Nintendo's First Quarter Shows Rising Profits

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Nintendo's First Quarter Shows Rising Profits

[img_source="http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu" site="Nintendo"]

Wii U sales may start to pick up as well, as Nintendo forecasts 900 million unit sales for the year.

It's an odd financial quarter where you make fewer sales this year than you did last year, but still post a healthier profit; yet that's what Nintendo has managed to do. Net sales in April-June 2013 were ¥81, 548 million, ($829.684 million) a decrease of a little under ¥4,000 million on the same period last year. However because cost of sales went down, that means gross profits are up, and net income rose to ¥8,624 million ($87.742 million) overall. Nintendo acknowledges that its next generation Wii U console hasn't enjoyed good sales, but hopes that a flood of new first and third party titles will revive interest in it.

That's why Nintendo's forecasting 900 million Wii U units sold by March 2014. Currently it's managed to move about 3.61 million units world wide, which means Nintendo believes it can move twice as many units as it has so far, in the next year. Given the Wii U's Monolith Software [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125691-Pachter-Why-Would-Anyone-Buy-A-Wii-U]."

There may be another way forward. "We also strive to improve hardware profitability by reducing [Wii U] costs," says Nintendo, but whether or not this suggests a price cut on the horizon is debatable. It's more likely that the console will hold its price at the current level for now, while striving to make as much as it can out of those margins. Later, perhaps, a reduction in costs will be passed on to the consumer, but for right now Nintendo needs all the Wii U help it can get.

Source: Nintendo [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/earnings/index.html]

JMPease21

Jun 11, 2010
Karloff said:
Currently it's managed to move about 361,000 units world wide, which means Nintendo believes it can move twice as many units as it has so far, in the next year.
Pretty sure it's sold 3.61 million units since launch, not 361,000.

source: http://www.besttechie.com/2013/07/31/nintendo-has-only-sold-3-61-million-wii-u-systems-since-launch/

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
You guys read the news all wrong!

They're projecting 9 Million WiiU's sold, not 900,000, Nor 900 Million.

They've sold 3.61 Million WiiU's as of now.

Why is it 4,000 Million Yen, when it should be 4 Billion Yen?

I'm really confused as to who wrote this. You need to rewrite it, ASAP.

JDviewer

Mar 3, 2009
As the others have said, I think you need to double check the figures for this article. If they sell 900 million units its about one unit for every eight people in the world!

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
uh, you might wanna change some of those numbers because they are WAY off.

Anyway, the fact that they're still profiting despite all the doomsaying shows that Nintendo is NOT in trouble. Once the first party titles start coming in things will pick up. Once again Nintendo has to do all the work themselves because expecting 3rd parties to do their jobs properly is too much to ask nowadays

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
This means nothing. Nintendo is still doomed.

On a more serious note, who the hell is checking the facts in this article? The numbers are all over the place. Fix that please.

Also, as DVS BSTrD said, I would be more surprised if they didn't make money. 1 bad year in a companies history and everyone thinks the company is doomed... get real people.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Ok, just to add to the chorus, however unneeded it is, what's up with the editing going in the news lately? It would seem like one out of three news posts has to be fact checked, typo corrected or something along those lines these days. 900 million Wii Us? That wouldn't even make sense in my head if I had written it. Stop trying to race to the goal for posting and show some retraint in the name of good writing.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
This means nothing. Nintendo is still doomed.

On a more serious note, who the hell is checking the facts in this article? The numbers are all over the place. Fix that please.

Also, as DVS BSTrD said, I would be more surprised if they didn't make money. 1 bad year in a companies history and everyone thinks the company is doomed... get real people.
Yeah... Seriously. This is a company founded in 1889, and it's had much, much worse periods than 1 bad financial year immediately following a bunch of years with record profits...

I mean, immediately prior to this 'bad year' Nintendo actually had more cash available than Microsoft did...
And Microsoft is notorious for hoarding money 'just in case'...

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Give us 'X' Nintendo and i'll bloody well buy a Wii U. Until then it can sit on the shelf and get cheaper while I wait for Tales of Xillia 1 and 2

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Mr.Mattress said:
IIRC the British say 1,000 million instead of 1 Billion. It's a cultural thing.

I'm guessing this was written by an Englishman.

I'm guessing they didn't run it by an editor, too.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Copper Zen said:
Mr.Mattress said:
IIRC the British say 1,000 million instead of 1 Billion. It's a cultural thing.

I'm guessing this was written by an Englishman.

I'm guessing they didn't run it by an editor, too.
it's not "instead of", our billion is 1,000,000,000,000, or in other words, "a million million" (since it's two millions BI-llion)