Nintendo Shares Digital File Sizes For Some Switch Titles

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Nintendo Shares Digital File Sizes For Some Switch Titles

Dragon Quest Heroes won't fit without adding a microSD card.

Over on its IGN [https://www.nintendo.co.jp/software/switch/index.html]) Nintendo revealed the digital download sizes for several upcoming Switch games, and one in particular won't fit without the addition of a microSD card.

While the Switch comes with 32GB of memory, 6.1 of that is reserved for the operating system and other software, so Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2, which requires 32GB of space, won't fit without adding in a microSD card. As previously announced, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will require 13.4GB of space.

Here are some others, all requiring less space:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 7GB
Puyo Puyo Tetris - 1.09GB
Disgaea 5 - 5.92GB
Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! - 1.60GB
I Am Setsuna - 1.4GB
Nobunaga's Ambition - 5GB

Luckily, buying any game physically means you won't have to worry about file sizes, as the Switch doesn't require games to be downloaded from a physical copy.

[gallery=6951]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Someone should have told Nintendo that even a year or so ago when they were building the Switches, that you could get 128gb for internal storage. But I suppose that cheap-ass Nintendo doesn't like giving people what they want.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
-looks up from my 1TB PS4- wait, the Switch has how much space? I've got USBs that are bigger than that, what the hell. My phone has more space on it. I just... god damn, that makes no sense.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Hmm, I'm thinking they should've just charged 325-350 and had a 128gb card in there.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Wrex Brogan said:
-looks up from my 1TB PS4- wait, the Switch has how much space? I've got USBs that are bigger than that, what the hell. My phone has more space on it. I just... god damn, that makes no sense.
This is just how I understood things are with the Switch since it uses SD cards (if you don't trust this, which you maybe shouldn't 100%, ask someone who knows or search up some Youtube video about the SD cards on the switch :D):
When you play on your PS4, you first DL the game and then if there is additional content or upgrades that extra space is also required on your hard drive. Is this correct? Like I understood the full GTA5 is something like 80GB?
Nintendo using flash memory with SD cards would mean that installation file is all you need. So the 8GB MarioKart file is the final size of the game, even with upcoming DL content. 32GB is still very little today, but if the actual use of harddrive memory isn't that big, then it's not that bad. If you buy physical copies of the games, it won't be using any of the hard drives memory.
I am not 100% sure, but I saw someone write about this and one person saying this in a Youtube review after he had had hands-on time with the Switch at some event. I am not too much into this sort of thing, but that is how I have understood it works. If I am wrong, then someone correct me, as I said that is how I understood the explanations.

On the other hand, I doubt a 64GB starting memory would jack up the price of the console? I already got myself a 64GB MicroSD card for 20? to increase the capacity. But I think aside from those 0-2GB games, I will be buying physical copies. Then again with downloaded games, even if I don't have my own games with me, and go to friends place, with Nintendo announcing that the Dl game finally are based on your account and not console, they can be played on friends consoles. And of course games I can't find in my hometown and will cost too much to buy from the internet due to postages will have to be bought from the Eshop. Also for the WiiU I had many games cost 49.90? in my local store and then 39.90? in the Eshop. If the difference is the same on the Switch then getting a 20? 64GB microSD card and putting 5 games on that saves me 30? roughly.

So much we don't know yet...

WNxSajuukCor

Oct 31, 2007
Supporting micro SDXC means the Switch can support up to 2TB on the microSD card slot, so I don't see it as that big of a deal. I think 512GB is the largest out so far?

The prices do need to come down though on micro SDXC in that range though :(

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
While the Switch comes with 32GB of memory, 6.1 of that is reserved for the operating system and other software, so Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2, which requires 32GB of space, won't fit without adding in a microSD card.
LMAO

To quote Star Wars, "This deal is getting worse all the time.".

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
I'm actually very surprised that Breath of the Wild is so small for what it is. Maybe Nintendo actually understands compression.
008Zulu said:
Someone should have told Nintendo that even a year or so ago when they were building the Switches, that you could get 128gb for internal storage. But I suppose that cheap-ass Nintendo doesn't like giving people what they want.
And then hike up the price considerably and actually cost closer to a PS4 Pro. I actually prefer just the basic memory, that way I can choose how much I spend on more later.
Wrex Brogan said:
Would your phone happen to be a flagship device?
deadish said:
While the Switch comes with 32GB of memory, 6.1 of that is reserved for the operating system and other software, so Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2, which requires 32GB of space, won't fit without adding in a microSD card.
LMAO

To quote Star Wars, "This deal is getting worse all the time.".
Pray they don't alter it any further.

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
Ideally they would have multiple versions available. This is fine for those who buy physical, but it would be nice to have a more expensive larger option if you want all your games always installed.

chefzeff

Sep 14, 2013
Wrex Brogan said:
1)your PS4 costs more
2) your pS4 is 40 times bigger
3) your pS4 doesnt have to run on a battery
4) the piss4 is retarded and installs ALL games, even physical copies, to the HD.
5) the pS4 is full of unoptimized shovelware like black ops 3 which is about 70 gigs in size, while
having nearly no content.

llubtoille said:
Ideally they would have multiple versions available. This is fine for those who buy physical, but it would be nice to have a more expensive larger option if you want all your games always installed.
There is, its called "buy a microSD card. Which are cheap as shit. Be glad Nintendo isnt anticonsumer like sony, and forces you to buy overpriced proprietary memory cards that cost up to 100 bucks for 64 gig

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
chefzeff said:
Wrex Brogan said:
1)your PS4 costs more
4) the piss4 is retarded and installs ALL games, even physical copies, to the HD.
5) the pS4 is full of unoptimized shovelware like black ops 3 which is about 70 gigs in size, while

llubtoille said:
There is, its called "buy a microSD card. Which are cheap as shit. Be glad Nintendo isnt anticonsumer like sony, and forces you to buy overpriced proprietary memory cards that cost up to 100 bucks for 64 gig
Ah so Ninty has brought us back to the days of PS1/2 and N64 memory cards where we have to remember exactly which card in the stack holds each persons' save files for any given game. Fun times. Everyone say "Thank you!" and bend on over!

Edit: Gotta love that progress Nintendo keeps pushing on the game industry.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Wrex Brogan said:
Would your phone happen to be a flagship device?
No, actually, which is why I'm surprised that a flagship console has so little space to work with while also offering an online service for digital downloads. Maybe it's a portability thing, I don't know, but would it have really broken production costs to jam 64 gigs in there? Even if they are masters of compression and you buy external memory that space is gonna dry up quick, especially when you start factoring in things like save files and DLC.

Just... yeah, makes no sense that it's that small.

chefzeff said:
Wrex Brogan said:
1)your PS4 costs more
You know, I'd love to snark at you, but quite frankly I'm just impressed you got so mad at a throw away line about the PS4 (which wasn't even a Terabyte on launch, mind) that you broke a 3 & 1/2 year lurk to respond to me. That's... oddly touching.

chefzeff

Sep 14, 2013
Ah so Ninty has brought us back to the days of PS1/2 and N64 memory cards where we have to remember exactly which card in the stack holds each persons' save files for any given game. Fun times. Everyone say "Thank you!" and bend on over!

Its okay when sony does it guess :^) Did you complain about the Vita too? Ofcourse you didnt, despite it having a whopping storage space of ZERO gigs. Did you complain about the PS4 only being able to store 10 games at best unless you paid out the nose for the 1TB upgrade?

Your saves are stored on the unit itself, or the cartridge if you're physical.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Someone should tell Nintendo that the "PC Master Race" thing was a joke; they're allowed to make quality products too!

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Avnger said:

Wait, you didn't use a marker or color coding for your cards? Wasn't that part of the benefit for the things being different colors? Also pretty sure no N64 game used memory cards, unless I'm forgetting something.
Wrex Brogan said:
No, actually, which is why I'm surprised that a flagship console has so little space to work with while also offering an online service for digital downloads. Maybe it's a portability thing, I don't know, but would it have really broken production costs to jam 64 gigs in there? Even if they are masters of compression and you buy external memory that space is gonna dry up quick, especially when you start factoring in things like save files and DLC.

Just... yeah, makes no sense that it's that small.
I imagine they're already selling at a heavy loss, so anything else would be a bad hit, on top of likely compromising the intended price point. Not to even mention that future releases will likely be even larger and Nintendo might just realize that they're better off leaving it to expandable storage, which will only... well, expand.
chefzeff said:
Its okay when sony does it guess :^) Did you complain about the Vita too? Ofcourse you didnt, despite it having a whopping storage space of ZERO gigs. Did you complain about the PS4 only being able to store 10 games at best unless you paid out the nose for the 1TB upgrade?

Your saves are stored on the unit itself, or the cartridge if you're physical.
Vita Defense Force here, the revision at least shipped it with 1GB internal storage. Absolutely nothing really, but it's something.
chefzeff said:
Fuck me, atleast microsoft offers dedicated servers for your fee
Alright, that's just flat-out untrue. At least for most games as most still use P2P for some god forsaken reason, or servers hosted by third parties like all of EA's titles.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
LegendaryGamer0 said:
I imagine they're already selling at a heavy loss, so anything else would be a bad hit, on top of likely compromising the intended price point. Not to even mention that future releases will likely be even larger and Nintendo might just realize that they're better off leaving it to expandable storage, which will only... well, expand.
I get that Hard drive size tends to be a bit small on launch, but given it can't even fit one of the early titles on there to begin with... well, yeah. Hope they sort that shit out with the next few versions. Also not the keenest on the idea of needing to buy external storage so I can play the latest titles, that feels like a band-aid rather than an actual solution to the memory problem.

Then again, maybe they're intending on people utilizing it similar to the 3DS and going with physical cartridges rather than focusing on digital downloads. It's been... hard to keep track of what they're expecting the Switch to do, what with saying it's a dedicated at-home console while also marketing the hell out of it's portability. So long as shit doesn't install to the hard drive for no reason...

chefzeff said:
You know, I'd love to snark at you, but quite frankly I'm just impressed you got so mad at a throw away line about the PS4 (which wasn't even a Terabyte on launch, mind) that you broke a 3 & 1/2 year lurk to respond to me. That's... oddly touching.
Your post was just so asinine I had to reply. You pretty much forced my hand :^)

Did you also complain about Nintendo's paid online plans while conveniently ignoring that you're paying for PSN, which is quite literally sony forcing you to pay to use your own internet and console, since everything on PSN is peer2peer?

Fuck me, atleast microsoft offers dedicated servers for your fee
Oh, honey, don't be like that, you were doing so well and now you're making wild assumptions about my approach to the PSN, just spoils the mood when you do that. Next you'll be thinking I sleep in Sony brand pajamas while hugging a PS4, which is just not true.

I hug a PS3. Big difference.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
008Zulu said:
Hopefully it will encourage people to buy physical. Physical has so many advantages over digital it's inconceivable that so many prefer the inferior option.

- Ability to resell
- Ability to loan out/borrow
- Ability to play on multiple consoles without concerning yourself with account restrictions
- Cheaper, most games launch with a 20% discount on Amazon if you have prime and sales happen more often at retail
- Cheaper, you don't need to buy extra storage to store the games on

Now granted you do have to remove the card and put in a new one to change games but have people really become so lazy that this is a problem?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Wrex Brogan said:
I've got seven 64 GB USB 3.0 drives for offline back-ups and a 128 GB mini SD in my tablet. Amongst others. That's kinda what happens when smartphone pics can be like 8 MB each, and you have a GoPro that needs 1.7GB per 17 minute video... In short: non-volatile memory is dirt cheap, has been for several years.

I'm very, very certain Nintendo could've gotten a MASSIVE discount on memory in the bulk amount they buy. So 64 or even 128 GB should've made each Switch only a few bucks more expensive.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Avnger said:
chefzeff said:
Wrex Brogan said:
1)your PS4 costs more

llubtoille said:

I love memory cards. See, I usually have multiples of a console in different rooms. Moving save data was easier then, grab your disc and your memory card and move to a different console. With hard drives you have to transfer your save to an SD Card or a USB stick and hope it's not a locked save.