No Doubt Gains Ground in its Lawsuit Against Activision

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
What in the hell is Activision thinking...

Seriously, do they think that counter-suing is going to achieve anything.

Their current scapegoat seems to be "X DIDN'T DO Y SO MARKETTING WAS MORE DIFFICULT FOR US AND THEY AGREED TO DO IT"

They did it in the COD lawsuit, in this lawsuit and I bet in the 30 other lawsuits they'll be involved in since their attitude, even for a corporation is fucking disgusting.

(awaiting letter from Activision to sue me for slander and not marketting Y properly.)

Tidenburg

Oct 21, 2008
Good. Activision can consider this payback for utterly ruining the guitar hero franchise, making band hero to milk it without even changing anything substantial and for not realising that they should give in to Harmonix, who clearly own the better franchise.

baseracer

Jul 31, 2009
No Doubt are a bunch of sellouts.

They should be happy that they're in the game in the first place.

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
I guess Activision isn't feeling "hella good"

I don't pretend to be a music snob but No Doubt could probably do with a little extra publicity even if they didn't plan on it. If they become any more irrelevant they'll end up playing at the Super Bowl halftime show.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
No doubt: "Wah! We're popular! *cry* Screw you, Activision!"

Activision: "Well counter screw you for being stupid and popular! And stupid again!"

I liked some No Doubt, but talk about image focused. Maybe I want to pretend I'm no doubt covering Rage Against the Machine! Meh.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
baseracer said:
No Doubt are a bunch of sellouts.

They should be happy that they're in the game in the first place.
No Doubt are fucking awesome, Move On is a great song.

OT: I hope they win, I really, really hope they win.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
That said:
Are No Doubt even performing anymore? Seriously no one cares about their stupid ego, except them no doubt.

[small/] See what I did there [/small]
They went on tour last summer.......

I think that qualifies as "still performing".

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
They breached the contract so Activision should SUCK it up and TAKE it. Filling in lawsuits for everything is just hurting your image as a Corperate Business.

I don't know No Doubt and don't care, but I'd love anything that's punishing for Activision.
Its No Doubt that filed the lawsuit. Because they didn't realise they signed a contract that meant people could use avatars that looked like them to play more than three songs.

I actually think activisions in the right here. But hey, I could care more about this.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
SonicKoala said:
That said:
Are No Doubt even performing anymore? Seriously no one cares about their stupid ego, except them no doubt.

I guess the real question is, "Are, or were they ever, even relevant anymore?"

Really though, I think any artist agreeing to have their likeness in a GH or RB type game should know they're going to end up playing something stupid. They've already sold out by appearing in the game, so why suddenly develop principles? It's like signing a contract agreeing to prostitution and then balking when someone wants sex. Makes no sense.

HaloHappy

Sep 7, 2008
Go No Doubt! I don't know who they are, but I do enjoy seeing Activision lose a lawsuit. Though, counter-suing seems like a stupid thing to do. I'm tempted to steal a dollar from them to see how big the man-hunt will be just to capture me. Anyone else?

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Nigh Invulnerable said:
SonicKoala said:
That said:

Really though, I think any artist agreeing to have their likeness in a GH or RB type game should know they're going to end up playing something stupid. They've already sold out by appearing in the game, so why suddenly develop principles? It's like signing a contract agreeing to prostitution and then balking when someone wants sex. Makes no sense.
Their relevance in popular music is almost non-existant, no doubt about that (har har.....). However, as far as I'm concerned, No Doubt made some of the best pop music of their time, and I'm always pleased when one of No Doubt's many infectious tunes comes on my iPod.

It really just seems that No Doubt's gripe with Activision seems to be a profound, and rather naive, understanding of how avatars work in Guitar Hero - I really don't think suing Activision is the answer, and it just seems to be a frivolous waste of the court's time. I respect No Doubt for their music, but they're just coming off as both whiney and greedy in this case.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Is this something you'd really want to sue over?
"Someone likes us enough to actually use us as avatars in a game? CAN'T HAVE THAT!"
People makes me sad sometimes.

I bet there was 'irreparable damage on their intellectual property'.
There usually is.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Actually this a possible win for Activision, by ruling it wasn't a right-of-publicity issue, it means they have to go to the contract, and in the contract Activision has the rights to use No Doubt/Nirvana's Kurt Cobain to be usable avatars. Not understanding the contract is not an excuse most of the time in court, they would have to prove that the language was very vague, which I don't see happening, then again, I haven't seen the contracts. If I was the band, I would try for the settlement, which usually happens in these types of cases.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
SonicKoala said:
Nigh Invulnerable said:
SonicKoala said:
That said:

Their relevance in popular music is almost non-existant, no doubt about that (har har.....). However, as far as I'm concerned, No Doubt made some of the best pop music of their time, and I'm always pleased when one of No Doubt's many infectious tunes comes on my iPod.

It really just seems that No Doubt's gripe with Activision seems to be a profound, and rather naive, understanding of how avatars work in Guitar Hero - I really don't think suing Activision is the answer, and it just seems to be a frivolous waste of the court's time. I respect No Doubt for their music, but they're just coming off as both whiney and greedy in this case.
I know that I really enjoyed "Tragic Kingdom" back in the day, but nothing since then by those guys. They're definitely not relevant anymore though.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Man, Activision seems to enjoy the counter-suit model, even if they don't have much.

Mr. Ak-Ti Vih-Jon, I am suing you for unlawfully entering my house and trying to steal my TV.
COUNTAH-SUIT! Your floor was not dusted. I got filth on my nice shoes!

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
So actually, No Doubt are suing us gamers that chose to use them as avatars for the songs. Perhaps they will come onto forums and start threatening legal action. It is no different than their own fansite that provides images of the band which fans use whichever way they want. No doubt that No Doubt's lawyers were the ones really responsible for this suit. I really can't see how any band could get upset about this.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
While I love No Doubt and despise Activision. In the interest of fairness, I think Activision should win simply because I think they have a better case. However I know where No Doubt is coming from, you don't want your image being plastered just anywhere. Just because you famous doesn't mean you can have your likeness exploited.

So without condoning or condemning, I understand.