Nintendo's Iwata Talks Friend Codes, Wii MotionPlus

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Nintendo's Iwata Talks Friend Codes, Wii MotionPlus

Satoru Iwata, Chief Executive Officer at Nintendo, is watching the response to the Wii's Friend Code system and the release of Wii MotionPlus.

The E3 announcement of Wii MotionPlus [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84994], a Wiimote attachment allowing improved Wii Remote response to height and space, brought about questions of why such precise motion wasn't included with the console's launch.

"The idea [for Wii MotionPlus] is something we've been contemplating for quite a long time," responded Iwata, who points to pricing as a major release delay. "My understanding about the timing, the reason we are announcing this kind of attachment right now, is because we have come to the stage where we can purchase a significant amount of the gyroscope technology at a reasonable price point, and the stability of this kind of technology itself has been confirmed, so that's why we're making this announcement today."

Nintendo saw the standard Wiimote's success as a sign that consumers would accept the peripheral.

Iwata noted, "As a matter of fact, this kind of design was first conceived only after the initial Wii Remote design had been completed. And of course, as Wii Sports has already proved in the marketplace, the Wii Remote itself is pretty interesting [to consumers]."

Game developers, too, played a role in pushing out a new generation of Wiimote hardware.

"As we came up with a great idea like Wii Sports, every other software producer and creator started to think about something more. That's the reason why internally they started to demand that some more technology be brought to the Wii Remote," he said.

As for battery life consumption, Iwata added, "I cannot say it won't consume any additional energy from the Wii Remote; however, it's not going to be significant."

With Animal Crossing: City Folk [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85029] also topping Nintendo's E3 conference, the issue of online play via the Wii will quickly became an even bigger issue.

Iwata admitted the current friend code system has flaws. He said, "First of all, I don't think the current system we have with Friend Codes is perfect."

However, Nintendo is still currently supporting its current, more anonymous model.

"However, if it's an online world where you can get access to anybody without any restrictions, I as a father do not feel like allowing my daughter be engaged in that kind of world," he explained. "So for Nintendo, especially in terms of the people who have never experienced online video games before, we think that it's still very important to create a world where we can assure that there will be no harassment for these online beginners, and we really want to assure the security and safety for them to do that. So we will be studying this on an ongoing basis in order to improve Nintendo's own circumstances where people can freely and safely enjoy the communications through the net."

Source: GameDaily [http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/features/interview-satoru-iwata-talks-wii-motionplus-supplydemand--more/?biz=1&page=1]

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I say get rid of the friend codes and actually have a reason to have "Parental Controls" for the Wii. The only time i know of someone using the Parental controls for the Wii was when one of my friends mother used it to block a game that had a witch in it.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Haha, looks like someone in the front row asked a question Iwata didn't like and he's getting ready to throw a Wii at them xD

I'm glad to hear that the developers were feeling limited by the Wii's remote, it makes me think there might be hope for the little box in the future afterall.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Haha, looks like someone in the front row asked a question Iwata didn't like and he's getting ready to throw a Wii at them xD
If that person is American I'd be grateful for that (damn shortages DX)

Dramus

Jul 12, 2008
Why all the American hating? Just because we're culturally, mentally, and physically superior to all other nations and can eat them for breakfast any day of the week and twice on Sunday?
I kid, I kid. In all seriousness, the Wii Motion Plus is a great idea, the sword fighting looks amazing, and Friend codes should be a parental option, not a requirement. I understand Iwata's desire to have a safe environment for his daughter, but not everyone wants such restrictions, and forcing them on them has the same smack as that Australian guy saying that he wouldn't allow a mature classification because parents were irresponsible and needed big brother watching over them.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Dramus said:
Why all the American hating? Just because we're culturally, mentally, and physically superior to all other nations and can eat them for breakfast any day of the week and twice on Sunday?
Just to clear this up, I am American i was just referencing how it's nigh impossible to get a Wii in the states. I had to wake up at 6 in the morning, make my dad drive to Circuit City (an hour drive at most), wait for 3-4 hours being first in line, and hvaing to go to the bath room the whole entire time.

by the time the store opened, they only had 3 due to a shipping malfunction so the really awesome Indian guy couldn't get one for his kids. I felt sorry for him.

But that's nothing compared to my friend who stayed infront of Target at 2 in the morning.

Oy, i'm rambling, just get rid of friend codes and put the parental controls to use Nintendo.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
Logan Frederick said:
Iwata admitted the current friend code system has flaws. He said, "First of all, I don't think the current system we have with Friend Codes is perfect."
No $#!T...What person in his right mind goes around carrying that ridiculous friend code in his/her pocket to exchanges to build a friends list. This was a disaster from the get-go. My friends and I who do own a Wii don't play together beacuse we're too dense and lazy to write out this 15+ random alpha/numeric code and then email it to each other.

They should follow the straight forward model just like everyone else.

What were they thinking with this?

Merlark

Dec 18, 2003
You might as well not have an online mode using the friend code system, it's an insult to anyone who tries. It's like going back to the original Doom days and playing with a friend hooked up to another computer across from you with a serial cable.

We have come a long way Iwata, to heck with your kids, maybe if you watched them play games instead of making Game developers cry at night we would all be happy.

Friend codes would work if you could actually make friends, roaming the internet message boards is a poor chose in 'child safety' if you ask me.