Nintendo Wins Big in French Copying Case

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
It's not that I dislike the idea of a nodding dog head, but the animation for the one above looks terrible.
I love it. It's just needs some club music and it's perfect.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
Daystar Clarion said:
It's not that I dislike the idea of a nodding dog head, but the animation for the one above looks terrible.
I have just the perfect background for this!

Daystar Clarion said:
It's supposed to look terrible, that was the point of it.

Though now that it's been mentioned to look like head banging I have an idea...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I don't get why the companies had to pay or had people sentenced to jail time.
When these people sold the R4s, they were entirely legal. Are they being punished for not knowing they'd be illegal in the future?

In Ontario the drinking age used to be 18, now it's 19. Is every bar that sold alcohol to the people when they were 18 going to be retroactively fined for not having a crystal ball and seeing the future where 19 is the legal age?

milo2215

Jul 23, 2010
LeonLethality said:
Aura Guardian said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I have just the perfect background for this!

Daystar Clarion said:
It's supposed to look terrible, that was the point of it.

Though now that it's been mentioned to look like head banging I have an idea...
Dude, your avatar is freaking me out...can't...look...away!!!

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Maybe Nintendo could take the hint that their DS games are overpriced crap, £30 for a handheld game is not a reasonable asking price.

Kezboard

Jan 7, 2011
Just another manifestation of the industry's belief that people shouldn't be allowed to run their own code on their own hardware they bought with their own money.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Kezboard said:
Just another manifestation of the industry's belief that people shouldn't be allowed to run their own code on their own hardware they bought with their own money.
Exactly.

A big win for Nintendo is a big lose for the consumer.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Well, no matter what people claim to use their flash cards for, a great majority of them are in reality just using them for piracy. Because why pay for games when you can just buy an R4 and download them, right?

Yeah, I'm glad the court ruled in favor of Nintendo. The homebrew market for the DS is stale at best. For the Wii it's even worse. There are better places to go for indie gaming.

illas

RAWR!!!
Apr 4, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Hmmmm.

I feel strange.

I find myself not caring about what Nintendo are doing anymore, apart from Skyward Sword, they've pretty much been off my radar for about 2 years. The 3DS is dead in the water (for me, anyway, with no games worth buying for the damn thing), and the WiiU being what the Wii should have been in the first place.

They don't feel relevant anymore, and that makes me sad.
My thoughts exactly - and that is a sad state of affairs.

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
illas said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Hmmmm.

I feel strange.

I find myself not caring about what Nintendo are doing anymore, apart from Skyward Sword, they've pretty much been off my radar for about 2 years. The 3DS is dead in the water (for me, anyway, with no games worth buying for the damn thing), and the WiiU being what the Wii should have been in the first place.

They don't feel relevant anymore, and that makes me sad.
My thoughts exactly - and that is a sad state of affairs.
I wish I could say differently but it's the same for me. Most of the games I want for the 3ds are staying in Japan. While I wouldn't mind importing them as I did with the Phoenix Wright series and a couple of others, region locking has left me out in the cold.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Satsuki666 said:
LeonLethality said:
The cards and even their cases were incredibly small, and you can carry like 30 non-cased games in your pocket, they're not cumbersome in the least, and while that is a valid point, I highly doubt the very large majority of people with an R4 use it for just storage of games they already own. I'm very sure the majority use it for storage of games they have not purchased.

I'm not saying you yourself use it for piracy, but I'm fairly certain you don't represent the majority of people who use them.
Thats actually why I like them. DS cards are rather small and I know far to many people who have lost them. If you only have one and it stays in the DS you are far less likely to loose it then if you had thirty of them.
That is true they are useful, I had one that I used to demo games that I later bought if I liked the game and for home brew, but I'm okay with this decision because the two of us are in a minority here, most of the R4s were being used for pirated game.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011

While I'm all for ranting about how the 2nd amendment is an outdated law that conservatives refuse to give up, I seriously don't understand why it's even mentioned here. Did you have it on your mind when you were writing this and you didn't have enough sleep or something?

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Kezboard said:
Exactly.

I always love how some consumers have not worked this out and are quite happy to back this behaviour. You got to give credit to and industry who have managed that brainwashing.

When will people workout that these companies are using the the fear of piracy to set precedent here. These precedents will then be used not on piracy but on other behaviour that threatens their bottom line. The same strategy that governments used with the threat of terrorism, that also hoodwinked people into giving up their rights quite happily.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
ph0b0s123 said:
Crono1973 said:
Kezboard said:
Exactly.

I always love how some consumers have not worked this out and are quite happy to back this behaviour. You got to give credit to and industry who have managed that brainwashing.

When will people workout that these companies are using the the fear of piracy to set precedent here. These precedents will then be used not on piracy but on other behaviour that threatens their bottom line. The same strategy that governments used with the threat of terrorism, that also hoodwinked people into giving up their rights quite happily.
Some gamers act like drug addicts who will accept anything if they are told that it helps their supplier.

Here's the thing though, all this good will gamers have thrown at game companies will eventually run out and gamers will see how their good will has been used against them. Maybe we will see another crash.

night_chrono

Mar 13, 2008
The problem is that Nintendo paints a picture of these are ONLY FOR PIRACY. While the vast majority of users are probably using it for piracy, it is not the only function of it.

Lets compare using an R4 (or similar device) to jailbreaking an iphone (which is perfectly legal). Jailbreaking an iphone allows you to run unofficial apps. Using an R4 allows you to run homebrew. Jailbreaking an iphone allows you install paid apps for free. Using an R4 allows you to play pirated games.

So why are R4's illegal, while jaibreaking an iphone is legal?

As for the people that disagree with the argument of its more convenient to have an R4 then a bunch of game I have this to say: Have you ever walked around with MULTIPLE game cases? Yes DS cards are small, but if you are going out and want some variety you have to bring a lot of cases. Over the year I have owned a number of DS cases, and the most one ever held that I owned was 8. So having my Pokemon games in one took up most of one case, not to mention Mario kart, Star Fox, New Super Mario Bros, and all the various other games I might want to play. Sorry that I find having no cases, and one cartridge much more convenient. Not to mention between carrying my DS, my PSP. my Zune, my cell phone, and all the various chargers my pockets were stuffed.

Plus when I bought games I rarely played on the official cartridge. I would buy them, come home dump the image to my computer, and play only on my R4 (or whatever cart I had at the time). So that kills the argument someone had about how dumb it would be to have multiple saves.

The problem is that you are allowed your legitimate backups of any physical media, but if it has copy-protection on it, bypassing it is a crime under the DMCA.