No Dual Audio For Western Release of Fire Emblem Fates

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
No Dual Audio For Western Release of Fire Emblem Fates

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1273/1273117.jpg
The western release of Fire Emblem Fates won't have the option to use Japanese voices like Fire Emblem Awakening.

Another week, another thing cut from the western release of controversial [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/fire%20emblem%20fates?os=%20fire%20emblem%20fates], but rather, the ability to switch between English and Japanese voices for the game's characters.

Nintendo confirmed to Fire Emblem Awakening [http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/5/10925232/fire-emblem-fates-japanese-language-dual-audio-western-release]. In Awakening, the Extras menu available on the title screen included an additional voice language option.

The reason Japanese voices worked in Fire Emblem were because all of the game's text is displayed as subtitles. It was a nice way for fans of Japanese to listen to the game's original voice actors - much in the same way that many anime fans prefer to watch anime in Japanese with subtitles, rather than dubbed into English.

Nintendo declined to comment any further on the reasoning for the removal, and did not say if the feature would be added back into the game as DLC at any point during the game's release. It did confirm that all three versions of Fates: Birthright, Conquest and Revelation would lack the feature.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/5/10925232/fire-emblem-fates-japanese-language-dual-audio-western-release]

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Wait a second, are you telling me Awakening had a Japanese voice option? I honestly just might pick it up again, cause every thing becomes better with over the top Japanese voice acting!

Too bad about this anyway.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Okay I'm excited for this game, but every announcement is just telling us what WON'T be in the game... getting a battlefront vibe.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
By the time the game releases, those in the Western markets that pick it up will open the box to find naught but a crudely drawn image of a middle finger. :p

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
I'm rather glad I'm not interested in this game; it must be rather demoralizing to hear feature after feature stripped from the game.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
What, are those dirty, smelly, tissue yelling, chocolate counting SJW's triggered by japanese voice acting too? Harassing the anime club at your liberal arts college getting too boring?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013

First they took away our waifus, then they took away our subs, where will this madness end?
RaikuFA said:
Harassing the anime club at your liberal arts college getting too boring?
Funny thing is at my collage (which is really just first year university in its own school. Quebec is odd like that) the anime club is actually split between SJWs and anti-SJWs, as is our video game society. We don't have anyone really get offended by things (somehow) but I have learned that the comedy clich? of someone walking in to hear a line that out of context sounds terrible has some basis in reality.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Out of all the changes that they've made this is probably the most infuriating. At least until I remember that Japanese games are never subbed... at least I can play Pokemon without the egregious language-censoring!

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I already was not enthused about this game but this is the death knell of it for me. Damn nintedo and their region locking, censorious kiddie ways.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
So they're doing something which has been done in roughly 99% of all localizations ever done. Why does it not surprise me that people are complaining about this anyway? And of course that's before we get into how this was probably done due to music rights, what with the song "Lost in Thoughts All Alone" being the debut single for Azura's Japanese singing voice. Guess what, songs get cut all the time in game localization when they're like that. It also doesn't help that the character Hayato's Japanese VA is also a singer, meaning even more shenanigans that I don't blame Nintendo for not wanting to deal with. Plus considering how Awakening had a great cast and Fates is looking to follow suit (including have LIQUID SNAKE AS CORRIN) it's a minor loss at best.

Sep 13, 2009
Since the market apparently only makes localization changes to bend to the whims of the SJW crowd, I'm guessing I should start being against subtitles now?

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Huh, the first cut of substance.
But I suppose it's a middle-finger to sub-only audiences, or as I call them "Sub-humans", so it's not like anything valuable was lost.

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
One of the things I really enjoyed about Awakening was being able to switch to whichever of the two languages I was in the mood for. I made a point of saving before every conversation and cut scene so I could listen to both versions. It was a simple pleasure, and I'm sad that the next games won't have it.

It's not a deal breaker or anything, but I'm certainly curious as to what the reason is. If they're worried about space on the game cards, I for one would be willing to download the extra audio.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Quantum Glass said:
One of the things I really enjoyed about Awakening was being able to switch to whichever of the two languages I was in the mood for. I made a point of saving before every conversation and cut scene so I could listen to both versions. It was a simple pleasure, and I'm sad that the next games won't have it.

It's not a deal breaker or anything, but I'm certainly curious as to what the reason is. If they're worried about space on the game cards, I for one would be willing to download the extra audio.
Music rights most likely due to the song "Lost in Thoughts All Alone." Typically songs sold as singles get cut in videogame localization. They can get away with an English version of it in the game, but the Japanese version is a no-go.

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
Yeah, I'm thinking there's a licensing issue of some nature involved with the Japanese audio this time around. This could range from what Aiddon mentioned to a particular japanese VA having some sort of contractual stipulation that prevents Nintendo from publishing that audio without jumping through hoops that Nintendo doesn't really have to jump through thanks to having a new English voice track.

praisegrima

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
I know this is a completely unfair opinion to hold, but please *please* keep cutting stuff from the Western release Nintendo! I want to see the comments!

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
Why? Of all the cut content, this makes the least amount of sense. You could argue the other two were controversial, but this is actually really ridiculous, regardless of if you prefer dubs or subs.