No Doubt Gains Ground in its Lawsuit Against Activision

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
I love Gwen and I hope no doubt wins against crappy activison after the crap that they've been doing lately. How could you lose key members of Infinity ward?

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
Tdc2182 said:
Well, it isn't as bad as Kurt Cobain singing barbie girl. That was the shit he killed himself to stop.
A fine example of the futility of suicide.

What kind of douche kills himself and leaves his family, friends, and fans morning b/c he didn't want to be a part of the corporate music industry that allowed his shitty music to become famous. I think next week they should put his likeness in a dress and sell tampons...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Actually I don't know how much "No Doubt" is worth even if they don't perform anymore. Plus Gwen Stefani herself DOES still perform as far as I can tell. I'd also suspect most members of the group probably still play with various other groups, even if they aren't "A" list anymore. A career floating around on cruise ships with some "former A listers" band or whatever is still a career.

That said, I don't see where they have a leg to stand on here, since it seems to me that they didn't understand what the Avatars were for in the game.

Not to mention the fact that I believe "parody" was defended as an art form when Wierd Al was brought to court a couple of times for using people's images and the general sound/rhythym/beat of their music. Meaning that someone can't sue when someone parodies or satirizes them even without paying them royalties, even if it could be considered "defamation of character". This is also how various celebrity impersonators in general get away with what they do (like that dude who does "Frank TV" or whatever it's called).

As a result I would think most of what "No Doubt" is complaining about (them performing other songs, which might make them look ridiculous) would be totally legal without paying them. The more ridiculous it is, the more protected it would be. The big question being about their avatars performing their own songs "straight" and they themselves say they agreed to that.

Such are my thoughts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge Activision fan, but I do agree with them here. Just as I ironically backed "White Wolf" (despite not caring for them) against the "Underworld" movies (even if they lost, however understand I did this because of a specific story they published, NOT because of the similarities of the monsters and "lore").

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
That said:
Are No Doubt even performing anymore? Seriously no one cares about their stupid ego, except them no doubt.

[small/] See what I did there [/small]
Don't speak.

I know just what you're saying, so please stop explaining.

Don't tell me 'cos it hurts.

OT - Bleh, it's Activision. when they start even trying to look good, I might support them, until then... GO NO DOUBT!

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
You think Activision would get bored of sueing and counter sueing everyone who looks at them funny. They rarely even win thier counter sues.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Honestly, I don't really like either of them. I hope they both sue each other bankrupt.

Droroet said:
That said:
Are No Doubt even performing anymore? Seriously no one cares about their stupid ego, except them no doubt.

[small/] See what I did there [/small]
That's Funny.

See what I did there?
Sparrow!

Did you see what I... no, wait...

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Brockyman said:
Tdc2182 said:
Well, it isn't as bad as Kurt Cobain singing barbie girl. That was the shit he killed himself to stop.
A fine example of the futility of suicide.

What kind of douche kills himself and leaves his family, friends, and fans morning b/c he didn't want to be a part of the corporate music industry that allowed his shitty music to become famous. I think next week they should put his likeness in a dress and sell tampons...
I was never a great fan of him, but he did it because he didnt want to have to live through it.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I'm rooting for Activision. No Doubt are being stupid, there lawsuits are as ridiculous as Activisions. Therefore, the first one to sue is the dick in this clash. Therefore, No Doubt are being dicks. So go Activision.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
unfortunately, this is ridiculous, and I think Activision should win against those losers

however, being losers themselves, Activision may just be having "karma" coming around to bite them back haha

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
A wild MEGACORPORATION has appeared!

You use LAWSUIT!

It's not very effective!

MEGACORPORATION uses COUNTER-LAWSUIT!

It's not very effective!

You use FIRST AMENDMENT!

IT'S SUPER-EFFECTIVE!

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I can't help but feel a simple 'sorry No Doubt, seems we both misunderstood the terms of the agreement and we promise in future to make contracts clearer and explain fully to any future artists what we intend to do with both their music and their looks, and we'll put one of your tracks in the next game without avatars and pay you a bonus fee' would have done about 50 times more good than the 400 lawyers currently earning a new sports car from this crap.

Why oh why can people not occasionally choose to settle things like gentlemen over a table with sensible discussion, instead of feeding those ambulance chasers.

(I know some lawyers convict rapists and help bust corrupt cops and officials and all that, but I very much doubt that there's much overlap in the venn diagram showing 'hero lawyers' and 'celebrity lawsuit and flippant injury claim lawyers' is all.)

Still just being creative doesn't always make you right, and being a corporation doesn't always make you wrong, but I still say this could have been dealt with for $10 over two coffees and a muffin, instead of the hundreds of thousands it's costing in legal fees.