Nintendo to Sell Stand-Alone Wii U GamePad in Japan

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Nintendo to Sell Stand-Alone Wii U GamePad in Japan

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/568/568475.png

Japanese gamers can now purchase a stand-alone Wii U GamePad unit.

The GamePad is arguably the most unique feature of the Wii U, and allows not only for a second screen for gaming, but also gives gamers the ability to continue their game if someone else is using the television. In 2012, Nintendo stated [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117652-E3-Nintendos-Wii-U-Supports-Two-Gamepads] that the Wii U console would eventually support two separate gamepads at one time. While that has not happened, Wii U owners can now finally purchase an additional GamePad for use as a replacement - assuming you live in Japan.

Kotaku [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/hardware/accessories/]), the GamePad will cost ¥12,800 yen (roughly $104).

There is no word as of yet if the stand-alone GamePad will be available for purchase in other regions.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I hope this is a sign of the console finally being able to support two gamepads. Otherwise it just comes across as the most expensive replacement controller since that weird giant robot control board back on the xbox.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
flying_whimsy said:
I hope this is a sign of the console finally being able to support two gamepads. Otherwise it just comes across as the most expensive replacement controller since that weird giant robot control board back on the xbox.
If memory serves me correctly The Steel Battalion Controller had its own repair service in case it broke. Though I doubt any of those get repaired nowadays.

The Wii U on the other hand makes me wish they just sold the touch pad separately instead of forcing it on (almost) every Wii U Game.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
That's kinda a weird thing to do, with the Wii U only supporting one gamepad. I thought Nintendo's customer support could send out a new one (for a significant cost) to anyone who had theirs break out of warranty.

Maybe it is for NX backwards compatibility? Although, it's kind of early to be selling gamepads for it. They probably would repackage them in boxes with a big "for Wii U and [whatever the marketing name will be for the NX]" label and only start selling them near the NX launch, if that was the case.

Could we really be getting dual gamepad support on the Wii U? Maybe for simple games. I hear many games that use the touchscreen for more than simple menus cut the frame rates or resolution noticeably with just one gamepad. Who knows what two would do. But, that feature is 2 years overdue if it is possible and were to happen. (If Splatoon gets full featured local multiplayer because of this, I don't think too many would complain.)

Either way, this might be good for tinkerers and enthusiasts. I'd love for someone to make a PC application that lets me use the gamepad for games and basic Windows stuff, without needing too much extra hardware. Maybe that is partially the reason why Nintendo is now selling them alone, for some crazy quality of life style branching of the hardware they are planning?