Nintendo Switch Cartridges Taste Bad on Purpose

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Switch Cartridges Taste Bad on Purpose

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1386/1386127.jpg
Nintendo has confirmed one of the most bizarre rumors surrounding the Switch: that its cartridges "taste bad" on purpose.

One of the strangest reports that trickled in in the pre-release of the Nintendo Switch was that its cartridges taste bad. And not just the usual plastic taste you'd expect from something made out of plastic, but incredibly, almost, purposefully bad. "I put that Switch cart in my mouth and I'm not sure what those things are made of but I can still taste it. Do not try this at home," one user Tweeted [https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/835304915220062208?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw].

Well, Nintendo has now actually come out and confirmed that Nintendo Switch cartridges taste bad on purpose. "To avoid the possibility of accidental ingestion, keep the game card away from young children," Nintendo told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-cartridges-taste-so-bad-1792869498?rev=1488437045218] "A bittering agent (Denatonium Benzoate) has also been applied to the game card. This bittering agent is non-toxic."

So there you go, in order to discourage young children, who are ever willing to put whatever they can find into their mouth, from eating your Nintendo Switch games, they have been coated with a foul-tasting chemical. It's the monarch butterfly [http://www.psd1.org/cms/lib4/WA01001055/Centricity/Domain/36/SS_Butterflies_That_Taste_Bad.pdf] of the video game ecosystem.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-cartridges-taste-so-bad-1792869498?rev=1488437045218]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Well why the fuck were you tasting them in the first place, you dumb twats?? you're only validating their decision!!

Goddamn it, humans...

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
I think this is a smart decision. It is because [adult] humans fail to read even the simplest of warning signs about something. This skips the warning sign and instead makes it trigger an automated warning system of the brain. No reading required. Beautifully evil.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
You know some fraction of the population will have the opposite effect and subsequently crave the taste of switch cartridges.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
Xsjadoblayde said:
Well why the fuck were you tasting them in the first place, you dumb twats?? you're only validating their decision!!

Goddamn it, humans...
I can certainly imagine someone holding it with their lips if they had it out and needed their hands for something else (like opening the box to put the cartridge up).

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Would that make 3DS cards Viceroy butterflies?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Was that really necessary? Or more to the point, how does DS and 3DS cartridges taste?

If this is a new thing then why wasn't this a concern for older cartridges that one could reasonably assume would be able to fit in an infant's throat?

Jan 27, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:

Goddamn it, humans...
Best reply in the thread.

Still, I love this decision. XD

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks this is a good idea? Seriously, if it stops kids, animals and cognitively impaired people from eating them I'm all for it.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Johnny Novgorod said:
marioandsonic said:
Well...okay, then. I have no idea who would want to eat game cartridges.
Children under 3. Very typical of toymakers to worry about that.
Are...are you saying Nintendo is a children's toy maker? How dare you?!

Saelune said:
Damn it, Saelune. Now I want to rewatch the entire Home Movies series.

I already have too many shows, movies, games, and books on my docket to get through. I didn't need this on top of it...

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Damn it, Saelune. Now I want to rewatch the entire Home Movies series.

I already have too many shows, movies, games, and books on my docket to get through. I didn't need this on top of it...
Most of the episodes are on youtube. A couple random ones missing though.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I've had mixed feelings about the announcements concerning the Switch, but this one leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:

Goddamn it, humans...
I know Jim's licked a PS4,XB1, a Wii U and a Ouya all for journalistic purposes. Plus once you lick something it's automatically yours no questions asked.

ccggenius12 said:
I've had mixed feelings about the announcements concerning the Switch, but this one leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Damn you. Just damn you.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Ok I suppose the reasoning behind making it taste bad makes sense, but why were people tasting them?

Sonder Saunters

Oct 24, 2009
Nintendo, this is not going to work the way you think it will; you have inadvertently created the next Cinnamon Challenge - and I guarantee that you won't want to trademark the phrase "Take the Nintendo Switch Challenge" like you did "It's On Like Donkey Kong." Actually, wait, somebody get that on a shirt right now: stupid face, Switch cartridge on tongue, big text, "Take the Nintendo Switch Challenge."

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Bedinsis said:
Was that really necessary? Or more to the point, how does DS and 3DS cartridges taste?

If this is a new thing then why wasn't this a concern for older cartridges that one could reasonably assume would be able to fit in an infant's throat?
I just tried a 3DS cart and it didn't taste like anything. Rather disappointing. Now I gotta buy a switch game just to taste them. Well played Nintendo well played