No Dubstep in gaming

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
TomLikesGuitar said:
Not worth addressing, but House is minimalistic by nature. It is signature of the genre.
I guess that depends on your interpretation of the word "minimalistic". I'd agree it's somewhat true for the Detroit side of house...but it's definitely not a "signature of the genre" as applied to house music in general.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
MeXR said:
Skrillex is not fucking Dubstep, stop calling it that.
for all the praise the dance community gets for following PLUR (Peace Love Unity Respect) They sure lose a lot of respect for any Producer/DJ who becomes extremely popular (see also: Deadmau5, Tiesto, Benassi)

this comment isn't refering to dubstep in general but the hatred some people seem to harbor against skrillex.

OT: Dubstep should be allowed in games if it suits the style/tone of the game. Would you say Rap shouldn't be allowed in video games? or how about classical music?

also I like dubstep, but if you're going to a club where the DJ spins nothing but dubstep he's doing it wrong.

Elemental

Apr 4, 2009
Limecake said:
MeXR said:
for all the praise the dance community gets for following PLUR (Peace Love Unity Respect) They sure lose a lot of respect for any Producer/DJ who becomes extremely popular (see also: Deadmau5, Tiesto, Benassi)

this comment isn't refering to dubstep in general but the hatred some people seem to harbor against skrillex.

OT: Dubstep should be allowed in games if it suits the style/tone of the game. Would you say Rap shouldn't be allowed in video games? or how about classical music?

also I like dubstep, but if you're going to a club where the DJ spins nothing but dubstep he's doing it wrong.
I actually like Deadmau5 and Benassi, I have'nt heard nothing from Tiesto... Don't know why.
The reason I don't like Skrillex is because it's more Electro than Dubstep. Other than that, all of his songs sounds EXACTLY the same.
Call it whatever... It's not to my taste and it does'nt sounds like any Dubstep I've heard before.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Fappy said:
I love how man of the same people who claimed they never liked techno LOVE dubstep. Debstep is just bad techno.
Okay, lets get one thing straight...

Dubstep has nothing at all to do with Techno. Not even a smudge.

Dubstep is a fusion genre of UK Garage, and Dub. UK Garage itself is a very British take on House, which was popular in the late 90's, early noughties. If you listen to a few UK Garage songs, you can easily tell that this is where Dubstep came from.

Case in Point.

This song has Dubstep like parts to it, keep in mind this song came out in the late 90's.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Jazoni89 said:
Fappy said:
I love how man of the same people who claimed they never liked techno LOVE dubstep. Debstep is just bad techno.

Dubstep is a fusion genre of UK Garage, and Dub. UK Garage itself is a very British take on House, which was popular in the late 90's, early noughties. If you listen to a few UK Garage songs, you can easily tell that this is where Dubstep came from.
While I wasn't aware of the roots of Dubstep I compare it to techo because of its current use in popular music. For example: its use in the new Korn album (which all my friends like for some reason) is very similar to the use of techno in some Rob Zombie songs (mostly the techno remixes). They don't sound the same but they are both utilized in similar fashions. I'm not a huge music guy though so take that observation for what its worth.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Fappy said:
Jazoni89 said:
Fappy said:

While I wasn't aware of the roots of Dubstep I compare it to techo because of its current use in popular music. For example: its use in the new Korn album (which all my friends like for some reason) is very similar to the use of techno in some Rob Zombie songs (mostly the techno remixes). They don't sound the same but they are both utilized in similar fashions. I'm not a huge music guy though so take that observation for what its worth.
Actually it was House that created most of the electronic genres today. Techno is one of them, so is Trance.

My advice, I recommend listening to the originators of the genre before writing a whole genre off. There always is at least something for everyone to like in a single genre, and you will become more open minded to music, and you have more of an appreciation for music like myself, as I like nearly all kinds (except for maybe classical, or R&B, but even then I could find myself at least one song I like from those genres.)

Elemental

Apr 4, 2009
Somonah said:
MeXR said:
Somonah said:
Example of dubstep, pretty much the only dubstep song i like;

Listening to it by itself, most dubstep kinda sucks IMO, but i imagine that song, in a game like WipeoutHD and it would be great!
I already corrected myself about that post, but way to not read past that post and try to yell at me. Good Game sir.

In other news, this topic is about genres of music in games, not about whether you like dubstep or not.
WHY DON'T YOU BUY ME FLOWERS!?

Bekn

Mar 16, 2011
Dubstep is a phase that will last a couple of years (if that) and be done with. It's all the rage right now but I am sure that things will change and the genre will disappear bar a few stragglers trying to bring it back. Just look at the evolution of electronic music and every subgenre that has branched off of it to varying degrees of success. It's just a matter of time until people get bored of it.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I call bullshit on this, "Dubstep is shit and taking over everything with it's WUB WUB WUB crap".

I never find ANYTHING dubstep related in my movies, games, tv shows or anything else at all. The only time I've ever run across dubstep is when I consciously went to a youtube video for it after browsing through original soundtracks and seeing a remix in the related videos.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Eh, if it works with the game then its fine. The way i see it certain musical genres work well with genres of games/ films.

- Electronic music works well with sci-fi stuff. It just does ^_^

- More orcestral things work well with fantasy stuff. It just does ^_^

- Country music works well with westerns. It just does ^_^

Like many have already said, i dont like dubstep just to listen too really, but it seems to work well for action scenes in things. So, good times ^_^

Then again, im a fan of electronic/ house music. So maybe im more predisposed to let it invade things a bit.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
considering your post was on the 29th of January I don't expect an reply, but I will try. Have you listened to any of the mt eden stuff, it is much slower and not so random

MOXron

May 10, 2011
legendp said:
considering your post was on the 29th of January I don't expect an reply, but I will try. Have you listened to any of the mt eden stuff, it is much slower and not so random
Yeah! Mt. Eden! NZ Dubstep represent!
I know I'm bumping this after a day, but I couldn't help but notice that barely anyone has mentioned the dubstep in Saints Row: The Third. I know if you aren't a fan of dubstep, it won't mean much to you, but whoever made the dubstep in Saints 3 is a genius. It's the best mission complete music I've ever heard in a game, it gets you pumped that you managed to complete that mission, and even makes you feel prepped for the next. So as I've seen mentioned a few times, as long as the dubstep fits the feel/ vibe of the game, then it suits. Sometimes...fantastically:

MEEBO17

Mar 3, 2010
Wow there is a lot more hate on dubstep in this thread than i would of predicted...Now, thinking of it in games, it depends. I could see it fitting into a few genres, but not too many.

deidara

Nov 23, 2011
torzath said:
Robert Ewing said:
Well, dubstep is only getting popular. It's bloody catchy in most places and great for action orientated scenes.

I think the dubstep played an excellent part in Saints Row the third for example.

If the mood calls for it, the games music will provide the atmosphere. If this atmosphere requires dubstep, so be it.
This.
Here's a good example of a movie trailer that works well with dubstep (the movie doesn't have dubstep in it, just the trailer).

I don't like Dubstep, but it does work really well in that trailer. If games are planning to use it, it's probably because they found it to work well in whatever scenario.

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
Dubstep isn't in most games, because it generally doesn't fit many contexts, and even if they tried, it wouldn't really work, except at a level that's a nightclub or something similar.

And i watched the syndicate trailer and I thought having dubstep in there was shit. Industrial Rock/Metal probably would've worked better, imo.