No Doubt Gains Ground in its Lawsuit Against Activision

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
No Doubt Gains Ground in its Lawsuit Against Activision

No Doubt has won one of the battles in its ongoing war with Activision over use of the band's likeness in Band Hero.

No Doubt originally filed its lawsuit against Activision in November of 2009, when their likeness appeared in Band Hero far more often than the original contract stated. Instead of appearing in only three No Doubt songs, the members of the band could be unlocked and used as avatars for any of game's 62 songs, turning the band into what they deemed a "virtual karoake circus act."

Activision countered No Doubt's bold move by filing its own lawsuit against No Doubt, claiming that the band hadn't promoted the game like they agreed to and that the band simply didn't understand how avatars were used in the Hero series. It seemed as if both parties were at a bullheaded standstill, but this week, No Doubt declared victory in one battle of this war.

On March 15th, a Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge rejected Activision's attempts to revoke the lawsuit by invoking the 1st amendment, stating that freedom-of-speech should protect its rights to use the band as avatars. The court also rejected Activision's attempt to shift the matter to a federal court, in a claim that the lawsuit was a copyright issue and not a right-of-publicity issue. Of course, the publisher can move to appeal these rulings, and according to an Activision spokesperson, it plans to.

Source: Edge [http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/04/no-doubt-wins-round-in-activision-lawsuit.html]

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
Are No Doubt even performing anymore? Seriously no one cares about their stupid ego, except them no doubt.

[small/] See what I did there [/small]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Why would you put all the effort of creating and animation those character models, just to use them for a few songs? Hell, I even say this about Kurt Cobain in GH. And I'm a Nirvana fan. Let me use him for Bon Jovi.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but...GO ACTIVISION!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Just one of thoe things...I see no reason wy they are protesting. Its stupidity on stupidity

Droroet

Jul 20, 2009
That said:
Are No Doubt even performing anymore? Seriously no one cares about their stupid ego, except them no doubt.

That's Funny.

See what I did there?

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
That said:

If their rights are begin infringed, then they are begin infringed.

It doesn't matter if they don't play anymore.
Ok I'll get off their back and retire to my cave.

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
Droroet said:
That said:

That's Funny.

See what I did there?
I'm confused what did you do?

EDIT: Ah now I see what you did, I must be really slow today.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Why would you put all the effort of creating and animation those character models, just to use them for a few songs? Hell, I even say this about Kurt Cobain in GH. And I'm a Nirvana fan. Let me use him for Bon Jovi.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but...GO ACTIVISION!
You probably right, but its about time someone kicks activision ass and make them taste their own poison.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Well, it isn't as bad as Kurt Cobain singing barbie girl. That was the shit he killed himself to stop.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Activison; worse than EA and Microsoft combined. Next they'll want to have anyone badmouthing their games beheaded, steal your lunch money and give your grandma a chinese burn.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
I swear every second article on this site is someone suing someone else. Why did games have to become the target of Western corporate leechers?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
For fucks sakes, its no wonder Activision is taking the shit.

Anytime someone sues them, they sue right back on ridiculous grounds that make even less sense than the original lawsuit.

So, because a band doesn't want their likeness used without permission, Activision sues them?!

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I don't like Activision, but No Doubt should give it a rest. They clearly don't understand what the game is about. And it's not like Activision made any extra profit for making them appear in the game too much.