a game.
Additionally, if the current scheme causes most people trouble, why would they still be at an advantage? The only people I can see being at an advantage are the ones who find the control scheme comfortable, and they're already at an advantage.

Oh, wait, I know one group at a disadvantage: LEFTIES. Retro Gamer's praise-packed review stopped for a paragraph to specifically complain about the controls, especially how they were even worse for people who are left-handed, and questioning why they weren't more configurable.

So not only is their comment on balance a crock, the built-in scheme unbalances the game for 10% of the population.
Doesn't Nintendo frequently shaft lefties? I get the impression that they really don't care.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
evilneko said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Is this the biggest dev yet to pull the "You're playing it wrong" line?
Pretty sure Apple's bigger than Nintendo.
I'm pretty sure, too, but that sort of brings up the problem that I'm unfamiliar with any instance in which apple has actually said it.
Iphone 4. "You're holding it wrong." Yeah, that was a thing.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Before Seeing The Comments: There are going to be a lot of people saying "No, FUCK. YOU." in the comments, aren't there?

After Seeing The Comments: Yep, There are a lot of people saying "No, FUCK. YOU." in the comments.

OT: I do understand some of Sakurai's comments; every good player of the multiplayer would be using the stylus-&-circle-pad option because it allows for greater cursor control. However, considering that Kid Icarus: Uprising is a very heavy single-player game, not including the option to use the Cirlce Pad Pro isn't justifiable in this scenario. Now granted, I didn't find the controls to be that bad, but I can definitely see why some people are extremely upset, especially when an established standard has already been in place for a long time when it comes to 3D shooters.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
You make crappy controls, you claim people ain't playing it right.

Uck!

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
So the excuse they give for a poorly implemented and frustrating control scheme is simply 'YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!' Stay classy Nintendo. Stay classy.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Covarr said:
It wasn't a problem in Metroid Prime: Hunters. Why is it suddenly a problem now?

P.S. Thanks
It never seemed to be a problem for pretty much every DS FPS ever made.

Honestly I never thought ANYONE would have this problem so the outrage over "bad controls" was quite jarring...

Bout the worst thing I can sling at the controls was the lack of customization and the lack of a lefty option (Circle Pad Pro... as much as I hate the thing I can see a very clear use in that regard)

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Covarr said:
It wasn't a problem in Metroid Prime: Hunters. Why is it suddenly a problem now?

P.S. Thanks
I was thinking the same thing, I didn't hear a lot of complaints at the time. Although I think a lot games like that had the option to use the letter face buttons as a second d pad. Choice is always better and multiply balance isn't an excuse unless it uses that adaptor.

In any case after TWEWY I don't think there is a DS control scheme that is too hard to learn.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
The FIRST rule of interface design is that if everyone expects something to function in a certain way, and they get frustrated because it functions differently, you've messed up. An interface should always be as intuitive as possible, it doesn't matter if making button X do function Y instead of button Z, if everyone expects it do do something you make it do that. Failing that you put heaps on effort into conveying the changes properly. Doesn't seem like Sakurai did either.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Yep, they should definitely fire Sakurai.

Out of a cannon.

Into a brick wall.

But seriously, Sakurai has said way too many stupid things for me to trust Nintendo. You can probably just hire any of the people on this thread and they could improve the control scheme.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Metroid Hunters used a similar control system. D-pad to move and stylus to aim. However they did have it so that shooting was done by tapping the touch screen, IIRC, and I thought it was one of the best DS games. Its a shame Kid Icarus appears to have messed it up.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Samus Aaron said:
Woah, hold on! Nintendo is not saying "You're playing it wrong." Nowhere in the article does Nintendo say anything along those lines. It's recommending a different style of play, not outright attacking players' choices. While the title of this article isn't an outright lie (although by writing 'Nintendo says', the author might as well be putting words into the company's mouth), there is no denying that the author of this article is writing this news in a deceptive, borderline sensationalist manner.
Well he has said don't play it this why play it my way and that is telling someone that they are playing it wrong and frankly as the the shipped with a stand he can just shut up anyway.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
cursedseishi said:
Doclector said:
Crono1973 said:
Doclector said:
Remind me, who were the last people to do that stuff? I can't remember, they either said "you're playing it wrong!" or "you just suck at it". Either way, and whoever it was, it was physically painful to read, just as this is.
Was it Nintendo in reference to Skyward Sword?
Hmm. I don't remember it being that...was it duke nukem forever? I coulda sworn it was more recent, though...
I believe you are thinking of the Amy developers. They claimed that the game-breaking bugs were just people sucking at their game.

Also, a nice big f%^& you to Nintendo too. I'm a lefty, stylus controls are already a bit of a pain in the ass, just like your non-switchable motion controls. Ever played a game that required pinpoint movements, then try doing them with everything reversed? Not fun.

And just to make their screwed up control setup work, I have to buy the circle-pro addon for the 3DS. Of course, work is just a subjective word because its more than obvious that it isn't all that functional from the start.

I'll say this though, it would be almost impossible to "suck" at Skyward Sword. For all the hype that game has received with its one-to-one sword-fighting and all the "skill" it will take, you can give a spastic 3yr old the wii-mote and he can get through pretty much everything just by waggling it left and right like a nut. Hell, its even more effective than trying to play right for the most part!

I think we're hitting a point where Nintendo might of struck themselves in the head with a wii-mote, and are no longer capable of understanding the most basic of game concepts.

Just don't let Moviebob hear me say that, he might get offended.
yep, that was it. Dear god that game was a disapointment. I thought the consoles might finally be getting some true survival horror, bought MS points in preparation and then...well, I haven't played a worse game this year. Matter of fact, I haven't for a few years. The last time I played a game that bad was probably a few years ago with "alone in the dark".

As for nintendo, they really have annoyed me recently. To me, it seems like they've spent the last five years or so being a massive tease to their fans, always promising and hinting the games that everyone wanted, and delivering to the casual crowd. Nothing wrong with casual gaming, but when you practically promise some hardcore games, you need to follow up on that, especially if it's such loyal fans who kept you afloat when your home console was being devastatingly underrated.

Then out comes the 3DS, and the con is complete. "Hey, those games you kept asking for are here! Buy our new £200+ handheld to play them!" god knows how it'll get when it comes to the wiiU. Maybe if the flow of hardcore titles continues, I could one day find myself forgiving them, but for now, I wait for the point where the con starts anew, and they tease a bunch of new titles that won't come out until the DSmove/DScam/DSlick.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Ha-hah.

First Bioware with "You didn't understand the ending", now Nintendo "You didn't understand our game".

What's next? Bethesda explaining bugs with "You didn't acknowledge the amazing new features"?

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
Did anyone read the article? Or just assumed everything after the title?

They aren't saying players are playing the game wrong. They just explain why they didn't put in other control schemes and then they say what amounts to "loosen up a little". IMO "Relax" is not equal to saying "You're playing the game wrong!"

Sure they probably should've said "Sorry about that guys, but seriously, relax and loosen up a bit and it won't be as bad as everyone says it is."

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I'm sorry, but why on earth would you release this game on the 3DS and not the Wii, when the control scheme is clearly designed for Wiimote/Nunchuk controls?

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
I haven't played the game but would it not be easier to completely change the control scheme to something like every fps/tps on console and ditch the scheme which requires a plastic stand? I mean, the game cant require that sort of speed in single player/coop.

I also have never seen the touch screen used in a way that didn't feel completely gimmicky.