No 'Him' or 'Her' in Preschool. Wait, what?

pubbing

Dec 16, 2010
Zyntoxic said:
Men can carry children and women can theoretically (i'm not sure if this has been done though) impregnate other womens' eggs. This is science people, and we have it, and with it anything is possible.
WTF!?!?!?!?

'slaps with newspaper on nose' NO!

Eggs can not fertilize each other. You need a sperm to do that. Women do not have sperm so this can not happen.

How do you get the baby inside of the man? Does this occur naturally somehow? No you have to create a cavity and put it in there, then you have to feed and oxygenize this baby through tubes because I have never herd of a man being able to form a placenta or umbilical cord before.

I hate to break up your fantasy but that movie where Arnold Schwarzenegger carries a baby isn't real. Movies are just pretend buddy.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
pubbing said:
This reminds me of that south park episode where they took everything that could possibly be religious or offensive out of the Christmas play and it just turned into a big pile of shit that everyone equally hated.
Im enjoying how much everyone is hating this. So by saying "hey kids, time to play" instead of "girls have to play with THESE toys, and boys have to play with THOSE toys" its a pile of shit? Whats wrong with letting the kids do whatever they want?

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
Penguin_Factory said:
lacktheknack said:
Nope, I don't understand why people get hung up on gender.
I'm assuming from your name you're a guy. That's kind of like a millionaire saying they don't understand why people get hung up on money.
^this, seriously, this is why this experiment is a good thing.

I dissagree with the apparent removal of 'straight' couple stories but hey, there is (nearly) the rest of the fucking world left I guess.

Also I wish people would either remember or (if they dont know )look up the difference between Sex & Gender.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Mr Thin said:
Placing Lego next to the kitchen so they don't separate the two mentally sounds like a great idea.

So does having books involving more than just ordinary straight couples, though I think forbidding things like "Snow White" is a bit ridiculous.

Refusing to use the terms 'his' and 'her'? Now that's stupid.

There seems to be some good here, but I think it's a bit overwhelmed by the bad.
You're exactly right. I can understand trying to introduce gender-neutral pronouns to accomodate the gender-queer population, English has "ze", but I don't think this is the right way to do it and getting rid of damsel in distress stories rather than educate children as to how the sterotype no longer applies just seems lazy.

I admire their intentions but honestly they're taking a lot of very lazy options. They seem to be more interested in drowning children with information they have absolutely no context for rather than actually educating them. It does also seem that they're ignoring heterosexual couples where the male is the provider and the female does the housework which just sounds to me like replacing one kind of ignorance with another.

Feb 13, 2008
Snowy Rainbow said:
I didn't say that.
That's the OP.
Nor did I say I want the world to change "in one generation".
That's also the OP.
That's all you putting words in my mouth for some unknown reason.
That's paranoia. And you deliberately ignoring questions set to you.
What I want...
I don't like...
It's about the kids. That's where you have to be very careful.

But please don't tell them they are somehow "different" and that one is male and one female. Let them decide.
They decide themselves. Because one has a pee-pee.
And by different I mean more than them having a different anatomy. I think it's obvious we're talking on a deeper level than that, but I thought it worth mentioning.
While it would always be better to treat each person as a special little snowflake, they're all snow in the end. And if you're trying to build a snowperson, the flakes only job is to hold together.

They're still very special to those around them. But no one flake makes the snowperson.

And this little flake is going to play a game now.

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
Snowy Rainbow said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
You may notice I've said several times I want people to choose for themselves what they are, not us label them. Not once have I said people shouldn't be allowed to identify themselves as a sex or gender. If someone feels in their mind they are male, I will call them male. If they feel female, I will call them female. Feel like a male but want to be a girl? I'll call you a girl. Feel like none of them fit? Okay. That's fine. I'll call you intersexed if you don't mind. Don't want that? I'll just go by your name until (if) you ever decide on a title you like. Feel like lots of things? Fine again.

I'm not against people being who they are, be it male, female, both or neither. I'm against telling people what they are and treating them like a sex or gender that we've decided for them, before they've even had to chance to choose for themselves.

People are just people. Be whatever you want. It doesn't matter to me; you'll still be you and I'll treat you the exact same as everyone else.
GYAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

...Oh wait, you were serious...

Yeah, you're going to treat people differently based on what they are. Fact. If someone is an asshole, you'll treat them like an asshole (ex: ignoring them at best, lashing back at worst) If someone is in a wheelchair, you'll treat them like they're in a wheelchair (ex: helping them get into their car) and if someone is a computer programmer you're not going to let them perform heart surgery.

(yes i know you meant sex/gender. I'm trying to demonstrate how ridiculous it is to expect people to treat everyone the same in ANYTHING that they may differ in.)

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
HalfTangible said:
Fact. If someone is an asshole, you'll treat them like an asshole (ex: ignoring them at best, lashing back at worst) If someone is in a wheelchair, you'll treat them like they're in a wheelchair (ex: helping them get into their car) and if someone is a computer programmer you're not going to let them perform heart surgery.

(yes i know you meant sex/gender. I'm trying to demonstrate how ridiculous it is to expect people to treat everyone the same in ANYTHING that they may differ in.)
Because sex and gender are the same thing as personality or physical impairment?

Tentickles

Oct 24, 2010
It's all Disney's fault. ALL OF IT.

Think about it, most of us were raised on Disney cartoons and movies.
They even have a TV channel and Radio station!
A ton of music artists were Disney Kids or the like!

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
Snowy Rainbow said:
HalfTangible said:
Fact. If someone is an asshole, you'll treat them like an asshole (ex: ignoring them at best, lashing back at worst) If someone is in a wheelchair, you'll treat them like they're in a wheelchair (ex: helping them get into their car) and if someone is a computer programmer you're not going to let them perform heart surgery.

Because sex and gender are the same thing as personality or physical impairment?

According to you and other members of the distinguished opposition, it is EXACTLY the same as a physical impairment, save for the fact it shouldn't have any negative connotations.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
This sounds worryingly like it should serve as an origin for countless fictional dystopian states. What next, give them a number instead of a name? Shave all their heads so those with long hair are not mocked by those without? Put them in identical non-gender uniforms so there is no discrimination based on fashion sense or perceived 'lack of'? Destroy their individuality?

Captainguy42

Is trapped in a title factory.
May 20, 2009
Honestly what it sounds like is their trying to show these kids the alternatives to traditional gender roles, not erase them entirely. These kids are gonna get examples of heterosexual couples without being read stories, they have their own parents for that. And they'll hear the words him and her just about anywhere else. They're not being made ignorant, Ne jade the people who made this program recognize that these is an outside world beyond the school, where these kids are going to be exposed to the knowledge that they're different. The school is a place where they can learn to overcome gnose differences. But you know? It probably won't matter, because personally, I don't remember shit from my pre-school days.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
The absolute dumbest thing I've heard in quite some time.

Go ahead and shield kids from gender stereotypes, because if you close your eyes nobody can see you right? Censorship makes the kids ignorant, and strategic neutering of the classroom is not a substitute for confronting and dealing with gender issues.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
And for our next experiment!.. We will attemt to remove the mental gender-barriers in a pride of wild Lions.

We will teach the parents to never use words like "He" or "She" and carefully place the cubs playthings and books, in a matter so they wont encurage the buildt-up of the gender-barriers.

Lets see how that goes shall we?

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
I looked. . . and shrugged. It won't work.

Hell, I was accidentally racist till I was nine. I am white, I wanted to be better than everyone, I was better than the token black kid because he was black and I was white. What got me out of this thinking was maturity and education.

That's what will get everyone else out of "I'm better than you because you are a girl."