Nintendo's New Handheld is a Revamped, Redesigned 3DS

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
major_chaos said:
No, no, nonoonononoooooo. What the fuck Nintendo, there is nothing good about this. You are having a hard enough time getting people to realize the WiiU isn't just a new version of the Wii, how the hell do you expect to sell theses things? And exclusive games? Really? Yea forcing people to upgrade to a slightly better version of the handheld they just bought is going to go over faaaaaantasticaly. Also is the article implying that little "C button" is suppose to replace the circle pad? It better not mean that, because that little shitty nub thing is not even close to good enough to replace a proper stick. Normally I like Nintendo's handhelds even if I loath their consoles, but I'll buy a PS Vita before I buy this giant pile of what the fuck.
While maybe not as upset as you, I agree that this is a bad look. This coming from someone who sells video games for a living. Trust me, whenever I hear a customer come in and say, "My son was looking for something called the 'DS'", my entire brain begs me to run away screaming. Its already a massive and (literally) painful clusterfuck trying to explain to people what the hell the differences are between the SEVEN existing DS models and which games work for which systems.

Throw in the fact that I work in a store right outside DC where we have an extremely diverse customer base, and now you can add language barriers on top of the fact that most of these parents (who, lets be honest are the real customers here, on behalf of their kids), of any nationality or language, don't really care about it.

Now I can add an EIGHTH system to the mix and a THIRD exclusive set of games. Believe me, when I read this, the fact that they're just calling it the New 3DS, while annoying, is the least of my concerns.

major_chaos said:
xaszatm said:
Also, Xenoblade Chronicles is this important? Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but have you seen the 3DS version? It doesn't look like an improvement. The framerate seems wonky as all hell and it looks like this system is just barely able to handle it. I'd suggest the Wii version of this new one.
I'm not specifically worried about Xenoblade because I allready have the Wii version (somehow. those disks are fucking pressed unobtaniuim), I'm worried that
A. all future major 3DS exclusives are going to require this version in order to drive sales and
B. this sets an ugly precedent if it does well. Can you imagine Microsoft latching onto this concept? "Now introducing the Xbox one.5!!! The totaly optional [sub](lol not really)[/sub] upgraded version of the Xbox One!! Now exactly the same but with faceplates and 1GB more RAM! Only $499! Get yours now, because otherwise you can't play Halo 6 suckers"
I'm not as concerned with this. For all their faults, its worth noting that Sony AND Microsoft both created new 'models' of their PS3 and 360s (some pretty major changes to them physically and internally) but they never made a new format. If I recall correctly, the DS came out roughly in the same timeframe as the 360 and PS3, and I notice that the 3DS is now approaching its 3rd new 'format' in that time frame, whereas we JUST got the first new console format in the form of PS4/XB1.

Point is, I don't think Microsoft or Sony will pull that, and if they do make new models (which they already are), they won't make them exclusive formats. Microsoft got enough bad press from E3 2013, they're not dumb enough to do that again, no not even Microsoft.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Dying_Jester said:
Well, I've not owned a Nintendo handheld since the DS lite, guess I'll add this to the list of stuff to get.
-Guts of a PC I'm building
-Wii U
-New 3DS

Edit-
So, I read some of the comments and I gotta say I'm confused by the frustration of some people. I can't understand why people are trying to look at this like it's just another 3DS, like the 2DS or XL. Not every new handheld generation needs to be so drastically different to warrant purchase. I don't see this as anything different then having a PS1, but needing to upgrade to a PS2 to play PS2 games.
Because this clearly isn't the '4DS', or whatever Nintendo is going to call their ACTUAL new system.

My take is, it's just a weird trend to people to have smaller, system updates. People (validly) expect that 'new piece of hardware = new generation', and when its not, implicitly (PS4/XBO) or explicitly (New 3DS), people are going to be ranged from confused to angry for needing new information and/or money to get an experience not far from what's already available to them.

I'd wish the investment I put into my 3DS and its games would be respected if I wanted this 'New 3DS' (read: make it cheaper), especially considering that this explicitly isn't something 'new' in respect to what's currently on the market.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Greeeeaaat, I'll just be the only one here who's flipping their shit in excitement. Yes, it's a bad-ish move, no doubt. But the 3DS has been out for awhile now... Why is this so unreasonable? It can mean much greater things for the 3DS. We can get all sorts of impressive games on there. The higher viewing angle is gonna be fantastic. That nub... Could've been bigger. But I make due without the Circle Pad Pro, so, it's nice to have a small addition in there for the times I do want it.

Relax guys... They're not summoning Satan. It's just an overall upgrade for an already great hand held. I'm not gonna sit here in fear of what it *might* mean, and look forward to what it DOES mean. Bigger and better games.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Oh what the fuck!? I just finally got around to buying a 3DS! They're making a new one already? I'm gonna have to buy it if I want to play new games? The fuck!? Ugh. Hope it's like the gameboy color in that there aren't too many unique games for it.

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
Elvis Starburst said:
Greeeeaaat, I'll just be the only one here who's flipping their shit in excitement. Yes, it's a bad-ish move, no doubt. But the 3DS has been out for awhile now... Why is this so unreasonable? It can mean much greater things for the 3DS. We can get all sorts of impressive games on there. The higher viewing angle is gonna be fantastic. That nub... Could've been bigger. But I make due without the Circle Pad Pro, so, it's nice to have a small addition in there for the times I do want it.

Relax guys... They're not summoning Satan. It's just an overall upgrade for an already great hand held. I'm not gonna sit here in fear of what it *might* mean, and look forward to what it DOES mean. Bigger and better games.
But the thing is, the 3ds HASNT been out for a while. It launched in feb/march of 2011, not even 4 years ago. If Nintendo wants to make a new gen handheld, fine, but to do it less than 4 years from their last one is not cool.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I felt this was gonna happen eventually. The 3DS as is was running out of steam processing wise. I mean fucking Pokemon was suffering framerate drops in game when more than 3 pokemon were on the screen. It personally doesn't bother me because I was planning on upgrading from my current basic 3DS to an XL anyway. But for those with XL. I hope they do get a discount of sorts.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
xaszatm said:
Kuredan said:
All that being said, I'm glad for the inclusion of a "C" button. Dual sticks have always been the future of any console, so I'm glad the DS is getting on. What is up with those colours on the buttons though? The X was all right, but a red A button, green Y and yellow B... what madness is this!!! I mean I know it's not an Xbox, but a little uniformity wouldn't hurt. It's not a copyright thing, plenty of generic game pads have the Xbox layout.
It's the colors of the Japanese Super Famicom.

[img=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/Super-Famicom-Console-Set.jpg]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/Super-Famicom-Console-Set.jpg[/img]
Same colours as the UK Super Nintendo too.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
All that space! Look at all that fucking space!
How hard is it to put a second fucking thumbstick there?
Seriously.
Would it mean you would have to sacrifice, like, the gyroscope? Oh noo.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
GZGoten said:
take a page from VITA Nintendo, even if the device is unpopular at least it's control scheme is well designed and adequately sized for human hands
I don't have large hands by any means, but my thumb can't sit well on the vitas right stick without leaning over the buttons, at rest its annoying and uncomfortable, during frantic gameplay it could easily cost me to press a button by mistake, the damn thing is too close. What shocks me more is the guy who owns who I played for a bit? BIG OLD HANDS, the kind that thought the chunky xbox controller was amazing. What the fuck is up with that eh?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So it's pretty much the same as the current one but slightly bigger and got a tiny 2nd analog stick?

Even with the technical improvement, it's ain't worth a purchase for me even if I do want a 2nd analog stick!

RetroMenace

Dec 29, 2009
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and Nintendo makes a move that is highly anti-consumer. What else is new?

It's a shame that there are so many people with rose-tinted glasses who will eagerly buy a $200 console just for one or two first party Nintendo games. Businesses should be punished for these kind of moves, but since Nintendo has such a rabid fanbase, they get rewarded for it time and time again. If Microsoft did this kind of stuff, you know everyone on the internet would be up-in-arms about it.

But, as long as Nintendo does something, they're all fine and peachy. It's irritating, to say the least.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Chimpzy said:
-Dragmire- said:
Will it be priced above the $200 mark?
Well, the Japanese Nintendo Direct put the prices for these new systems at 16,000 and 18,800 yen respectively, which at current exchange rates comes up to about ~153 and ~180 dollars.

I'm guessing either the new versions will be priced slightly higher than the current ones, but not by much OR the new versions will be priced the same as the older models while the old ones get a price drop. My bet is on the latter as that seems like the smartest move for Nintendo.
That sounds good. A significant price increase probably wouldn't go over very well, especially if people think that they can wait 6 months for a large price drop.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
wadark said:
Elvis Starburst said:

But the thing is, the 3ds HASNT been out for a while. It launched in feb/march of 2011, not even 4 years ago. If Nintendo wants to make a new gen handheld, fine, but to do it less than 4 years from their last one is not cool.
That's the thing though. This isn't new gen. The most this upgrade is doing to improve the games is CPU speed on the system. That's all they're improving in terms of how the games work. The rest are things meant to fix the original 3DS' issues. The lack of a second circle pad, the viewing angles, slow downloads, etc. That's why they put this one out. It's not new gen. It's meant to improve THIS gen

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
I'm pretty fine with this really. What I really like is the better 3D angle and the swappable covers. Now I don't have to worry about special editions coming out after I bought a different special edition color.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Well shit, I was planning on buying a 3DS next week and now I don't know what to do. 2015 is still a long way away.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Elvis Starburst said:
That's the thing though. This isn't new gen. The most this upgrade is doing to improve the games is CPU speed on the system. That's all they're improving in terms of how the games work. The rest are things meant to fix the original 3DS' issues. The lack of a second circle pad, the viewing angles, slow downloads, etc. That's why they put this one out. It's not new gen. It's meant to improve THIS gen
It's essentially the DSi; it's a slight improvement, but there's really nothing that warrants it being called an entirely new generation of handheld. The closest justifications are the new inputs, but even then it's pretty debatable. Nintendo says there'll be an exclusive or two like the Xenoblade port, but the DSi did too and that exclusives were actually pretty small in number.

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
RetroMenace said:
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and Nintendo makes a move that is highly anti-consumer. What else is new?

It's a shame that there are so many people with rose-tinted glasses who will eagerly buy a $200 console just for one or two first party Nintendo games. Businesses should be punished for these kind of moves, but since Nintendo has such a rabid fanbase, they get rewarded for it time and time again. If Microsoft did this kind of stuff, you know everyone on the internet would be up-in-arms about it.

But, as long as Nintendo does something, they're all fine and peachy. It's irritating, to say the least.
You know the OG 3DS family will still be supported, right?

SteveTR

May 4, 2012
This is kind of worrying to me. It hasn't even been a full year since I got my very own 3DS and now there's a new one? I don't really care about the bigger size and 3D angles and yadda-yadda-yadda. The only thing I care about is the games.

The reason for why I even wanted a 3DS in the first place was the games. I had a DS Lite back then, so I was a bit sad that I wouldn't get to play all those new and shiny 3DS games all the cool kids are talking about. Then I suddenly owned a 3DS and I could finally play all of them. I still haven't caught up, to be honest. And now, the cycle starts anew.

Maybe I'm being sceptical. Maybe Nintendo will keep releasing major 3DS even after the New 3DS releases. Or maybe it won't.

Also, the New 3DS? Come on. Apple's done this exact thing in the past, and people complained a lot about it. Next thing we know, the 3DS Air will be announced.

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
Elvis Starburst said:
wadark said:
Elvis Starburst said:

It's new gen insofar as at least one game is being produced specifically to work on this system and not the existing 3DSs. Should that turn out to be the only one, I will retract my complaint. However I seriously doubt that will be the case. I suppose time will ultimately tell, but for now I am looking upon this fairly skeptically and with a fear that the 3DSs I was just able to afford last Christmas for myself and my wife will be obsolete a year later. Not optimistic right now.