Nioh 2 - The Tengu's Disciple DLC Review

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I don't know if ya'll remember my Nioh 2 first impressions, but the base game made me rage. I felt then and still feel now that many of the enemy placements are just there to screw the player over for no reason other than to make the player die. Since then, i have grinded my way through every mission in the base game both on normal and NG+ difficulties. And i will say that Nioh 2 is one of the best games of the year hands down.

However I think Nioh 2 suffers from a pretty bad walling of for new players. There is too much to Nioh 2's combat that is locked off behind luck and progression and I feel like it really does a disservice to new players. Because once you unlock combos for your favorite weapons, and get a decent pile of gear the difficulty of the game can dip dramatically. Nioh 2 ends up having a problem of being too hard, or boarder line too easy.

Which brings me to the DLC.

The Tengu's Disciple is the first DLC for Nioh which unlocks a new chapter to the story as well as provides a wealth of content to players who've at least beaten the base game once. With the DLC you get 10 brand new missions, two of which are main story missions, a brand new weapon, a level cap increase, and another level of NG+ difficulty. It's really lot of content when written down, but it is hard to not be disappointed by the DLC which only includes two main missions. To anyone ready to go straight into the DLC you'll find yourself beating it very quickly, as the two main missions contain only 3 total bosses, one of which is an updated rehash of a Nioh 1 boss. Another Nioh 1 boss appears for the first time in a side mission as well and I think it's this reused content that makes the DLC feel underwhelming for me.

The introduce a new enemy type, as well as a new variance on an existing enemy, but nothing that acts as a stand out. And I think that part of the problem is how over geared and prepped I was for the DLC content. I spent no more than 15 minutes on each boss, one of which I defeated on the first attempt. All in all I was 100% completed in the DLC in 4 hours. Which for $10 bucks I guess is fine.

But then I remember, there is a whole new weapon, a new difficulty setting, with new levels of gear, on top of a brand new system called Scrolls. When I remember all that, $10 seems like a great deal. Hell I got the DLC even cheaper because I have the collector's edition which came with the season pass. For $75 I got the base game, and all DLC's, which is a really good deal.

Scrolls are a neat new feature for Nioh 2. The way scrolls work is begining on NG+ enemies can drop these corrupted scrolls. These scrolls are entirely new little gauntlet missions you can do. Clearing the mission will cleanse the scroll and make it a new piece of equipment. Basically these scrolls become a 3rd accessory slot, and the bonuses they can offer can get pretty nice......but they can also be really fucking hard. They are fun though and I hope future DLC's can expand what they offer.

So yeah, the DLC is good, the totally new content is a bit short, but with all the extra stuff the DLC adds I think it's a good buy if you need some more Nioh 2 stuff to do.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I couldn't get into the first NIOH game and I highly doubt I'm going to get into this one. Plus,I'm already working on one samurai game right now. And samurai shodown too of course. Thanks for the details though.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I couldn't get into the first NIOH game and I highly doubt I'm going to get into this one. Plus,I'm already working on one samurai game right now. And samurai shodown too of course. Thanks for the details though.
That's kind of a shame because Nioh has some crazy deep combat and I think you would love the shit out of the game. But if you couldn't put up with the first nioh you wont like Nioh 2 because it is exactly the same.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's kind of a shame because Nioh has some crazy deep combat and I think you would love the shit out of the game. But if you couldn't put up with the first nioh you wont like Nioh 2 because it is exactly the same.
Part of the other reason why I'm not getting the sequel. I already know it was more of the same, so it's a mission pack sequel. I'm just not into dark Souls styles a games either. I know these games are cross between Ninja Gaiden, Dark Souls, and Onimusha. If Capcom even bothers to make a new onimusha or team ninja bothers make another Ninja Gaiden, I will play those.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Love Nioh. Haven't played the Nioh 2 DLC yet but can't wait to try out the split staff. The combat in Nioh is simply god-tier. There are a lot of incremental improvements in Nioh 2 that really add up and make the game even better than it's predecessor. There are so many different combinations of weapons and movesets it's insane.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
How on earth did I not notice this come out!?

Loved Nioh & Nioh 2, and had a great time in the Nioh 1 DLCs. Nioh 2 is one of my highlights of this year as well.