Nintendo World Hosting Pokemon X and Y Launch Event

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Nintendo World Hosting Pokemon X and Y Launch Event

The NYC-based Nintendo World store will host a launch event Friday night for the next Pokemon games in the series.

Those of us picking up Pokemon X and Y might have some problems with social interaction for some time while we're absorbed in the game, but anyone in New York City can party with other Pokemon fans before the game's release. Nintendo World in New York City is hosting a special event this Friday, Oct. 11 beginning at 8 p.m. Attendees can play demo versions of Pokemon X and Y, win giveaways, and take pictures in a photobooth with a costumed Pikachu and inflatabales of X and Y's legendary Pokemon Xerneas and Yveltal. And for cosplayers, Nintendo World will have a stage showcase for anyone dressed up as Pokemon characters.

The event ends at 1 a.m., but the store will remain open throughout the night to accommodate all attendees who have been waiting in line to purchase X and Y. Also available for purchase will be the Nintendo 2DS, which launches the same day as the new Pokemon games.

Pokemon X and Y is the series' first step into 3D. The new generation has added the fairy-type, mega evolutions, sky battles, horde encounters, and player customization. It's also drawing on nostalgia by offering a second starter, one of the three original starters who you now receive from the professor in X and Y. Nintendo is also offering an online transfer and storage service called Pokemon Bank at $5 a year, but it will not be available until Dec. 27. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128440-Pokemon-X-and-Ys-Pokemon-Bank-Wont-Launch-Until-Dec-27 ]

Source: Nintendo World [http://www.nintendoworldstore.com/]

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
The one time I live on the same continent as one of these events and I just happen to be in Florida... Oh, well, I'll just continue waiting for my pre-order pick up without fanfare.

BoredWalker

Aug 14, 2012
roseofbattle said:
Pokemon X and Y is the series' first step into 3D.
Yes; after all, Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness totally don't exist. Also, the Gen 4 games certainly didn't use a 3D engine mixed with sprites for all non-battle portions of the games, and the Gen 5 games most definitely didn't use fully 3D environments and a 3D battle engine with a reduced reliance on sprites.

O.T.:
Sounds like a good deal for the locals - me, I've got a local Pokemon pre-release thing to go to. *Shuffles off, grumbling something about a doctor's appointment the same time the store opens Saturday*

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
I would go, if I liked the thought of being out of the house at midnight. I can just walk ten minutes and pick it up on Saturday at Gamestop. I will probably stop by on Saturday to get some street passes, though.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I'll be there! I'll even be in cosplay.

I'm the one that isn't Matt Hullum.

From the Nintendo World site:
Please note: we will distribute wristbands allowing you to buy the game at an allotted time so that you may fully enjoy the event. To accommodate as many fans as possible, we will stay open for 21 hours, from midnight on 10/12 to 9pm Saturday evening.

So, waiting in line may not be necessary, and it'll probably rain Fri./Sat. So that's something.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Who the hell cares about demos? The game will play exactly like previous games except for stuff that only affects gameplay in long term, such as evolution changes. The rest is graphics stuff, and I figure Nintendo has probably shown gameplay before so you know what it will look like. And finally there would be soundtrack stuff, but Pokemon has never had a good or memorable soundtrack.
But I liked Red's battle theme in Gen 2 and N's battle themes in Gen 5.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
ThunderCavalier said:
Well they were alright themes, but nothing amazing. Nothing Shoji Meguro "This is worth coming to exclusive event just to hear the soundtrack" level amazing.
That was a low blow. Very few people can compare to Shoji Meguro's work. I love his work, especially the beautiful Persona soundtracks.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Well, while the event was fun, Nintendo didn't handle it too well. A huge chunk of the line for the event was skipped because the people handing out wristbands only gave them to people waiting by the store, and a lot of people were kept out even if they had wristbands because they left for food (even though their site said that with a wristband you'd be able to come and go so that they'd be less crowding).

This happened though, so that's nice and rewarding: