Nintendo's Next Console Could Incorporate 3D

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nintendo's Next Console Could Incorporate 3D

3D will first enter homes though Sony's PlayStation 3, but Nintendo could use it in the Wii's successor as well.

Nintendo's next handheld, the aptly named 3DS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101379-E3-2010-Hands-on-With-the-Nintendo-3DS], is already a venture into the world of 3D eye-popping graphics, but the Wii will still remain non-3D for now. That doesn't mean Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata isn't thinking about it for future consoles.

Speaking to Nihon Keizai Shimbun (via Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/17/iwata_on_3d_wii/]), Iwata denied any updates to the Wii that would add 3D functionality. "If you display a 3D image, the image quality becomes extremely bad, so we'd probably do it with the next system," he said. "We're thinking that the timing should be once the 3D television adoption rates crosses the 30% mark. We're looking at the adoption trends."

Iwata believes that 3D is an important evolution of gaming in general. He also said: "In 3D, it's easier to get a sense for position. In a game where the stages extend into the screen, it's surprisingly easier to control [compared to non 3D]. This is functionality for making games more pleasant to play, not just for show."

"It allows us to realize images that are close to what you see in your daily life. In the future, 3D will become the mainstream of gaming," he predicted. Does this mean the Wii 2 could combine motion gaming and 3D? That might make all of our heads explode.

Along with Sony's major focus on 3D movies and PlayStation 3 games, it looks like 3D is gaming's future even though consumers, or perhaps at least those that follow the industry regularly, have been inundated to the point where it's almost sickening yet most of us haven't even experienced a single game in 3D yet. There is a possible danger in this that can be exemplified by the release of the Nintendo DS, for which many developers (Nintendo included) shoehorned touchscreen controls into games where they weren't necessary.

This is mirrored by some of the titles developed for the Wii and the PlayStation 3 that used motion control "just because," sometimes totally marring the experience such as with the PS3's Lair. I'm all for new ways to play, but only when they improve on the past, not when they destroy what works completely fine as is. I would prefer a developer spend time on making a deeper experience, rather than better 3D graphics. I don't think I'm being an old man annoyed at passing horseless carriages here, as the 3DS alone looks quite amazing and I would pre-order one today if I could, but I just want to try this stuff out already.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/17/iwata_on_3d_wii/]

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
I can see through ps3 graphics in 3D but unless the Wii 2 or the Wii(ii) has dramatically better graphics I can't really see people splashing out on 3D for it.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Thank god this is still just future talk. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for 3D gaming (without the glasses, obviously), but there's no way in hell I can convince my dad to buy a 3D television set.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Heh.. guess they were just talking out of their rear ends with all the complaints about having to wear glasses. Nothing about once technology advances beyond the need for glasses, just about once enough people have the 3D TVs in their homes.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
"We're thinking that the timing should be once the 3D television adoption rates crosses the 30% mark. We're looking at the adoption trends."
He's going to be waiting quite some time, then. Although, the whole "not putting HD on Wii" argument at launch didn't work out too brilliantly in the eyes of some gamers, so I think he's preparing the groundwork in case he wheels out that argument again.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I won't mind as long as the update the graphics and let it be an OPITION. I like it when developers try to put in as many opitions as possible. Gives the designers and players more ways to make games/play.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Hmmm...

While it is true that people generally shoehorn unnecessary new tech into games that don't work with it... but that usually peters out after a year or so.

I reckon that, yes, there will be people trying to put 3D into games just cause they can, but eventually it will work itself out.

Who knows? Maybe today's regular 3D will become the new "retro" style for the next-gen consoles :p

"holy crap, its not in 3D! The nostalgia!"

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
I wonder if eventually the 3D tech they have in the 3DS will be workable on big screens... That would be awesome. It would certainly make 3D more attractive.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Hold on, what about the viewing angle on 3d TVs? I'd imagine it would be pretty narrow, so how could you play a Wii2 3D game with four people when half the players won't be able to view the screen properly?

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Heh.. guess they were just talking out of their rear ends with all the complaints about having to wear glasses. Nothing about once technology advances beyond the need for glasses, just about once enough people have the 3D TVs in their homes.
Sounds more like they're waiting for it to be more affordable. It's not like Nintendo makes televisions; they don't have control how that technology advances (and look at all the bitching just because their console wasn't HD...maybe they want to move with the flow faster this time).

Anyway, I'd say just refine the combination of 2D and 3D gameplay that is prevelent on the Wii's platformers, see how much they can improve on the motion+, finish bridging the gap between "hardcore" and "casual" gamers (not that Microsoft and Sony's own motion controls will make that easy), and work on getting more third party support next generation (and, now that the technology is cheaper, make it HD). Worry about 3D in the generation after next (or upgrade mid-gen)

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
-AC80- said:
may i point out a 3D tv costs more that a 1k
If the 3DS is a success is it not conceivable they would apply that tech to a TV console? That would solve the cost issue as Ninty don't sell console for more than £200.

Also, they developed the 3DS screen with Sharp, so expect to see Sharp screens using the same tech at some point.

LightOfDarkness

Mar 18, 2010
May I point out that 3D gaming is still on the horizon

OT: I wonder how the 3D in the 3DS will work, considering it's a huge step to be able to see 3D images without glasses, unless it's that annoying technique where the image shifts between two different versions of it, one that your right eye would see if it was IRL and you closed your left eye and vice versa, very very very quickly. It works well for stills but I can see how that would be annoying (or how it could be exploited) in gaming.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
I will NOT buy a gaming console that uses 3D. Not only will the price hike turn me off but this will just prove that graphics really are the only thing that matters in gaming. People already think that WITHOUT 3D. It will just get worse.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Wii can already utilize 3D under specific conditions, as shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
Though I think it's a little low to use 3d when only 30% of the population can use it, I'm going to chalk this up as further evidence that Nintendo is going to be the first company to develop Virtual Reality Gaming.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
The most important images are the ones in the eye of your mind like how you have to think about the game rules and world to play. But who cares about hippy bullshit like that.

I sort of like that 3D might make games easier to play. I've seen a fair few steps in evolution in 3d game technology over the years. Just because evolution has not really advanced as much over the past ten years or so as the twenty years before it does not mean that what we have now is anything other than a crude compromise that we have gotten used to.

It's just that buying expensive tech that gives you headaches doesn't sound like a great idea.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Please Nintendo, stop making consoles. Your handheld stuff is always great, but I haven't cared about anything on you console in years.