No convictions for ex-officers accused of beating colleague at St. Louis protest

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
No convictions were returned for three white St. Louis police officers accused of beating a Black undercover colleague so severely during a protest over another officer’s acquittal that he had to undergo multiple surgeries.

A jury on Monday acquitted Officer Steven Korte of charges of deprivation of rights under color of law and of lying to the FBI in connection to the attack on Officer Luther Hall. It happened when Hall was mistaken for a protester during demonstrations that erupted after former police officer Jason Stockley, who is white, was found not guilty in the 2011 death of a Anthony Lamar Smith, who was Black.

Hall, who is still with the department, described the 2017 attack to jurors as a “free-for-all.”

Former officer Christopher Myers also was acquitted Monday of a deprivation of rights count, but the jury could not reach a verdict on a charge of destruction of evidence against Myers for allegedly smashing Hall’s cellphone. The jury also deadlocked on the deprivation of rights charge against former officer Dustin Boone, leading the judge to declare a mistrial on counts where the jury could not agree.

Defense lawyers said that police department chaos and dysfunction meant that officers and supervisors on the street didn’t know undercover officers were working that night. Defense lawyers also challenged Hall’s ability to identify his attackers.

The verdicts reignited criticisms that an all-white jury was picked to decide the case.

“If an undercover cop can’t get justice, how will the rest of us who have been maced, shot, beaten, and brutalized ever get justice?” tweeted Cori Bush, a Black congresswoman who represents the Missouri district that includes St. Louis.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The line about " Defense lawyers said that police department chaos and dysfunction meant that officers and supervisors on the street didn’t know undercover officers were working that night. " I find baffling. So what? Does that mean they used such force because they thought everyone was just a civilian? Why the fuck should knowing an undercover cop is out there, change policy on how you engage with violent force against civilians? If anything that colors it even worse, like "oh shit, we got some buddies out there, better put away the brass knuckles and clubs with nails, and just use the safer equipment so it doesn't look like we're abusive!" That doesn't paint them in a better fucking light!

Edit: Also, why is this in Movies/TV? Shouldn't this be Current Events?

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
The line about " Defense lawyers said that police department chaos and dysfunction meant that officers and supervisors on the street didn’t know undercover officers were working that night. " I find baffling. So what? Does that mean they used such force because they thought everyone was just a civilian? Why the fuck should knowing an undercover cop is out there, change policy on how you engage with violent force against civilians? If anything that colors it even worse, like "oh shit, we got some buddies out there, better put away the brass knuckles and clubs with nails, and just use the safer equipment so it doesn't look like we're abusive!" That doesn't paint them in a better fucking light!

Edit: Also, why is this in Movies/TV? Shouldn't this be Current Events?
Crap. I made a mistake. Can I move it?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Crap. I made a mistake. Can I move it?
Report your own post and ask to move it to current event. Or since you've already made a duplicate thread over there, ask to merge the two.