Nintendo Trademarks "It's On Like Donkey Kong"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nintendo Trademarks "It's On Like Donkey Kong"

Nintendo hopes to own a popular phrase used to let people know that things are getting serious.

Nintendo is being really clever with its promotion of the upcoming piled up 7000 bananas [http://www.amazon.com/Donkey-Kong-Country-Returns-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B003ZHMMEM/ref=sr_1_11?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1289402420&sr=1-11] in a jungle lounge, and now it's filed a trademark for a widely used phrase related to the giant ape.

Nintendo has put in an official request with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office so that it can own the term: "It's on like Donkey Kong." The phrase's origin is impossible to determine, but it's been used in popular culture for years in everything from movies to rap songs.

Saying "It's on like Donkey Kong" means that something serious is about to go down. Someone using the phrase could be about to engage in a pie-eating competition, climb a mountain, or jump over rolling barrels while running up girders to save a woman from an ape. Its meaning is universal to whichever situation someone chooses to use it in.

But can Nintendo really trademark it? I'm no lawyer, but it seems dubious to me. The phrase has been used so many times in so many places that I don't see how Nintendo would be able to own it just because they own the name "Donkey Kong," but I suppose it's possible. In my opinion, Nintendo is filing the trademark as a publicity stunt so that people know Donkey Kong Country Returns comes out on November 21, a day that the company says it will be "on like Donkey Kong" in a recent press release. Just be careful using the phrase in the future, you don't want to be crushed by Nintendo's trademark enforcement apes.

Check out The Escapist's hands-on [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104219-NYCC-2010-Hands-On-Donkey-Kong-Country-Returns] of Donkey Kong Country Returns from the New York Comic Con to see what the hubbub is about.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Haha I haven't heard anyone use that phrase in so long. Jeez. Anyway, I highly doubt its possible anyway to trademark a phrase like that at this point in the game.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
They trademarked "LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!"

So, to me, this at least seems plausible.

But I think everything that's used it beforehand will be treated fairly, so they don't have to pay. Only new things that use it.

... Then again... I haven't heard it since the early 2000s at least.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If anyone would say "It's on like Donkey Kong" to me, I'd seriously laugh in their face.

forsinain42

Oct 14, 2009
Wow this used to be a big joke between me and a few friends... I expect a notice of sueification to be in the post...

Btw, sueification is a word. Nintendo own it. :p

Also, any reaction From Donkey Kong as to this story?

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Never heard it before and I don't want to hear it again. Doesn't even make sense .-.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
I don't see why not. If Paris Hilton can trademark "That's Hot" (which she certainly didn't originate) then Nintendo should be able to trademark "It's on Like Donkey Kong."

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I've never understood why people want to trademark phrases.
I like Nintendo and all, but trying to trademark a phrase puts them on the same level as Paris Hilton and Donald Trump.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
It could work. Some "famous" guy patented the phrase "Bling Bling" after it was widely used. I just remember seeing him on a Late Night w/ Such and Such commenting that he now owns it, but shortly after the phrase completely died cause no one else could use it.

In short: DO IT NINTENDO! Rid us of this line forever by patenting it.

Apr 28, 2008
RatRace123 said:
I like Nintendo and all, but trying to trademark a phrase puts them on the same level as Paris Hilton and Donald Trump.
And perhaps Tim Langdell, who got his ass handed to him.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Dexiro said:
Never heard it before and I don't want to hear it again. Doesn't even make sense .-.
If you ain't never heard Ice Cube bust that out in "Now I Gotta Wet Cha" then you need to step up your rap game.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Huh, I swore I heard something like this. Oh wait, this trailer has at 1:55 - 2:00. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NUBVcit5VM&feature=related]

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
They trademarked "LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!"

So, to me, this at least seems plausible.

But I think everything that's used it beforehand will be treated fairly, so they don't have to pay. Only new things that use it.

... Then again... I haven't heard it since the early 2000s at least.
What's most important is whether other uses could be confused with the use for which Nintendo is trademarking the phrase (which I assume has something to to with marketing Nintendo and its products), not necessarily whether the other use is an old or new one.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
RatRace123 said:
Because some catch phrases are so closely associated with a product and so popular that they're of significant value to their creators. For example, "got milk?"

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Is "That's funny" avaible? Coz I want that.

Or "Hardcore gamers"...to put it out of its misery.