Nintendo Wants Gamers to Play Through Breathing

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nintendo Wants Gamers to Play Through Breathing

Siliconera also points out that Nintendo filed a trademark for Wii Relax, which would obviously be a game related to a person's "Relax" age. I don't know about you, but playing games through breathing and tilting sounds pretty stressful to me, not that it isn't intriguing. Still, at some point you've got to wonder if the wave of controller-free gaming is moving into the unnecessary.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/10/07/nintendo-patent-shows-wii-vitality-sensor-game-example/]

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
This will detect many heart attacks in the elderly caused by the wii. It's kind of like lifecall, if you say, "I've fallen and I can't get up!" you will probably get bonus points. Also, if your heart stops you will have reached Wii Relax perfection.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Sounds pointless to me. If a game is based on my breathing, I think I can safely cut the game out of that equation without much harm.

However, could be an interesting system to use for horror games. But you know, it's the Wii, so maybe not the right market.

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, this seems strange, but could be implimented for horror games awesomely.

Think about it, it changes the atmophere to be more scary if your heart rate goes down, making it go up even higher.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Still, at some point you've got to wonder if the wave of controller-free gaming is moving into the unnecessary.
Moving into the unnecessary? I'm pretty sure we've been at that point for some time now.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
All I can say is make the blob's "hat" move up and "relax fluid" sound like Engrish euphemisms for controlling a Platinum game.

Are Nintendo finally shedding their child friendly image and making adult game where you have to keep your blob off the floor, make it's "hat" go up and earn relax fluid to win?

When the story of this Vitality Sensor first broke there were a few amusing comments about where you might attach the sensor if you were curious... the language in this patent isn't really helping matters.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
I see alot of this:

YOU HAVE FAILED! Try to relax, to control the sensor better

The more you play, the more you'll fail, and then you won't want to play

Jeshin

Sep 1, 2009
Actually, this requires only the use of your lungs and/or wrist so it might be something that disabled people could use, or the elderly. I suspect it won't be that straining as it would kind of defeat the point.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:
I see alot of this:

The more you play, the more you'll fail, and then you won't want to play
Lol.

Ever heard of a game called mindball?

It's a very basic idea essentially copying pong;
Except you use brain-waves to control it.

It measures whether you are in alpha, beta or gamma, which are all associated with how you're feeling.

But, to win the game you have to be as relaxed as possible.

As you become more relaxed than your opponent, the ball will move towards their end of the field.

Unfortunately, most people get excited when they're starting to win, so usually as you get closer to winning, it becomes harder to actually win.

Of course, the implications of this game suggest that to win you have to stop caring about whether you win or not...

More fun than what's described here though. XD

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
My immediate thought when I saw just the title was "F---. No."
Then I was thinking of some of the applications like measuring your stress/exhaustion in a game to create more player involvement and immersion.
LawlessSquirrel said:
However, could be an interesting system to use for horror games. But you know, it's the Wii, so maybe not the right market.
Yes, something like that would have potential. But as you noted, it is the Wii...

So we've got a game about breathing. To relax. Man, people are insufferable. Now we need video games to teach people how to calm down. Go read a book....

*Sighs*

**2 points!**

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
It's never a bad idea to add new control mechanics as long as they're implemented appropriately and don't cost too much. That said, this device WILL probably cost too much. I can't even imagine what it'll look like...some type of mask that will have to be strapped to the user's head. I think it might be justified as something that you work into a daily routine, possibly after yoga, a workout, or a nap. Imagine if it could detect particulates in your lungs and let you know if you're drunk, on drugs, or breathing in hazardous chemicals daily.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
There are already several games you play by breathing. SingStar, RockBand, Karaoke Revolution…

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I wonder if they could adapt this to a horror game.

When you're too calm, the game tries to stress you. When you're too stressed, the game goes even more harsher on you.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Seriously, that game sounds like a horrible idea. If they don't have any better use of the vitality sensor I don't see why anyone would get it.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Electrogecko said:
It's never a bad idea to add new control mechanics as long as they're implemented appropriately and don't cost too much. That said, this device WILL probably cost too much. I can't even imagine what it'll look like...some type of mask that will have to be strapped to the user's head. I think it might be justified as something that you work into a daily routine, possibly after yoga, a workout, or a nap. Imagine if it could detect particulates in your lungs and let you know if you're drunk, on drugs, or breathing in hazardous chemicals daily.
Did you read the article. It can sensor your inhaling and exhaling through your finger - the Vitality Sensor is that little thing on the picture, connected to the remote.

hurfdurp

Jun 7, 2010
Random Argument Man said:
I wonder if they could adapt this to a horror game.

When you're too calm, the game tries to stress you. When you're too stressed, the game goes even more harsher on you.
I initially thought it was for this purpose until I read all the way through.

Seems like I could play this game at the grocery store on the blood pressure machine.