Nintendo: The 3DS Isn't Big Enough for a Second Analog Stick

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Nintendo: The 3DS Isn't Big Enough for a Second Analog Stick

People disappointed by the 3DS XL's single stick will "have to live with it."

So, it turns out the recently unveiled 3DS XL isn't hiding a second analog stick under its clam-shell carapace, much to chagrin of some fans. So why is Nintendo producing an even larger version of the Circle Pad Pro rather than putting a stick second stick straight on the system? Because it isn't big enough, apparently.

"When we looked at the design of the 3DS XL, we had to look at various factors," Nintendo president, Satoru Iwata, told the Independent. "One was battery life. One was the overall size of the unit. And we had to make some trade-offs. The choice, if we were going to include the second analog stick, was to reduce the size of the batteries or make the unit much bigger.
"

Introducing the second analog stick would also split the 3DS market in half. While Nintendo could always mandate developers to include control schemes for 3DS systems with and without the second analog stick, they'd eventually end up with games aimed mainly at the latter, rendering original 3DS models obsolete.

"Attaching a second analog stick is possible," Iwata continued, "but it would have made the system even bigger, and, though it perhaps puts a burden on people that really want that second stick, it's a call we had to make and these people will have to live with it." 

Source: The Independent [http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/satoru-iwata-on-wii-u-i-think-it-will-become-increasingly-difficult-from-now-on-to-compete-over-graphics-7936301.html]

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Makes sense I guess. There's currently not that many games that support the circle pad pro and if you'd have to make an already big system bigger or reduce the battery capacity then I prefer the circle pad extension.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
Yeah this is why Nintendo can't turn a serious profit anymore. Splitting the developerbase? You already did that introducing the thing OPTIONALLY, what difference does it make if its forcefully included.

Morons didn't learn from the first time. Too bad the Vita doesn't have any games to back up it's decent hardware design.

Guess I'll go back to my android tablet that supports a bluetooth controller. Morons all of them.

Captcha: Get your goat

Yes captcha, yes they freaking did. They also sacrificed it to the stupidity gods.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Introducing the second analog stick would also split the 3DS market in half. While Nintendo could always mandate developers to include control schemes for 3DS systems with and without the second analog stick, they'd eventually end up with games aimed mainly at the latter, rendering original 3DS models obsolete.
Basically, this says that people and developers want a second stick, and would gravitate towards using it if it was there, but because we designed our shit wrong the first time, you're stuck with not having it.

grumpymooselion

May 5, 2011
TheBobmus said:
Grey Carter said:
Basically, this says that people and developers want a second stick, and would gravitate towards using it if it was there, but because we designed our shit wrong the first time, you're stuck with not having it.
I would have left out the vulgarities, but overall I agree . . . that's exactly what it sounds like. The first time I saw a concept for the 3DS my first reaction was, "Where's the second stick?" With continued exposure to the device prior to its release, and since its release, that impression has not changed even once.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Keep forcing those unnecessary peripherals, I'm sure EA finds this adorable.
Probably doesn't hurt that they're taking the EA "be a dick" route, too.

I'm not sure. Is this a step up or a step down from their notion of "the public has no interest in Hi Def/Online/download services/etc?"

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Yopaz said:
Makes sense I guess. There's currently not that many games that support the circle pad pro and if you'd have to make an already big system bigger or reduce the battery capacity then I prefer the circle pad extension.
The only reason there aren't many games that support the circle pad pro is because no game developer wants to force people to buy a $25 add on in order to play their game. That causes sales to dip. If Nintendo had the 2nd stick off the bat, different story entirely.

And honestly I'm with you on the preference of a 2nd stick over battery capacity. Its a handheld console I'm not going to be playing it for 8 hours straight unless I'm playing Monster Hunter. Then I'll just play by an outlet for crying out loud.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Yopaz said:
The only reason there aren't many games that support the circle pad pro is because no game developer wants to force people to buy a $25 add on in order to play their game. That causes sales to dip. If Nintendo had the 2nd stick off the bat, different story entirely.

And honestly I'm with you on the preference of a 2nd stick over battery capacity. Its a handheld console I'm not going to be playing it for 8 hours straight unless I'm playing Monster Hunter. Then I'll just play by an outlet for crying out loud.
I kinda liked the Resident Evil Revelations way on this. Sell one bundle with the circle pad and one with only the game and not make it mandatory. The best thing Nintendo could do would be to just include the circle pad extension with the 3DS XL and developers would probably be more inclined to use it as a secondary control option for those who got it. I would of course like to have it included, but it's not a big deal for me. So far I haven't even used the one I got.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Yeah, I think Nintendo's excuses are preeety much bullshit. They could easily fit in another analog stick without making it much bigger. I think it was as you said, they don't want to make the original 3DS obsolete. Maybe some stubborn pride in not wanting to admit how much better it would have been with two as well.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Scrumpmonkey said:
You mean like this?

I made that. In 3 minutes. In paint. Surely a company as big and experienced as Nintendo can fit another analog stick to their massively over-sized portable console. Hell they found a way to fit 3 analog sticks to the Gamecube controller and that thing wasn't exactly as big as a house.
Seriously, and the Vita seemed to put a second analog stick in with no problems, so what their excuse?

I know they gave one, but I want the non-bullshitty one.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
You mean like this?

I made that. In 3 minutes. In paint. Surely a company as big and experienced as Nintendo can fit another analog stick to their massively over-sized portable console. Hell they found a way to fit 3 analog sticks to the Gamecube controller and that thing wasn't exactly as big as a house.
... You could easily hit the On/Off button with that thing though. Have fun constantly turning off your game in the middle of intense moments...

OT: Makes sense, that thing is small. However, Nintendo needs to explain this in a way that isn't... being rude to their potential customers.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011

Are you joking? A second circle pad would fit there fine. Hell they probably could've put a second circle pad on the original 3DS.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
You mean like this?

... You could easily hit the On/Off button with that thing though. Have fun constantly turning off your game in the middle of intense moments...

OT: Makes sense, that thing is small. However, Nintendo needs to explain this in a way that isn't... being rude to their potential customers.
Then they could put it on the other side, the one with all that excess space.

Nintendo just came off as sounding like dicks for this one, the last line wasn't really necessary, they could have just as easily alternatively said "We're sorry about people that wanted the second stick", instead of "Live with it".

Meh, the 3D aspect was always just a gimmick anyway, a novelty that has worn off, and even Nintendo realise that the "3D Boom" has faded.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
"these people will have to live with it."

I'll be living just fine without a 3DS, thanks!

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
JokerboyJordan said:
Mr.Mattress said:

Nintendo just came off as sounding like dicks for this one, the last line wasn't really necessary, they could have just as easily alternatively said "We're sorry about people that wanted the second stick", instead of "Live with it".

Meh, the 3D aspect was always just a gimmick anyway, a novelty that has worn off, and even Nintendo realise that the "3D Boom" has faded.
But the other side with all the excess space already has the main analog stick. How are you supposed to play the system if both analog sticks are on one side, and then the buttons are on the other side? Plus, the Right Trigger Button would be harder to work with...

And I am not disagreeing with you. They do indeed, sound like jerks.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
JokerboyJordan said:
Mr.Mattress said:

But the other side with all the excess space already has the main analog stick. How are you supposed to play the system if both analog sticks are on one side, and then the buttons are on the other side? Plus, the Right Trigger Button would be harder to work with...

And I am not disagreeing with you. They do indeed, sound like jerks.
Sorry, I meant to move the ON/OFF button to the other side, beneath the D-Pad, although I don't know if that would practically be any better, it just looks like there's more room for it.
I'm no designer anyway :p