No Aliens vs. Predator for Germany

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No Aliens vs. Predator for Germany

Sorry, Germany, but Sega has apparently decided to save itself some hassle by just not bothering to release Aliens vs. Predator [http://www.sega.com/games/?g=6058] in your country when it comes out next year.

Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle [http://www.sega.com] (USK), the German videogame rating agency. The publisher doesn't want to disrupt the "coherence" with the Alien and Predator brands by modifying the content to fit USK restrictions, so rather than going to the expense of having the game translated and localized for Germany it has decided not to release it in the country at all.

German site PC Games Hardware [http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,699126/Aliens-vs-Predator-Too-gory-for-Germany/News/] says the move is "unexpected but not surprising" given the level of violence expected in the game and the fact that a USK rejection would almost certainly mean Sega would lose money on a German release. Sega will presumably still submit the game for consideration in Australia, another country notorious for refusing to classify violent videogames, because a translated version won't be necessary.

At this point, PC Games Hardware is the only site reporting on this announcement; we've dropped a line to Sega Europe for official confirmation and will update once we have it.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Germany and Australia: the axis of gaming! XD

Sorry about the news my german compatriots! But seeing a good deal of you speak english and have the internet, just get yourself a US copy :p

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Meh. I prefer playing the English versions anyway.
And all those little kiddies that are supposed to be protected by this'll get it from the internet regardless.

DTWolfwood said:
But seeing a good deal of you speak english and have the internet, just get yourself a US copy :p
Exactly (though I usually get them from the UK, not the US, as that's nearer, cheaper and takes less time).

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
It'd be more of a hassle in Austrailia. Austrailia makes Germany look like to most easy going gaming country ever.

TyrantGanado

Oct 21, 2009
I get the impression that the German government tries to brush the existence of violence under the carpet. Australia seems more uppity about it but acknowledges it, Germany just gives me the impression it's going "Vat violence? Ve know no violence."

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Malygris said:
Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle
I do love the German's propensity for making the mildest of things sound like WMDs.
It means "Entertainment Software Self-Control".

TyrantGanado said:
I get the impression that the German government tries to brush the existence of violence under the carpet. Australia seems more uppity about it but acknowledges it, Germany just gives me the impression it's going "Vat violence? Ve know no violence."
On the contrary. They're so very aware of violence that anything even tinged with it must immediately be controlled. Their paranoia is very sad.
Their small-mindedness ("videogames brutal, teenagers brutal, teenagers play videogames, so videogames reason") and laziness ("What social issues? Lack of perspectives for the future? Fear of underachievement? What are you talking about? There must be a simpler solution to adress these issues than actually doing something!") even more.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
I smell a turd anyway. shit movie+shit previous games = future shit(s)

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
I guess that means there's probably no release for Australia either.
Poor australian and German gamers.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
JWAN said:
I smell a turd anyway. shit movie+shit previous games = future shit(s)
I really liked Aliens versus Predator 2, I wouldn't call it a "shit previous game".
Or were there any other AvP games I'm not aware of that you are refering to as crappy?

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
It's sad for most German gamers, obviously some like Skeleon will try to get imports, but the majority of gamers will lose out. However, Sega's decision to try and get an Australian classification is a bit of a silver lining, since if it fails there then it'll most likely fail in Germany too which makes this decision a good one. However, if it does somehow, against the odds, get classified successfully in Australia, then it's a safe bet that Germany will accept it too, in which case everybody wins. Except for the likes of Thompson and Vaz and their German counterparts, and who really gives a flying fuck about them?

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Can't be too bad. Considering that Germany seems to ban quite a lot of games, I'm guessing German gamers have become all too comfortable with the idea of importing.