No female characters in Brink? I AM DISAPPOINT

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
Xzi said:
blakfayt said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
Because it was either have a ton of customization with only males, or limited customization with both males and females.
Then do the limited one and stop screwing over the female gamer demographic, obvious bad decision is apparent.
You think that if a game doesn't have playable female characters, female gamers won't play it? That's ridiculous. They'd be limited to like two games per year. At most. And they would pretty much all be RPGs.

Guess what other FPS games don't have playable female characters? Roughly all of them within the last ten years. Yup. Including TF2, which is about as customizable as FPSes get these days.

Bara_no_Hime said:
I agree with the statement above. This is awful - if you're going to let people make their own character, let them choose their gender!

Well done, Bethesda - you've just convinced me not to buy Brink. I hope you're happy.
And for the love of god, people, Splash Damage is developing Brink. Bethesda is just publishing. I wouldn't have the least bit of interest in this game if Beth was developing...remember Wet?
HERP DERP I got it wrong. I'll do a better job of fact checking next time I post anything. My bad!

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
I suppose I can see the complaint here. Seems valid. What I cannot see is the appeal of this game. I must be missing something.

TH3_D15HWA5H3R

Mar 17, 2011
Straying Bullet said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
blakfayt said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
Because it was either have a ton of customization with only males, or limited customization with both males and females.
Then do the limited one and stop screwing over the female gamer demographic, obvious bad decision is apparent.
"Oh no, they'll have to play as a male character."

I don't see how this is screwing anyone over.
Actually, imagine if you was forced to play with a female protagonist/character all the damn time. I wouldn't be happy for one.

Try to look from both perspectives if you will/can.
im a male and i always play as the female character given the choice... having a choice of sex rarely effects the game

WildSeraph

Jan 5, 2011
Xzi said:
Guess what other FPS games don't have playable female characters? Roughly all of them within the last ten years. Yup. Including TF2, which is about as customizable as FPSes get these days.
Well, it IS heavily implied that the Pyro is a woman... Of course, they nerfed the hell out of the Pyro, so she's basically been demoted to support class, and is only really useful in dodgeball any more.

Bara_no_Hime said:
I agree with the statement above. This is awful - if you're going to let people make their own character, let them choose their gender!

Well done, Bethesda - you've just convinced me not to buy Brink. I hope you're happy.
1. 'Sex' =/= 'gender'. Sorry for nitpicking, I just hate when people make that mistake.
2. I'm probably mistaken on this one, but if you're getting so angry at the fact that you can't make a female character, is Brink -a war-based FPS- really the best game to deliver that? Wouldn't you rather a JRPG or Visual Novel to fill that void? I'm a fan of FPSs, VNs and JRPGs, but I do differentiate between them, and understand when a system works for one over the others.
And for the love of god, people, Splash Damage is developing Brink. Bethesda is just publishing.
This times infinity. The same thing has also become a problem with id Software. People, the id team is still developing the Doom and Quake series. Bethesda's just publishing now. This is not something to go batshit over.

Captcha: assickh green

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Xzi said:
Hiphophippo said:
I suppose I can see the complaint here. Seems valid. What I cannot see is the appeal of this game. I must be missing something.
That's stupid. Of course you can see the appeal in a highly customizable FPS (both in aesthetics and weapons) with multiple competitive modes in addition to a campaign with coop up to sixteen players. It's basically an expanded Team Fortress 2. Not even mentioning the free running/parkour.

And if you can't, well then you must not play FPS games at all. But you should still be able to see why it would appeal to others.
But the art style...ugh. I just can't get past it. It's so bad. And not power glove bad.

Sep 14, 2009
Pig Mazurka said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
^ This, and the fact that a female player model would more than likely have a smaller hit box, and would therefore be unfair in comparison to a male player model.

There have been many topics over at BRINK's official forum about this, and in my opinion the game will be totally awesome regardless.
this is 100% true, with very apparent/detailed characters like in brink they either have some bulky ass softball player females or they have a smaller hitbox

Mar 26, 2008
Straying Bullet said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
blakfayt said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
"Oh no, they'll have to play as a male character."

I don't see how this is screwing anyone over.
Actually, imagine if you was forced to play with a female protagonist/character all the damn time. I wouldn't be happy for one.

Try to look from both perspectives if you will/can.
What, like Bayonetta? I'm pretty sure I didn't hear male audiences kicking up a stink over that.

I personally don't think being gender-locked into a game is a deal breaker but obviously there are those who do. In the case of Brink they probably could have compromised and have some large ass, Eastern Bloc female characters that could slug in out with the men if it was a hit-box problem.