Nintendo Urges Wii Owners to Please, Please Upgrade

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Wow, just wow. They're so desperate that they have resorted to begging.

I wonder if they are seriously so clueless to not see the incredibly big and very obvious flaw the WiiU has - a problem they can fix fairly easily within a year if they wanted to. By doing what they have always been doing.

Alright Nintendo, we'll give you a hint. It rhymes with "Bake tore fames".

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
ellers07 said:
The article yesterday explained why there were so few launch games. Why would I buy a system that has yet to release some promising games? I will be more than happy to consider an upgrade once Nintendo shows us something good.

While their at it, I could also use a few good games for the Wii. My Wii library is a little small and I'm still kind of waiting for that investment to pay off.

It's not going to happen is it?
Nope, not gonna happen.

Unless they make some drastic changes and pull themselves out of the hole, I believe the Wii U is likely the last console Nintendo ever make. They took a huge risk with going in a completely opposite direction than everyone else in the last cycle which, luckily enough, paid off. However, it doesn't look like staying on course is going to work out.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Nintendo you fucked yourself last cycle by putting out a cheap piece of everyone join in. Now if you don't do it over and over again your not going to "win" this generation again. Why the hell is mom, grandma, and the kids go out and get a piece of hardware that doesn't cater to what they expect. You took a gamble last generation and decided to go back towards the core crowd and you've been shunned.

misg

Apr 13, 2013
Personally, I don't play Nintendo games, I haven't since the N64. Don't get me wrong I would love to play many of Nintendo's Ip, but I'm not interested in buying their system to do it. I think they should go the way of Sega and become a publisher and I think this failed system might just force them to go that way.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
I didn't feel like upgrading to a 3DS....until Pokemon X/Y was announced. Now I'm upgrading.

The Wii U has no such thing to make me budge.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
I'll buy a WiiU when the games are out. I love Nintendo and I love my 3DS but even the 3DS had a slow trickle of worthwhile games over the months until the system exploded with great need-to-play titles. However, news for the WiiU has been slow at best, non-existent at its worst.

This reeks of desperation.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
I never bought the Wii because I only wanted Smash Brothers for it and I never wanted motion controls. Why would I need the Wii U? It has all the same problems the Wii did ( No unique games that I would be willing to buy a console for and gimmicky controls ). I barely touch my Xbox 360 and that's a far superior console to both of their systems.

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
For me at least, this problem cannot be fixed as simply as releasing the newest game featuring Link or Mario. I'm just not interested in family friendly adventure/platforming games. To get my money Nintendo needs to get some major 3rd party support.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know how the Wii U sales are in Japan? I am curious if it is succeeding over there, while in tanks in North America?

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I love Nintendo, but this is sad.
I wish they would just abandon home consoles, and go exclusively handheld.
I would love a 3DS exclusive Nintendo. Maybe they could even license multiplatform games for home consoles.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
So what, I imagine that if you buy one new at retail, you'd have to finish the update anyway?

kailus13 said:
Make a new Zelda, and make a new 3D Mario. That's what people really want. At current, the only game I might want is Lego City.
No. Make new fucking games that we can't already get on our old systems, and get 3rd party developers involved, then we might buy it.
I agree I am not touching a Zelda or Mario game after the last two awful games from those franchises. Besides last I saw Nintendo is just putting out re-releases this year and if it isn't a re-release it is a sequel with nothing changed. I was with Nintendo up till they abandoned me as a core gamer with the Wii now I am just embarrassed for them.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
That's what happens when you make a console intended mostly for non-gamers. The majority of Wii owners are perfectly happy with what they have and don't see any reason to get something new, especially when the new console isn't focused on motion control. They'll just keep playing their dance and exercise games, while the only ones who will get a WiiU are hardcore Nintendo fans and early adopters genuinely interested in the WiiU.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Evil Smurf said:
Sell Pokemon games on PC and you will make a killing.
Make them moddable or MMO and you get a perpetual money machine.

Yeah, like someone said before, both lack of advertising and lack of new games that would attract a hardcore gaming audience, this may go the way of low sales and slowly but surely start selling.

Oh! And release a new Metroid that makes Other M non canon.