Nintendo, Team Ninja Collaborate on Metroid: Other M

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
A more story-driven prequel to the original Metroid games?

Yes, please.

Erana said:
What I want is a combination of Prime combat with PoP action.
You mean a combination of original Prime combat with what Metroid used to be about?

ROBO_LEADER

Nov 5, 2007
Jordan Deam said:
Reggie Fils-Aime announced another Mature title to add to the Wii's line-up: Metroid: Other M. Co-developed by Nintendo and Team Ninja (of Ninja Gaiden fame) under the moniker "Project M," the game appears to feature a slightly darker, more violent tone than previous Metroid outings, along with a new third-person perspective.
Darker, more mature style with a more colorful, vibrant pallete? As a Metriod fan, I'm worried. The trailer looked so... awkward to me, and with a strange mix of gameplay mechanics. Third person free roaming! Third person side scrolling! Third person not-side-scrolling-but-with-a-fixed-path! First person! Throw in some CG cutscenes that looked like another title with Samus intravenously injected and Samus having voiced lines, I can't help but be worried. I just hope they can pull it off.

Lonko

Jun 3, 2009
Trailer here [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-metroid-other/50237].
I am pants-wettingly excited about this.

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
I'm very conflicted about this. The metroid prime formula was only established after the origional idea was scrapped for being rubbish and rebuilt. I'm afraid that team ninja, due to their pedigree, may be given more of a leash to mess with things.

Honestly, any new metroid is a good thing. But HtH combat? Switching from first to third person rapidly? Giving Samus a voice? Could be a very mixed blessing.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
gmer412 said:
Hmm....why did they have to give her a voice? Also, I think this'll be set before Fusion, and I think Adam Malkovich(her CO that she references in fusion) is in it.
Well, the first hint to it being before Fusion was the fact that Samus isn't in the Fusion Suit (like in my Avatar) but the classic Power Suit. The second would be that she was fighting Ridley, who is DEAD dead (seriously, dead) after Fusion.

But yeah, that was definitely Adam. And seeing his character is the only reason I would get this game. The graphics are making Metroid look way to much like an anime. The gameplay seems to say "fuck the classic adventuring for a clusterfuck of whatthefuck" jumping around and insane combos which I hate in games. And the story... I have a feeling it's going to lose it's unique feel. Plus, Nintendo, show us what happens after Fusion already...

I really don't have high hopes about this game. Fingers crossed that it'll prove me wrong.

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES !!!!!

edit: sorry about that. This is great news and a reason to keep my Wii.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
I would have rather they started a new trilogy with the same developers. This looks alright, but it doesn't look metroid to me, rather a ninja gaiden with a shiny suit. I would like to see a lot more in game footage before I could ever get excited for this.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Because Nintendo outsourced Metroid the first time we have the greatest game ever made ever. Have a little faith, and it just might be rewarded.

Lazzi

Apr 12, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Third person?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I realise it's dumb to judge a game that no-one has seen based purely on a camera perspective, but the first person nature of Prime was one of my favourite things about it, it was a first person adventure that worked.
Sad, sad day.

Edit# Watched the trailer, she spoke, which freaking idiot gave samus a voice? Ninja Gaiden clone incoming...
it think they will do the targeting in more of a Gears of War style. You will still see the cross hair regardless, but you will be able to see something sneak up on you.

Paulrus_Keaton

Apr 23, 2009
mmmm... I think i'll pass. I can't take Team Ninja's involvement on the game seriously. Though when it comes to games with combat involving curvy women, Team Ninja knows that best.

But the latter is something that i'm sure they'll spend the most time on. Next they'll put her in a bikini.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
super_smash_jesus said:
I would have rather they started a new trilogy with the same developers. This looks alright, but it doesn't look metroid to me, rather a ninja gaiden with a shiny suit. I would like to see a lot more in game footage before I could ever get excited for this.
blackcherry said:
I'm very conflicted about this. The metroid prime formula was only established after the origional idea was scrapped for being rubbish and rebuilt. I'm afraid that team ninja, due to their pedigree, may be given more of a leash to mess with things.

Honestly, any new metroid is a good thing. But HtH combat? Switching from first to third person rapidly? Giving Samus a voice? Could be a very mixed blessing.
PedroSteckecilo said:
*groan* Goodness Gracious, an M-Rated Metroid with Team Ninja working on it...

I see...

Samas + Zero Suit + Third Person + Massive Jiggle Physics...

This is not a good thing in my mind.
Through the general tone of this thread, it seems like people are worried about how this game will turn out. First of all, remember that people were freaking out when the Prime series was given to Retro Studiios, so a simple studio switch is not something to worry too much about.

Secondly, remember that the old Metriod games were not first person. A behind-the-back view seems, to me, to be similar to a side view. One of the advantages is that you get to use upgrades that you can't use well in first person, such as the speed booster, as seen in the trailer, and the gravity jump/spin attack. As for the aiming in first person, I have yet to see someone complain about Zelda games doing this. As for the combat, it looks like you can auto-aim which is good, as it lets you move around freely without having to worry about your aim. Also, the boss fights appear to have retained their puzzle elements, so you have tradirional gameplay, but when you damage the boss, you can see a short cutscene of Samus being awesome. Last thing about all the combat, I highly doubt that anybody wanted to show Samus wandering around the environment, as they want to make people excited. To do this, they chose to show a bunch of combat scenarios. You didn't see any elevator scenes in the Mass Effect trailers, did you?

Lastly, as far as the jiggle physics go, they don't go well with Samus' armor, which seems to be what you will be using throughout the game, as playing as Zero Suit Samus is still a big deal for a lot of people. Even if we do get to play as Zero Suit Samus, there's not that much to jiggle. Compared to most females in the game world, Samus has a realistic figure. Additionally, getting to see Samus out of the Power Suit has always been something you have to earn by being awesome at the game, not something you get for simply playing the game.

Just chill out and wait for a bit more information.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Her voice is just like I've always imagined it. Very softly spoken, very short sentences. So long as they keep it that way, I'm happy. I don't want her turning into Konoko [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konoko] with cheap one-liners.

Yes, the voicing threw me off for a moment too, but damn. I love it already.

Adam Malkovich is confirmed; the backstory to Fusion's enigmatic CO here.

I see flashes of a much younger Samus in the trailer; are we finally going to get the story of the Manga [http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_e-Manga] told canonically?

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Having only played prime 3 (loved it) i guess i've got a lot of metroid to look forward to.
prime 1 and 2 beeing re-amde for the wii (motion controlls and slight graphic update) as well as this one.
SecretTacoNinja said:
Garrig said:
I read this, and I swear, I shivered at the sheer possibilities.

Speed Booster's return is nigh

[edit] Oh yeah, First!
Rule number 1 of any website (especially here): No-one cares if you post first, at all. ;)

Hellz to the yeah, a new Metroid with blood and big Samus boobies. \o/

[small] I need a Wii, seriously...[/small]

[small]If anyone laughed at that, go die.[/small]
ha ha ha... oh wait. I have a wii...

seriouisly, it's sortof cheep now (the wii) and theres a decent bunch of good games (and a whole bunch of shovel-ware that basicly works like masturbation-simulators) for it. + you can play old gamecube games as well, theres some good ones there.

Amisbro

Nov 26, 2008
Here let me put it in another way for ya:

Which is going to be worse:

A more "mature" Metroid game for the Wii where God for Bid PROGRESS is made

or...

A MG game with Raiden as the lead character?

Seriously even though I currently DON'T own a Wii I think I'd be ecstatic about a game like this. Its going back to essentially the old days of Metroid before the FPS games and I'm not saying those games were bad, but I just couldn't get into them with the controls being what they were.

Here's hoping Team Ninja and Nintendo do more work together and we get to see a more Mature Nintendo in the years to come!

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
So Team Ninja put an emphasis on combat in the trailer. No biggie just yet. Nintendo has been very careful about adding new elements like this in their games without careful consideration. Maybe they have something here. Plus, this seems like a similar reaction when Metroid Prime was announced but it ended up being arguably the best game in the series. Just have faith people.
Also, I highly doubt we have to worry about Samus having unproportional back problems just yet. Nintendo wouldn't allow that.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
From the trailer, it looks kind of like they made Haloid [http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/haloid/57998?id=57998] into a game. Which isn't really a bad thing, by any stretch of the imagination, just not really what I'd want from a Metroid title.

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Keane Ng said:
Oh go, this could be truly awful. Samus Aran with jiggle physics....
Everybody just chill with the jiggle physics. If you watch the video it looks like she boots up her varia suit early in the game and then never takes it off again. Jiggle Physics do not mix with full body armor.