Nintendo to Release Completely New Hardware in 2015

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo to Release Completely New Hardware in 2015

The new Nintendo hardware will be something custom built for emerging markets, not "a cheaper version of what we currently have."

Nintendo big boss Satoru Iwata has told Bloomberg [http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-08/nintendo-plans-to-sell-new-consoles-for-emerging-markets-in-2015.html] in an exclusive interview that his company aims to release new devices for emerging markets as early as next year. Before you start thinking it'll be a 2DS or Wii-Mini kind of deal, Iwata specifically stated "We want to make new things, with new thinking rather than a cheaper version of what we currently have."

"The product and price balance must be made from scratch," he added.

Furthermore, Nintendo is also planning to boost the use of characters such as Mario by offering figurines that will allow the transfer of game information between devices through near field communications, in a similar way to the Skylanders or Disney Infinity franchises.

But, don't expect this as an admission that Nintendo will enter the smartphone business, as Iwata once again reiterated that Nintendo smartphone games is a line the company will not cross. "Our games such as Mario and Zelda are designed for our game machines so if we transfer them into smartphones as they are, customers won't be satisfied," said Iwata. "If customers aren't satisfied with the experience, it will decrease the value of our content."

Iwata said that the upcoming Mario Kart 8 will, however, had a form of connectivity with a smartphone app, allowing users to track progress and watch videos of games played by friends.

As for the "new hardware for emerging markets," Iwata was quite slim on details, but said that more information will be released at the E3 trade show in Los Angeles in June.

Earlier this week, Nintendo posted a massive $455 million loss [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134309-Nintendo-Reports-455-Million-Loss-But-Has-High-Hopes-For-Next-Year], but still has high hopes for next year. Perhaps these new devices are why?

Source: Bloomberg [http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-08/nintendo-plans-to-sell-new-consoles-for-emerging-markets-in-2015.html]

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Sleekit said:
"so Nintendos entire catalogue then ?..."
That was mine. It was then followed by a comment insinuating that the Legend of Zelda held cult elements. *sigh*

Sleekit said:
anyway to step back for a min....all in all to me this suggests a console and not a handheld...something kinda like a Gamecube 2.0...although i have my doubts if it'll involve actual physical media...
So, something like the Ouya, a cheap console that just downloads non-graphically demanding games? And if it can download all Nintendo titles from the gamecube back...

That would actually be kind of brilliant.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Hmm...maybe a virtual console machine? A device dedicated exclusively to playing all the old titles. I could see that being successful, it's annoying to buy virtual console games for one console and then having to switch controllers or losing save data or whatever when you get the next big Nintendo console. Maybe it could have USB ports and you'd be able to get adapters so you could use gamecube or n64 or whatever controllers on it. Have a full digital and official backup of all your favorite games...basically an Ouya specifically for virtual console games.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Hopefully they won't be as stupid as to call the new console 'Nintendo Wii U Ex' or something similarly stupid like that.
Far too many people that might otherwise have been interested in a new Nintendo console thought (and still think) the 'Wii U' is nothing but tablet add-on for the Wii.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
The second Nintendo say's Mario or Zelda is the second any reporter should put his gear up and leave the room. Even if it is a new hardware announcement right after they said there would be none last week. Once they start talking old game they are talking about doing nothing new on new hardware to buy. It is beyond a joke when everyone knows those games will be available and they do want them but those games do not make people excited for the new hardware.

Seriously Nintendo please stop talking about new hardware to run Mario or Zelda. announce something new and let people speculate on if the old games will even be made.

Solve media: "Nonstop You" and I do not even know what product they are trying to sell me... I miss Captcha and despise Solve Media where there is 0, none, nada solving anything.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Custom built for emerging markets? Golly gee, that sounds like a PC.
Curse you, now I am hopeful for official PC ports of some of Nintendo's most popular franchises.