Nintendo Shares Digital File Sizes For Some Switch Titles

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
chefzeff said:
Ah so Ninty has brought us back to the days of PS1/2 and N64 memory cards where we have to remember exactly which card in the stack holds each persons' save files for any given game. Fun times. Everyone say "Thank you!" and bend on over!

Edit: Gotta love that progress Nintendo keeps pushing on the game industry.
Its okay when sony does it guess :^) Did you complain about the Vita too?
Um no... But then again, Sony never tried to pass off the Vita as a full home console either.

chefzeff said:
Ofcourse you didnt, despite it having a whopping storage space of ZERO gigs.

Again, if Nintendo wasn't trying to pretend a half-baked handheld was a home console, I wouldn't really be bothering either.

chefzeff said:
Did you complain about the PS4 only being able to store 10 games at best unless you paid out the nose for the 1TB upgrade?
Bad choice of examples here mate considering the Switch can't even hold 8 games that are equal in size to the average of the ones in the article. And considering that the Switch is also supposed to hold "all" of the apps, virtual console, and digital downloads as well, yeah..... Bad example chief.

chefzeff said:
Your saves are stored on the unit itself, or the cartridge if you're physical.
Ah, so your saves for every game eat even more into the meager 32GB? Well, ain't that just dandy.

This whole crap screams of the same shit the big N is doing with making every single item for the switch except the handheld itself as extra peripherals to buy on top of the unit.

Also, do you have any proof of these claims, or are you just making things up to trying and argue your point that "Ninty is a do-no-evil benevolent entity that exists for the sole purpose of giving gamers everything they ever wanted (along with that they never knew they wanted)"?

Protip: Actually quote peoples' posts when you're responding to them so they get a notification. Otherwise it just seems like you're trying to make a rebuttal without wanting to be critiqued.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Avnger said:
Ah so Ninty has brought us back to the days of PS1/2 and N64 memory cards where we have to remember exactly which card in the stack holds each persons' save files for any given game. Fun times. Everyone say "Thank you!" and bend on over!

Wait, you didn't use a marker or color coding for your cards? Wasn't that part of the benefit for the things being different colors? Also pretty sure no N64 game used memory cards, unless I'm forgetting something.
I somehow ended up with like 6 of the exact same green ones -.-

And yeah, there were save cartridges that you had to buy a plugin to the bottom of the N64 controller and then a card to go into the plugin. Battletanx, for example, had a save feature that used them.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
chefzeff said:

Its okay when sony does it guess :^) Did you complain about the Vita too?
Most people did, did you miss all the complaints about the proprietary memory card and how it was a hidden cost? That was one of the big reasons the Vita failed in my opinion.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
WeepingAngels said:
Avnger said:
chefzeff said:
Wrex Brogan said:
-looks up from my 1TB PS4- wait, the Switch has how much space? I've got USBs that are bigger than that, what the hell. My phone has more space on it. I just... god damn, that makes no sense.
1)your PS4 costs more
2) your pS4 is 40 times bigger
3) your pS4 doesnt have to run on a battery
4) the piss4 is retarded and installs ALL games, even physical copies, to the HD.
5) the pS4 is full of unoptimized shovelware like black ops 3 which is about 70 gigs in size, while
having nearly no content.

llubtoille said:
Ideally they would have multiple versions available. This is fine for those who buy physical, but it would be nice to have a more expensive larger option if you want all your games always installed.
There is, its called "buy a microSD card. Which are cheap as shit. Be glad Nintendo isnt anticonsumer like sony, and forces you to buy overpriced proprietary memory cards that cost up to 100 bucks for 64 gig

I love memory cards. See, I usually have multiples of a console in different rooms. Moving save data was easier then, grab your disc and your memory card and move to a different console. With hard drives you have to transfer your save to an SD Card or a USB stick and hope it's not a locked save.
Fair enough; that is a good use case for them. I've definitely done the USB thing with PC saves before.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
How many switches would you need to fuse together to handle the beast that is the DOOM file size? That thing owns like 1/3 of my PS4's drive and I haven't played it in forever/ will never touch multi.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
altnameJag said:
Hmm, I'm thinking they should've just charged 325-350 and had a 128gb card in there.
It'd put the console in a bad price range in comparison to the other consoles. PS4s are now $350 in the US. The Switch costing the same would have it ridiculed due to the hardware comparison.

And that carries on into international markets too. Here in Canada the Switch is $400. A PS4 is $430. And the controller price don't help. And the fact that if you're going to force gamers to buy an SD card for a respectable amount of Memory, the Switch's price point isn't as attractive as it seems. With a bigger internal memory upgrade or not. This is a weird position the Switch and Nintendo are in.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ahh the Nintendo Defence Force. I thought they went and circlejerked on NeoGaf.

chefzeff said:
1)your PS4 costs more

Plus i was actually able to buy a PS4 on launch...

...and lets not mention that according to this article purchasing at least one MicroSD card will be nessessary.

chefzeff said:
2) your pS4 is 40 times bigger
The point being we have the space for it. Plus while the switch itself is small the dock that comes with it isnt.

chefzeff said:
3) your pS4 doesnt have to run on a battery
This is a GOOD thing.

I dont get why people are championing this aspect of the Switch. Instead of trying to be as good as its direct competitors and maybe even as good as PC it neuters and mutilates itself in an attempt to access the handheld market as well.

A handheld market in which, rumor has it, Nintendo is working on the true successor to the 3DS. The very concept of the Switch is flawed and Nintendo are allegedly going to end up competing with itself.

And batteries have a limited operational life, especially when they need to get charged on a regular basis. Its happened to my laptops, its happening to my Kindle and 3DS and i were bothered to use the bloody thing id probably find it happening to my smartphone too.

chefzeff said:
4) the piss4 is retarded and installs ALL games, even physical copies, to the HD.
Well this is the one flaw with disc based media. It takes time to read things off of a Blu-Ray disc, plus more often than not the data on the disc (and in downloads to, for that matter) is compressed (to cram more things in) and usually encrypted (to prevent piracy) and theese are things that are undone during the installation process.

Now if the Switch has no install process for physical media, and therefore cartridges have no compression or encryption... well then Nintendo truly has reached the twilight zone of retardation.

chefzeff said:
5) the pS4 is full of unoptimized shovelware like black ops 3 which is about 70 gigs in size, while having nearly no content.
Black Ops 3 is not propreitary shovelware.

The install size for BlOps3 (according to the Steam storefront) is 60GB.

As much as i hate Call of Duty i would never say it has no content.

Optimisation is not a subject im qualified to talk about.

chefzeff said:
There is, its called "buy a microSD card. Which are cheap as shit. Be glad Nintendo isnt anticonsumer like sony, and forces you to buy overpriced proprietary memory cards that cost up to 100 bucks for 64 gig
Maybe the lower capacty ones are, but if you want to be able to play games without juggling storage space you will end up having to buy extras.

Not that this is an immediate concern to you, after all the Switch is getting maybe 5 games of note in its launch year.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
altnameJag said:
Hmm, I'm thinking they should've just charged 325-350 and had a 128gb card in there.
I buy physical when I can, I don't need all that extra memory that adds to the cost to buy the console.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
gigastar said:
I dont get why people are championing this aspect of the Switch. Instead of trying to be as good as its direct competitors and maybe even as good as PC it neuters and mutilates itself in an attempt to access the handheld market as well.
We have PS4, Xbox One and PC. Why do we need another system like that? It needs a lower price, not more powerful hardware.

A handheld market in which, rumor has it, Nintendo is working on the true successor to the 3DS. The very concept of the Switch is flawed and Nintendo are allegedly going to end up competing with itself.
I read that they had recalled the remaining Wii U's from stores. If that's true then I imagine they did it because the Wii U is a closer competitor to the Switch than the 3DS since they are both priced at $300 (or they were before they were recalled, I haven't seen a new one on a store shelf in months). Think about how it would look if the Wii came out at $250 and the Gamecube was still priced at $250. To me it would make the Gamecube look like the superior system for it to be 5 years old and the same price as the new console. I imagine they are working on a 3DS successor but they won't release it unless the Switch fails.

Now if the Switch has no install process for physical media, and therefore cartridges have no compression or encryption... well then Nintendo truly has reached the twilight zone of retardation.
I could have sworn that you originally said that we would have to install games. You edited it I suppose once you did some research. Your comment prompted me to do some research and I found nothing to suggest that Switch physical games have to be installed. That is a good thing. Nintendo is super paranoid about piracy, they won't leave their games wide open.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
WeepingAngels said:
gigastar said:
We have PS4, Xbox One and PC. Why do we need another system like that? It needs a lower price, not more powerful hardware.
I disagree. Xbox and Playstation both need more direct competition so MS and Sony arent just driven to one-up the other but to make sure they dont get overtaken by a third party.

And even if developers arent openly decrying the Switch for its lack of power, the fact that most of what theyre offering are ports speaks louder than words, in my opinion.

WeepingAngels said:
gigastar said:
I read that they had recalled the remaining Wii U's from stores. If that's true then I imagine they did it because the Wii U is a closer competitor to the Switch than the 3DS since they are both priced at $300 (or they were before they were recalled, I haven't seen a new one on a store shelf in months). Think about how it would look if the Wii came out at $250 and the Gamecube was still priced at $250. To me it would make the Gamecube look like the superior system for it to be 5 years old and the same price as the new console. I imagine they are working on a 3DS successor but they won't release it unless the Switch fails.
I hadnt heard about the WiiU recall. It makes sense i suppose.

But my point was, the Switch is trying to gain a purchase in the handheld console market, at the cost of its viability in the home console market. I simply dont think its workable.

And if Nint are preparing a 3DS successor for release after the Switch has failed, then what does it say about thier optimism for the Switch when theyre allegedly developing something that certainly will outcompete the Switch in the market it was designed to tap into already?

WeepingAngels said:
gigastar said:
I could have sworn that you originally said that we would have to install games. You edited it I suppose once you did some research. Your comment prompted me to do some research and I found nothing to suggest that Switch physical games have to be installed. That is a good thing. Nintendo is super paranoid about piracy, they won't leave their games wide open.
Youre right, i wasnt satified with my original argument and therefore went and did some Basic Research and came back with somethimg more substantial.

And i dont think Nint would leave thier games open either, but even if theyre using Denuvo or a similar DRM system i dont see how theyre going to stop the crackers for long.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I don't understand why more memory wasn't added. Memory at this point is almost free. 128 or 256 would go a long way towards quality of life and barely add any cost.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Luckily, buying any game physically means you won't have to worry about file sizes, as the Switch doesn't require games to be downloaded from a physical copy.
Except for DLC, content updates, patches, and any dev that wants to cut down on what could be long load times.[footnote]I'm yet to see any evidence Nintendo's 'cartridges' improve load times.[/footnote]

But sure. Buying physical will make up for the laughably tiny storage space Nintendo, for some baffling reason[footnote]It certainly wouldn't be to encourage people to buy extra storage from Nintendo. That'd be crazy. Nintendo would never design a piece of hardware, or software, around forcing users to buy superfluous peripherals.[/footnote], thought was adequate for the Switch.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Avnger said:

I used to use stickers ... afraid of using stickers with microSD/SDXC cards though.

In truth I don't mind so much. It runs on battery and SDXC is low power consumption. The one thing I worry about is whether your stock standard M/USB recharger will be gentle on the battery type they're using.

Put it like this ... with a portable unit, would you prefer an internal HDD that chews up more power, makes it heavier, and would make it more obtuse to carry? Or would you rather being able to carry two 1TB SDs and slot them in when you need access to certain stored games?

The kind of cool thing is you coul set aside certain SD cards for certain things ... like if you want to play certain games for the time you have (like a half hour busride) then a super cheap low volume card set aside for all those small games, and so on ... to save on clutter unlike a single internal HDD.

Which is kind of cool, in a way.

The key concern I'm worried about is losing them and whether they carry digital information you used for online purchases. Hopefully they keep that information server side and merely authenticate through your console unit, not put the cookies and stuff on the cards that you used to buy that stuff.

I mean, that would be the smartest thing ... but given Nintendo recently talked about monetised DLC for a game and console they haven't even released yet, I'm starting to doubt just how mentally with it they are. I mean ... why did they think that was a good idea? No one truly even knew what everything in the game contained, yet you're talking about stuff you decided on and pre-priced already. How the hell did they think that was a good idea?

I mean they could have said nothing, no one would have cared, they'd generate the same revenue, and no additional ill will would have been suffered. They literally could have said nothing and just waited a week after the game launched ... and that would have helped boost sales slightly with the whole; "And they're supporting the game into the future! How nice ..."

What were they thinking? It hurts my brain ....

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
chefzeff said:
Did you really just compare prices between 5 year old hardware and new hardware?
Theyre supposed to be in direct competition as 8th gen consoles, and therefore they will be compared.

chefzeff said:
blops3 has objectively no content. A handfull of maps, guns, and models. There is no way in hell that game should be 70 gigs in size.

But hey, could be worse. it could be the PS4 where every game is unoptimized and takes up 50 gigs
Installed file sizes are usually down to the decompressed video and audio files, and are often very little to do with the games themselves.

chefzeff said:
always needs to be installed and as such is literally incapable of playing more than 9 games unless you pay extra for the premium 1TB hd (and thats the maximum because it doesnt support higher storage HD, which would be a problem
If you ever bothered to search Amazon you would see a PS4 with an optional 2TB internal HDD.

And more recently the PS4 can now utilise external HDD's, which can go up to 5TB.

chefzeff said:
I'll point out that the article infact does NOT claim its necessary to buy a microSD
Id like to see that claim put to the test when things like patches, DLC and digital only releases start doing the rounds.