Nintendo Wins Big in French Copying Case

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Nintendo Wins Big in French Copying Case

Nintendo is celebrating a legal victory in France, where an appeals court has ruled that the sale of the R4 and other Nintendo DS "linkers" is against the law.

Nintendo's ongoing efforts to combat piracy on its DS handheld suffered a blow in late 2009 when a French court appealed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96554-Nintendo-Loses-Lawsuit-Against-DS-Flash-Cards].

It took a couple of years for the matter to work its way through the system but the second time appears to be the charm for Nintendo, as the Paris Court of Appeals, the country's second-highest court, overturned the earlier decision and issued guilty verdicts against six companies for importing, selling and distributing the devices. The offenders were fined more than €460,000 [$611,000], ordered to pay more than €4.8 million [$6.4 million] in damages to Nintendo and in some cases were even given suspended prison terms.

Nintendo said in a statement [https://ap.nintendo.com/_pdf/news/402875077.pdf] that the ruling "represents a strong message to French companies dealing in these devices, that such activities are illegal and will not be tolerated." It also noted that the decision brings France in line with other European countries including the Netherlands, U.K., Germany, Italy and Belgium, where similar decisions have already been rendered. In the U.S., where citizens have a constitutionally-enshrined right to own and carry as many guns as they want, R4 devices have been ruled to be in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

via: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/37651/Nintendo_Applauds_French_Ruling_Against_Game_Copying_Devices.php]

Dec 14, 2009
Hmmmm.

I feel strange.

I find myself not caring about what Nintendo are doing anymore, apart from Skyward Sword, they've pretty much been off my radar for about 2 years. The 3DS is dead in the water (for me, anyway, with no games worth buying for the damn thing), and the WiiU being what the Wii should have been in the first place.

They don't feel relevant anymore, and that makes me sad.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Satsuki666 said:
I have to say its times like these when I really do hate nintendo.
... For making an effort to protect their system from things such as R4 cards which enable piracy?

I don't see how that's a bad thing at all.

Dec 14, 2009
LeonLethality said:
Satsuki666 said:
I have to say its times like these when I really do hate nintendo.
... For making an effort to protect their system from things such as R4 cards which enable piracy?

Totally off topic.

Your avatar...

What have you done to Chibiterasu!

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Totally off topic.

Your avatar...

Somehow, when I changed my avatar to this, something told me you would be the first to comment on it. Wow I have like ESP or something.

Dec 14, 2009
LeonLethality said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Totally off topic.

Your avatar...

Somehow, when I changed my avatar to this, something told me you would be the first to comment on it. Wow I have like ESP or something.
Quiet you!

You shall pay for this.

Maybe not today, maybe not tommorow...

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
In the U.S., where citizens have a constitutionally-enshrined right to own and carry as many guns as they want, R4 devices have been ruled to be in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
I own both a gun and a flash cartridge . . . . for homebrew apps of course . . . . the flash cartridge not the gun, don't use the gun for homebrew.

They should keep in mind though that if they outlaw flash cartridges then only the outlaws will have flash cartridges. Do we really want that? Think of the children !!!!!

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Was there really any need for that gun-rights line at the end?

Seems a little off topic and more than a little cheap.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
The only good part about this news is that the R4 is out-dated as shit by now, so no-one in France was actually affected.
By the way, distribution, possession and acquisition of empty R4 (and other) cards was never ruled illegal in Germany, get your facts right.
The issue here has never been what you could theoretically accomplish but what you actually do.

Dec 14, 2009
Ser Imp said:
Daystar Clarion said:
LeonLethality said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Totally off topic.

Your avatar...

Quiet you!

You shall pay for this.

Settle down Daystar,
I think you could use a little hair of the dog that bit you
Listen here you!

You damn kids and your damn puns!

Why, back in my day, we didn't have clever language use! We had to say what we meant in clear and concise terms.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Satsuki666 said:
LeonLethality said:

Because the R4 card was a great thing. It allowed you to store all of your games and many other things on one little card. It was extremely useful when traveling.
The cards and even their cases were incredibly small, and you can carry like 30 non-cased games in your pocket, they're not cumbersome in the least, and while that is a valid point, I highly doubt the very large majority of people with an R4 use it for just storage of games they already own. I'm very sure the majority use it for storage of games they have not purchased.

I'm not saying you yourself use it for piracy, but I'm fairly certain you don't represent the majority of people who use them.

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
Satsuki666 said:
LeonLethality said:

Because the R4 card was a great thing. It allowed you to store all of your games and many other things on one little card. It was extremely useful when traveling.
You do realize how small DS games are right? Most people could probably fit all the games they feel like playing for the next few days in their pockets. The only real use for the R4 was piracy.

EDIT: Ninja'd damn...

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
LeonLethality said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Totally off topic.

Your avatar...

Or maybe when you showed it to me on Skype, I knew he would say something about it too. I was teeheeing.
Daystar Clarion said:
LeonLethality said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Totally off topic.

Your avatar...

Quiet you!

You shall pay for this.

Oh come on, what if Ammy was doing that and not Chibi? I think you would love it.

Dec 14, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
LeonLethality said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Totally off topic.

Your avatar...

Or maybe when you showed it to me on Skype, I knew he would say something about it too. I was teeheeing.
Daystar Clarion said:
LeonLethality said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Totally off topic.

Your avatar...

Quiet you!

You shall pay for this.

Oh come on, what if Ammy was doing that and not Chibi? I think you would love it.
It's not that I dislike the idea of a nodding dog head, but the animation for the one above looks terrible.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Satsuki666 said:
LeonLethality said:

Yeah...I DOUBT that r4 owners use it for that. The games are small so putting them in pockets shouldn't be a problem. They also sell game cases to store multiple games. And if(and I do mean a big if) the r4 owners already owned the game they stored in it, that means that they have two save files of that game. And that would be stupid.