Nintendo Will Carry Year of Luigi Into 2014

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Nintendo Will Carry Year of Luigi Into 2014

But for some of us, the Year of Luigi will never end -- it will become the Era of Luigi.

Nintendo first announced on Feb. 14 that 2013 would be the Year of Luigi. The company missed all of January, so it's only appropriate that Luigi's celebration continues in January 2014. Reggie Fils-Aime, president and COO of Nintendo of America, confirmed to Siliconera that the Year of Luigi is not over yet.

"There are some Year of Luigi activities that will continue into 2014," Fils-Aime said, "including some of the special products that we've launched (the Luigi remote and the Mario and Luigi 3DS XL) -- so there will be some Luigi products to carry the Luigi banner into the next calendar year."

So far, Nintendo has promoted some products and games featuring Luigi in celebration of the underappreciated younger brother of Mario. Including the Chicago and on the city's L train [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130127-Limited-Edition-Mario-Luigi-Dream-Team-3DS-XL-Available].

Despite all of this, Luigi is still the underappreciated plumber. It would be nice to see some more games in which Luigi is the starring character rather than placing him second to Mario. There's still time for the elusive Luigi 3DS XL seen in Japan and Europe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128717-Zelda-Themed-Limited-Edition-3DS-XL-Headed-to-Europe] to make it to North America. What events Nintendo has planned to end the Year of Luigi is up in the air, but let it be known that some of us will not stop celebrating the green plumber. Let's start the Era of Luigi.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/04/nintendos-reggie-talks-wii-u-western-development-operation-rainfall/]

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
The reign of the true king has finally begun.

After his rule is over we all await with bated breath for the grand period that is Tyranny of Wario.

This is good though. Luigi is by far my favorite of the Mario brothers next to Waluigi

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
<youtube=8OvY7Aipov4>

Yes! Don't stop the party, we've had nearly thirty years of Mario, it is time for WEEGEE!

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Now if they REALLY wanted to celebrate the Year of Luigi, they'd create a remake of Super Mario Land with Luigi as the protagonist since something like THAT will help explain how Luigi and Daisy became a couple.

I mean...no offense to the guy, but how the heck does a tomboy like Daisy become interested in a marshmallow like Luigi? If HE were the one who rescued her in that game, THAT would explain it!

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Give us a Luigi's Mansion for Wii U. The system is just begging for it.

P.S. Thanks

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I still don't even know what the year of Luigi was.
They released 2 Luigi games: a sequel to Luigi's Mansion and New Super Luigi U which was (from what I heard) just New Super Mario U except you're Luigi.

That's it.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Year of Luigi: Nintendo actually acknowledges that there's more than one Mario brother for a short while before sending him back into the cupboard under the stairs.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Can we get the Paper Luigi game based on his adventure in Thousand Year Door? Please? That would be amazing!

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Hero of Lime said:
Can we get the Paper Luigi game based on his adventure in Thousand Year Door? Please? That would be amazing!
Good sir we've been waiting for that game for almost a decade now. I don't think Nintendo wants to make it. T^T
Really though Luigi is a way better mascot than Mario I say because Luigi actually has personality! XD

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Neronium said:
Hero of Lime said:
Good sir we've been waiting for that game for almost a decade now. I don't think Nintendo wants to make it. T^T
Really though Luigi is a way better mascot than Mario I say because Luigi actually has personality! XD
I know, it will probably never happen. >.< I figured it would happen after they put some decent effort into creating the story. I just want to see the Blooey the White Torpedo in action! Is that too much to ask for Nintendo!

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Hero of Lime said:
We'll get that when we get a Zelda game based around Sheik.
*sob*

I do hope we get some more Weegi based games though, seeing as it's still his "year" of fame.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Shinsei-J said:
Hero of Lime said:
We'll get that when we get a Zelda game based around Sheik.
*sob*
That would be amazing. Until then, I'll be sobbing with you. ;_;

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Hero of Lime said:
We did already. It was called "Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door." Didn't you notice that Luigi's exploits seemed... familiar? That's because Luigi's stories described exactly what you had just done every time you meet him.

...actually, reskinning that game to use Luigi's imagery shouldn't be too difficult, though the dialogue would have to be rewritten almost completely and it'd need a different ending/end boss scenario, since the original wouldn't make much sense in that context.

OT: I'm sorry, but the "Year of Luigi" died when he did [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130244-Luigi-Actor-Danny-Wells-Dies]. There's nothing saying there can't be another one next year, but for now, the party is over.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
2xDouble said:
Hero of Lime said:
We did already. It was called "Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door." Didn't you notice that Luigi's exploits seemed... familiar? That's because Luigi's stories described exactly what you had just done every time you meet him.

...actually, reskinning that game to use Luigi's imagery shouldn't be too difficult, though the dialogue would have to be rewritten almost completely and it'd need a different ending/end boss scenario, since the original wouldn't make much sense in that context.

OT: I'm sorry, but the "Year of Luigi" died when he did [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130244-Luigi-Actor-Danny-Wells-Dies]. There's nothing saying there can't be another one next year, but for now, the party is over.
Not really, he was in a theater play, go kart race, met a boy named Cranberry in some ruins, went to a jungle area dressed as a bride, etc. There are some parallels no doubt, but they put him in some outlandish situations I would like to experience in a Paper Mario-like game.

I do agree with you on not renewing the Year of Luigi again, having a specific year was cool, but I wouldn't want them to overdo it. I want a Year of Samus/Metroid after Nintendo ignored her 25th anniversary.

Jun 20, 2013
Dragonbums said:
The reign of the true king has finally begun.

After his rule is over we all await with bated breath for the grand period that is Tyranny of Wario.

This is good though. Luigi is by far my favorite of the Mario brothers next to Waluigi
Somebody needs to put that red-shirted sociopath in his place. Luigi will have his day. There will be brawl.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Hero of Lime said:
ignored her 25th anniversary.
Fucking shit.

OT: I was expecting a lot more from this year of luigi. He got two games, one being dlc.

Not exactly a huge event.