No Episode VII Content in Battlefront Because Disney Won't Let EA "Break Canon"

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Fox12 said:
I wonder who's bullshitting us, EA or Disney? George Lucas didn't care about the Star Wars canon, and Disney threw it out.
EA obviously.

I think it's more likely that after the rolling disaster of The Old Republic's release Disney weren't willing to let EA loose with the latest and greatest. I certainly wouldn't trust EA not to dump a massive spoiler into trailers just for a bit of cheap hype. The release and relatively poor sales of Battlefront won't have done anything to convince Disney otherwise.

They'll probably let EA loose on Episode VII stuff in the run up to Episode VIII to fuel their own hype machine.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Could we please get a lot of mock-ups (videos?) that take Battlefront 2015 and create BS canon with it?

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Plays Battle of Jaku, sees Darth Vader running around. Battle of Jaku takes place a year after ROTJ, where Vader died. Good job at keeping the cannon together EA.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
Brian Tams said:
Oh noes, looks like EA will just have to sell another 60$ game (of course, don't forget the flab 80$ deluxe edition and the 120$ fuck you collectors edition!) with next to no content in order for it to be cannon.
"49.99? season pass sold sepearately."

By the way can we expect in 2 months another article about some EA exec wanting to restore consumer trust but this time for realz.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Something Amyss said:
Gotta disagree with that last sentence. The best part of the OT was when Han Solo rammed Slave 1 with the Falcon, killing Boba Fett but surviving because he'd just activated shields.
The second best part was how Luke tried to fight an AT-AT by himself on the ground, but the AT-AT's foot won in a decisive strike.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I actually believe Disney refuse to grant them access to the characters to protect the canon. I suspect they're trying to make Battlefront and any other games bearing the licence from here on out adhere to their rules as some sort of companion piece. Anything pre-TFA is fine, but the new trilogy is sacrosanct. You do not get to dilute it with your silliness. This is a serious story for serious people, plus Battlefront 2 is going to star them so fuck off if you think we're playing all our cards at once.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Violating the canon? This is Star Wars, what is so sacred about this abused franchise that warrants protecting?

So if the real reason for not including TFA stuff is that Disney told them not to, then what is the reason they can't just pump out prequel DLC? Plenty of maps and terrains to use from those films. Hell, HD remake maps from the first two Battlefront games and people will pay for it.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Can I take this moment to complain that Luke has the a green lightsabre and a black suit on Hoth? Because that drives me nuts. I know, Han never had a fight with Darth Vader... but seriously, at least get your costumes right.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
It's basically an MMOFPS with no single player or story of any kind. I don't think anyone cares about the canon in this type of game. Hell, the game breaks canon anyway.

Steven Bogos said:
Now if you'll excuse me I'll go back to recreating my favorite canon moment from the classic Star Wars: the time when Han Solo fought Emperor Palpatine on Endor
Exactly.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
They do know that they control which heroes are available, right? Like, they could just reskin Episode VII characters if they wanted or just make new heroes for those modes because this is additional content after all.

The real answer? They want to make the next game compelling too. Don't lie, EA, that isn't necessary. We know you're a business. This battlefront is Episodes IV-VI. That's fine.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Who can forget the classic finale of Empire Strikes Back when Darth Vader and four Stormtroopers teabag Luke Skywalker's corpse in Hoth?

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
kekkres said:
people who are mad ad disney cutting out the EU always confused me, because while yeah there was some really awesome stuff in there, there was a TON of absolute garbage, much of which was conflicting, because the earlier days of the EUs lifespan had no quality control at all.
If I'm not mistaken, one of the complaints about the EU as it existed - and one of the selling points of why Disney ditching it was a good thing - was the "Superweapon of the week" era where a bunch of the stories featured yet another superweapon capable of destroying a planet (or even an entire system).

That argument kind of comes off as BS when the very first movie in Disney's new canon features its very own "Superweapon of the week".

On the other hand, the fact that Disney did ditch the EU means that anyone who doesn't like what Disney is doing to Star Wars canon right now has the Lucasverse to fall back on that should be safe from kind of damage that Disney might possibly do to it, especially with their own Disneyverse they're trying to make work.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I enjoy that its apparently EA's fault Disney didnt license them the new content.

hpounds4

Jul 16, 2012
But it's okay when Disney does it? Like in the Galaxy of Heroes mobile game when I can have characters from the Original Trilogy, Prequels, and Episode VII all fighting together.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I remember a time long long ago when Star Wars use to be fun. Some of the best video games of the era were Star Wars, fun stories, and a general air of freedom and happiness, before the dark times, before 2008. Not every story was great, but enough were that it didn't matter and the bad ones could simply be ignored.