Nintendo World Unveils 3DS Launch Lineup, Battery Life

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nintendo World Unveils 3DS Launch Lineup, Battery Life

The following video from the event explains the 3DS in Japanese, and shows off some of the previously mentioned features. They start at around 1:40 with the reveal of the 3DS home screen that is very similar to the DSi's. It goes on to display how Mii's are created on the 3DS, which is very similar to how it works on the Wii, but the 3DS also includes the ability to take a picture of the user's face to automatically change it into a Mii. Pretty neat. The video later gives us a look at how the 3DS can read AR/QR code cards, which are shaped like a Mario "?" block, and another of the handheld's augmented reality games.

The 3DS will launch with 8 games ranging from ¥4,800 ($58) to ¥6,090 ($73). These include Nintendogs + Cats, Winning Eleven 3D Soccer, Combat of Giants Dinosaur 3D, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103936-Update-Super-Street-Fighter-3DS-Features-Behind-the-Shoulder-Hadoukens]. The lack of a key Nintendo franchise, such as Mario or Zelda, is notable. Perhaps Nintendo will get some of these out soon after.

Nintendo also revealed that the 3DS's battery will last 3-5 hours when playing 3DS games, and 5-8 hours when playing regular DS games. Charging the 3DS from a fully drained state to maximum power will take 3.5 hours. For comparison's sake, the DS Lite can last 15-19 hours on its lowest brightness setting and 5-8 hours on high, while the DSi XL lasts 13-17 hours on low brightness and 4-5 hours on high. The 3DS's battery life is on the low end, but that may be the cost for the work it takes to render 3D with no glasses. It's not too bad, but longer trips without a power outlet around may require hanging onto that DS Lite or DSi for now.

If you don't mind a little Japanese, Nintendo's 3DS page has more information about upcoming titles here [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/index.html].

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/08/updated_3ds_specs/]

minuialear

Jun 15, 2010
The battery life sucks, but considering the thing's almost as powerful as a Wii I think it's acceptable.

I hope the price goes down when it's sold outside Japan (both the cost of the unit and the cost of games)...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
battery life isnt great but being able to stop using the 3d for longer life is nice, still lasts longer then a psp, at least one of the 2001 ones that I have

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Battery life, not great. Price, not great. But I suppose technology's improving all the time and both will decrease eventually.

Plus it'll sell like hot cakes no matter what.

And isn't Professor Layton a major franchise now?

Ranchcroutons

Sep 12, 2010
I'm not sure 3-5 hours is going to cut it for me...and that's their estimated time based on very controlled test so battery life is probably closer to 3-4 hours.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Noooooot too keen on the pricing... But, I rarely play my DS for longer than three hours at a time without having it plugged in as it is, so the battery life isn't at all a dealbreaker for me.

I just... $300 for the system and then another $58 - $72 (Probably rounded to $60 - $75, knowing this country) thats a bit steep for me. This thing is going to be like buying another console. Hell, I paid less for my Xbox 360 than I will be for this thing.

I still want it. God knows I still want it. I just hope the price goes down.

Draithx

Jul 8, 2009
The huge price of it + the short battery life on it make it a deal breaker for me. Not to mention their line-up isn't looking that great apart from Layton.

I'll wait patiently for the inevitable better remakes of it, hopefully with longer battery life.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
AWWWW!! I wanted to get this at release, but there's nothing there even halfway worth buying. What a waste of an opening line-up. How annoying.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Gah, it just occurred to me, a major possible issue... What happens when (as it inevitably will) the touch screen gets all rubbed up and you can see marks on it? How will that affect the 3D? Did they deal with that at all? Am I the first to think of this? Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but how many of you DS owners look at your screen and can see slide marks from rubbing the screen? I use mine regularly and with great vigor, and I suspect I'd do the same with the new model, but will it be OK?

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
coldfrog said:
Gah, it just occurred to me, a major possible issue... What happens when (as it inevitably will) the touch screen gets all rubbed up and you can see marks on it? How will that affect the 3D? Did they deal with that at all? Am I the first to think of this? Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but how many of you DS owners look at your screen and can see slide marks from rubbing the screen? I use mine regularly and with great vigor, and I suspect I'd do the same with the new model, but will it be OK?
I think the 3D effect is only applied to the top screen, the one without touchscreen capabilities.

OT: Meh, the battery life isn't that bad, especially considering the battery life and battery for my regular DS is pretty much borked. Besides, if it's really that much of an issue, muting the system and turning the 3D effect off should give players some extra time to play, albeit not much.

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
Well THAT sux...all of the games that I want to play for the 3DS are not showing up at launch. SO I'll have the 3DS...aaaand wont be able to do anything with it (gaming wise) until the games I care about are released. I have no idea when Zelda or Starfox are going to be released either..so that really pisses me off. This is the worst collection of game launches with a new console ive ever seen. *Sigh*

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
I think I'm going to be using my DS for a long time if this is the case. 300 dollars is a lot of money and I could buy a console with that amount of cash. And with 3 hours of battery life I might as well buy a console. Hardly efficient on long trips.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
$300 for what comes in the box seems reasonable enough to me. The price for games will probably be cheaper when they come out here. Also;

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACER