Nintendo to Release Completely New Hardware in 2015

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I'm going to look at Facebook's acquisition of Oculus Rift and say that we are looking at Virtual Boy Redux.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
*Hardware isn't selling all that well*

*release new hardware*

*Profit?*

I know that Yahtzee was joking about Nintendo's console release habits, but it really does look like they are trying to cover up their failures with other hardware.

But upon the WiiU's release, the 3DS got a bunch of good games, and had increased support from Nintendo, so perhaps the same will happen for the WiiU because of this "new hardware"?

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
The nPhone is coming.

Think about it, it all makes sense!

'Monita, where is the nearest Starbucks?'

It all finally comes together. It'll be glorious.

Rabid_meese

Jan 7, 2014
Mcoffey said:
Yep, that's exactly what they need. More shitty hardware that no one will buy. That'll pick em right up.
Salty much? The WiiU seems to more of an outlier in terms of lack of sales on Nintendo's part. Ignoring the Wii, their last two home consoles, the N64 and GameCube, while not winners of their generation sold relatively well and had fairly decent third party support.

Outside of that, we have the Wii. Say what you want about the Wii, it sold hardware. The adoption rate of games was slightly lower, but it still won by a wide margin. And then we get into the portables. Pokemon is all it takes to push millions of units. You can argue quality, but sales numbers don't lie - they're absolutely slaughtering Sony in the handheld market.

The WiiU didn't sell because the cost of development for it was too high. It ran an operating system and a controller that required extra development costs and resources, for no tangible gains. Making a console off of asymmetrical gameplay is a hard sell when balanced asymmetry takes extensive play testing. And a lot of early devs got burned because they used the gamepad like the DS's second screen - which works for the DS because both screens are viewable simultaneously at all times. Same's not true for a tablet/TV combo.

Its a facile argument to say "Because you released a flop, your stuff sucks." Windows Vista sucked - 7 did not. The PSP sucked - buy hey, the regular PlayStation is great. The Virtual Boy sucked. The N64 has some of the highest rated games of all time on it. One bad launch does not a bad company make.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Nintendo just needs to start making their own smartphone/portable game system. DS is the only Nintendo product worth a damn, and the only thing it's really missing is ability to make phone calls.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
For those thinking China is the target here on emerging markets, Nintendo has already approached the Chinese market through iQue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQue

It's probably not as much as China that's the focus in this case. I'd say that most of the countries in South America is a good candidate, while perhaps India or Indonesia/Singapore being another possible option.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
So...the QOL? I mean, it's the QOL. They stated the QOL would be released in 2015. It's the damn QOL. Why does everyone keep pretending that the January Fiscal Stockholder Meeting didn't happen?

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
This is either a WiiU 2.0 with backwards compatability, or yet another VR interface to try and match Oculus and Morpheus.

Also, <link=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-02-nintendo-denies-reports-of-new-hardware-at-e3-2014>Nintendo just claimed this wasn't happening. Good think giant corporations are always trustworthy ;)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Emerging markets, huh? Well, that does not mean me. Good luck to them and their endeavors!

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
I think the Skylanders thing could be a good idea for Nintendo.

Imagine how much money they would make with the Pokemon figurines alone.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
They specifically said it isn't a phone, they specifically said it isnt an update to another system, they're clearly going for a new geographical market but it isn't China cause they've already started working there. Since it's for a different group of people, it's clearly not a new virtual boy. And the wiiu is already a tv controller (if programmable remote control for tv and cable, the ability to browse the tv guide with it off the tv, the 3 major paid streaming services, and putting most of the internet's streaming video- including youtube and twitch- either on the tv or in your hands on the tablet doesn't count as a tv controller, I don't know what does.)

I starting writing just to address some wrong things people are saying and ended up ranting about the WiiU. I love my wiiu. The games aren't there yet, that is true, but even if they only ever made the games announced so far, I wouldn't regret the purchase. I paid $300 for a machine that lets me sit in a recliner and browse the escapist on the privacy of the tablet while simultaneously streaming yugioh abridged on the tv for the whole room and still having the option to switch over to live television when I want to with the same device. It's like having a $300 tablet with a chromecast except instead of the option of taking it places with me, I get to play the next generation of nintendo games. If only they would give it a basic media player to play music and movies off usb... sigh.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
VG_Addict said:
I think the Skylanders thing could be a good idea for Nintendo.

Imagine how much money they would make with the Pokemon figurines alone.
Well they actually already tried that with Pokemon Rumble U, you had to buy the Pokemon figurines, but compared to Swap Force it got blown out of the water. They'll probably try with a different sort of approach though in this case. Their best bet is something like how Disney Infinity is when it comes to open world, and then build things from there with it. Incorporating characters from all of Nintendo's franchises, etc.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I bet it's really the 1DS. A quality powerful handheld with conventional controls and a resistive touchscreen. The resistive screen will be to keep costs down so it can sell in the markets Nintendo has planned for it. Nintendo will probably modify it's DS and 3DS games to work the single screen and maybe get some VC titles working on it.

I doubt it's a home console since many households in their target demographics don't have an extra tv or even one at all. Or in many cultures, people are out and about and only come home to rest at night.