Nintendo Takes New Yorkers on a Pokemon Walk

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nintendo Takes New Yorkers on a Pokemon Walk

To celebrate the launch of SoulSilver [http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-HeartGold-Version-Nintendo-DS/dp/B0038MVFYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968691&sr=1-1], Nintendo will be demonstrating the "Pokéwalker" accessory via a tour around the heart of the Big Apple: Times Square.

Fun Funk Fact: I was an employee at Nintendo's Rockefeller Center-based store devoted to all things Pokemon - now just "Nintendo World" - during the summer of 2004, when the GBA remakes of the original Pokemon (FireRed and LeafGreen) were released. As I saw then, the release of a new title in the series - even a remake - was a pretty big event. Even if it's not quite the spectacle it was six years ago, it's still a pretty big event, judging by what Nintendo has planned [http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100308005682&newsLang=en].

Nintendo will be celebrating the launch of SoulSilver and HeartGold while simultaneously showing off the new Pokéwalker, a portable device with a built-in pedometer that lets you transfer your favorite Pokemon out of the game and walk it around (and have it gain XP while you do so).

According to the press release: "New Yorkers will get a special hands-on introduction to the new games as Nintendo and Toys"R"Us Times Square invite fans to follow Pikachu's footprints around the Broadway Plaza in Times Square to learn about the new game and participate in live demonstrations."

So, if I'm reading this right: Fans will get to test out the Pokéwalker as they follow Pikachu footprints all over Times Square to check out live demonstrations of the game? Sounds like fun, though I don't envy the poor bastard who has to clean up all of the footprints from the New York sidewalks at the end of the day.

(Via Joystiq [http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2010/03/08/nintendo-leading-fans-on-wild-pokemon-chase-in-new-york-city/])

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
Man, I remember how, back in the day, I used to make my mom shake my Pikachu while I was off at school. That being said, someone buy me a copy of SoulSilver. Pretty please?

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Unsusal. Still, it will probably be a good demonstration of the technology to a (possibly) doubting public. I wonder if it will work?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Well thats awesome! However the Pokéwalker is still a cheap way to level up your Pokémon. But... I guess one guy on the internet can't change anything.

Calumon: We never get anything big... We even have a new game coming out tomorrow...

[sup]Calumon is half lying, it's not out tomorrow, the Open Beta is.[/sup]

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
They need something like this for wow, to get all of us out of our mom's basements' and into the fresh air.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Someone will paint like 20 different paths on the ground just to confuse and spoil everything. They'll lead to Strip Cubs, off piers, to the top of tall buildings, into lakes, through sewers, and people will follow them.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
there was an actual pokeman store? Cool! I wish I had gone back in the hayday of pokeman

Its a good idea, but there is no way in hell Im walking around with a pokeball strapped to my waist like Im some sort of wannabe Ash Ketchem. That sort of thing could fly in japan but here your gonna lose more friends and respect then a Republican at an organic farmers market

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
commasplice said:
Man, I remember how, back in the day, I used to make my mom shake my Pikachu while I was off at school. That being said, someone buy me a copy of SoulSilver. Pretty please?
Speaking of which, i still have one if anyone wants to buy it? Still works and everything.

Alpha Centauri

Sep 7, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Someone will paint like 20 different paths on the ground just to confuse and spoil everything. They'll lead to Strip Cubs, off piers, to the top of tall buildings, into lakes, through sewers, and people will follow them.
Hmmmmm... Strokes gotee, *evil face*

Uh what? Erm, yeah sounds cool.

ioxles

Nov 25, 2008
Catkid906 said:
Calumon: We never get anything big... We even have a new game coming out tomorrow...

[sup]Calumon is half lying, it's not out tomorrow, the Open Beta is.[/sup]
If Calumon is referring to what I think he is, mine doesn't work even after I preloaded it and all because the beta doesn't support x64 systems.....

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Wait, Funk, you worked at the now-Nintendo World? How I envy you. [/jealousy]

OT: And now I wish I lived in New York. DAMMIT, WHY CAN'T SUNDAY ROLL AROUND ANY FASTER? THE WAIT FOR THE NEW GAMES IS KILLING ME!!! ARGH.

Time moves by so slowly when you want it to move quickly...

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
That would be awesome, id just bring my pokewalker to the gym with me.

and hide it obviously.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Id just do what I normally do with pedometers, cheat and shake them instead of moving.

Just put them on something that vibrates like a tumble dryer and it does it for you.

I love being lazy.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
The DSM said:
Id just do what I normally do with pedometers, cheat and shake them instead of moving.

Just put them on something that vibrates like a tumble dryer and it does it for you.

I love being lazy.
Make sure you reinforce it and turn of the heat otherwise you can hook it up to a ceiling fan or any other kind of fan. If I were to purchase a Nintendo DS and this game then I'd tie the poke walker to my rear-view mirror when I'm driving then my Tardis Phone Charm when I walk.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well..I suppose makes sense. It looks like an intresting tool,. And the hours I walk in at work I would surely hit level 100 in no time lol

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I used to have one of these [http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/di/digimon-d-3-digivice.jpg] back in the day, which worked very similar to both this, and the little Pikachu ones from way back. Eventually I got tired of having that thing in my pocket at school so I just taped it to the dyer while my mother did the laundry.

Didn't make the gadget any less fun, however.