No Aliens vs. Predator for Germany

Sulu

Jul 7, 2009
I wouldn't have thought Germany would find the game that interesting considering it is yet another game centred around the 'worlds best 1337 US marine corps'.

Feb 13, 2008
Skeleon said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Malygris said:
Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle
I do love the German's propensity for making the mildest of things sound like WMDs.
It means "Entertainment Software Self-Control".
Oh, I know enough German to decipher it, it's just that the German pronunciation uses so many hard sounds, long words and split imperatives that many words seem to obtain sinister connotations. Similarly with Russian and Gujarati.

Even the UK Governmental group DEFRA sounds a lot more sinister than it actually is. (the Farming Ministry basically)

French, however, does the reverse - when even strong slurs sound romantic.

Which Scout sounds scarier?

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
Skeleon said:
Meh. I prefer playing the English versions anyway.

Exactly (though I usually get them from the UK, not the US, as that's nearer, cheaper and takes less time).
Well at the moment the Dollar is rather weak, so even with Airmail you might get it cheaper then ordering it from the UK and yeah most of the time the German translations are horrible, most of the time because of sub par voice actors and wooden translations.

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
Kudos to Sega.

If the country is going to categorically deny any mature content game from receiving a rating and be released without jumping through an obscene number of hoops, just refuse to deal with them any more.
I wholeheartedly agree with their decision until their ratings board grow up.

Besides, I'm sure the more sensible people living there will find other ways to obtain said games with this new "internet" thing catching on.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
aBlackKnight said:
Well at the moment the Dollar is rather weak, so even with Airmail you might get it cheaper then ordering it from the UK...
Maybe. But it'd still take 3-4 weeks instead of 1.

Feb 13, 2008
Skeleon said:
Which Scout sounds scarier?
To me? The French guy.
Seriously? Ok...that's a twist. Have you heard the Spanish Scout? He sounds like he's already on "Bonk!".

What would you say are the "aggressive"/"passive" languages from a German PoV?
(Seriously interested as I love languages)

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
Finnish.
Skeleon said:
Maybe. But it'd still take 3-4 weeks instead of 1.
Austrian web shops then :p

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
JWAN said:
I smell a turd anyway. shit movie+shit previous games = future shit(s)
on the contrary, this looks set to be fantastic, and In my opinion the previous games were also good. I'll concur on the movies however.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Have you heard the Spanish Scout?
No, I hadn't, but I just searched on it for YouTube.
Sounds very melodic.

I'm not sure.
Russian, maybe but just when spoken stereotypically (I went to Russia as part of a school exchange and the people there, too, speak very fluently and melodically).
Apart from French I can't really think of any (and that might have to do with my personal dislike of the language - not the people, mind).

Swedish, Dutch and the like sound similar to German to me. Would you consider them "aggressive" as well?

Bad sound quality, unfortunately.

Skarvig

Jul 13, 2009
I guess Sega is going to be suprised how often this game is going to be pirated.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Skarvig said:
Turkish. It's a language you hear quite often here.
Oh, right, totally forgot about that.
Yeah, especially when screamed by 14 year old angry youths of either gender.

But, again, that's mostly the stereotypical pronounciation.
I've heard young Turkish women speak quite melodically as well.

lostbuthappy

Sep 30, 2009
Okay Sega, now I'm going to pirate this game just for the lulz!
By the way, if you want to make money in Germany, just don't translate it. I don't know why but our voice actors are all shit. Seriously. I know, you Japanese guys don't give a flying turd, but believe me, they do suck, so just give me the English version and I don't have to pir... import it :)

About passive-aggressive languages:
I figure the further you travel east through Europe, the harder sounding the languages become (except Spanish, it's just awesome :~). A French mass murderer threatening to kill me sounds like a love letter to your mum, while a russian waiter offering me the house wine makes me believe he's going to kick my head in so hard that it's coming out of my ass. As a German, my mother tounge neither sounds hard nor soft to me, it's simply the language I grew up with.

MontyGommo

Oct 21, 2008
Honestly, I don't think the German one sounds scary at all here.

I often wonder if people think it's a 'scary' language because of the preconceptions we have from most movies/games?

I do think the spelling of most German words is terrifying though!

Feb 13, 2008
Skeleon said:
Swedish, Dutch and the like sound similar to German to me. Would you consider them "aggressive" as well?

Bad sound quality, unfortunately.
Swedish and Dutch, to my ear, just have that hint of melody. Verr the linguij iz veree relacst. (phonetically, if I'm managing it)
German has a very similar pattern but the emphasis is usually on the first syllable which tends to inflect strength. French tends to leave emphasis out altogether, American English tends to have it at the end of words and English (as usual) just dots it around depending on where the word came from.

It's possibly because the guy in the video is speaking the words instead of acting them, but what would you rather have on your back?

Rocket Launcher - Bazooka - Panzerfaust - Lance-roquette - Raketgevär - Lanzacohetes?

The English bazooka does have that onomatapeic touch, but Panzerfaust (or Raketenwerfer) still sounds that little bit more damaging, in my opinion anyway.

And to drag back to the OP, I'm always surprised how Germany has such a hard line on gore but not as much on violence.

(EDit: And I really want to see "Meet The Medic" now Valve. After "Meet the Pyro" anyway.)

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
Can't they just import it from the numerous other countries surrounding them that do have the game? (assuming they speak a language other than german)