No female characters in Brink? I AM DISAPPOINT

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
I know that Bethesda cut female characters from Brink and I have just one question: WHY?! I know that artists ***** and moan about drawing female characters, but come on. Lack of female models removes a whole new element of awesome from the game. What do you mean I can't have a thin blonde girl doing parkour moves from ledge to ledge dressed in a sci-fi assassin's suit? REALLY?

...thoughts?

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Because it was either have a ton of customization with only males, or limited customization with both males and females.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
Because it was either have a ton of customization with only males, or limited customization with both males and females.
I'd gladly accept limited customization. I do have a definition on too much customization (Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 and its library of camo schemes)

Pig Mazurka

Mar 28, 2011
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
^ This, and the fact that a female player model would more than likely have a smaller hit box, and would therefore be unfair in comparison to a male player model.

There have been many topics over at BRINK's official forum about this, and in my opinion the game will be totally awesome regardless.

Pig Mazurka

Mar 28, 2011
blakfayt said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
Then do the limited one and stop screwing over the female gamer demographic, obvious bad decision is apparent.
How are they screwing over the female demographic? Are you saying that ANY game that doesn't have the option to play as a female character is "screwing" every female gamer over? I don't understand your logic.

Pig Mazurka

Mar 28, 2011
The Apothecarry said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
I'd gladly accept limited customization. I do have a definition on too much customization (Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 and its library of camo schemes)
I agree that RS:V2 did take it a teensy bit too far, but with what BRINK's doing I'd rather not have them cut down on all the awesome just because you're getting in a tissy about this.

And besides, they're far too far into development to add fully visualized female models in.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
blakfayt said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
Then do the limited one and stop screwing over the female gamer demographic, obvious bad decision is apparent.
"Oh no, they'll have to play as a male character."

I don't see how this is screwing anyone over.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
Pig Mazurka said:
The Apothecarry said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
I agree that RS:V2 did take it a teensy bit too far, but with what BRINK's doing I'd rather not have them cut down on all the awesome just because you're getting in a tissy about this.

And besides, they're far too far into development to add fully visualized female models in.
I know it's too far in-dev to fix anything. Maybe DLC like Splinter Cell: Double Agent? (Kidding :p) It's more of a pet peeve than a complaint.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
Pig Mazurka said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
^ This, and the fact that a female player model would more than likely have a smaller hit box, and would therefore be unfair in comparison to a male player model.

There have been many topics over at BRINK's official forum about this, and in my opinion the game will be totally awesome regardless.
Absolutely. I'm just bored and feel like ranting about something for a few hours as a means to stave off my college homework for another 10 minutes.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
You do realize they actually gave a technical answer to this, right? They said it had to do with the animation bone structures, meaning it would require they make different animations for the female characters (AKA a shitload more time, money, and effort) and seeing as they're like 2 years behind schedule on the game anyway they have to cut corners like this.

and no I can't find a source but as soon as I find where I read this I will post it.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
The Apothecarry said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
Well, the majority of the people who made this decision did not. And they considered that enough of a sample to suggest that most people agree with their majority vote.

Plus, it's probably for the best, as this is a multiplayer-based game, so anyone playing as a female would be subject to a barrage of misogynistic bullshit.

Pig Mazurka

Mar 28, 2011
Straying Bullet said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
blakfayt said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:

Actually, imagine if you was forced to play with a female protagonist/character all the damn time. I wouldn't be happy for one.

Try to look from both perspectives if you will/can.
Personally, the only way that would bother me would be if the character you played as was incredibly sexist.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
Necromancer Jim said:
The Apothecarry said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
Well, the majority of the people who made this decision did not. And they considered that enough of a sample to suggest that most people agree with their majority vote.

Plus, it's probably for the best, as this is a multiplayer-based game, so anyone playing as a female would be subject to a barrage of misogynistic bullshit.
I don't think it will detract from the game at all. In all honesty it's a nice wish, and there's always the mute button... :)

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
blakfayt said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:

Actually, imagine if you was forced to play with a female protagonist/character all the damn time. I wouldn't be happy for one.

Try to look from both perspectives if you will/can.
I DO play as a female character all the time, and I really don't see what the big deal is. It's not like it affects the gameplay at all, aside from maybe one or two lines of dialogue.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
blakfayt said:
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
I agree with the statement above. This is awful - if you're going to let people make their own character, let them choose their gender!

Well done, Bethesda - you've just convinced me not to buy Brink. I hope you're happy.