No 'Him' or 'Her' in Preschool. Wait, what?

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Iron Criterion said:
This sounds worryingly like it should serve as an origin for countless fictional dystopian states. What next, give them a number instead of a name? Shave all their heads so those with long hair are not mocked by those without? Put them in identical non-gender uniforms so there is no discrimination based on fashion sense or perceived 'lack of'? Destroy their individuality?
What the fuck? The ONLY thing they are doing is removing social expectations: that boys and girls can choose to play and hang out with anything and anyone regardless of gender biases constructed and enforced by us adults. If anything, it's emphasizing individuality. Raising kids in the spirit of mutual understanding and respect is the recipe to avoid mocking and discrimination.

You're acting like you can't put the same spin on conventional preschools. Here, let me try: they still adhere to and propagate 1950s-era morality and systematically indoctrinate children to conform to scientifically-debunked "true" gender models which they can never hope to live up to, dooming them to a life of feeling inadequate and insecure. HOOO, repression of subversive "womanly" influences, elevation of the chronically-phobic-and-insecure irrational male ideal, celebration of "diversity" in the form of slavery, racism and xenophobia.

Oh wait, that second part actually happened. They were called the Middle Ages.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Isn't imposing on children the mantra of "YOU MUST BE ANYTHING OTHER THAN A STEREOTYPICAL BOY/GIRL!" just as bad as imposing on them "YOU MUST BE A STEREOTYPICAL BOY/GIRL!"

faceless chick

Sep 19, 2009
Sneaky Paladin said:
A bit over the top yes, and I see how SOME fairy tales could reinforce stereotypes like girls are princesses to be saved men are heroes but they may have taken it to far.
i don't think 5 year olds think this critically.
i was a very tomboy girl and i loved fairy tales.

kids just love nice stories with likeable and funny characters.
kids don't care about subtext or social implications, i think it's the adults who over-think this.

DoctorPhil

Apr 25, 2011
conflictofinterests said:
Cinderella: Girl performs housework and endures abuse all her life and is unable to do anything else. Something completely apart from her life, a Fairy Godmother, magically whisks her away to fall in love. Upon not marrying, she then resumes backbreaking housework and abuse endurance until a man, a prince, who happened to be the one she fell in love with, marries her, and she lives happily ever after.

Have I left out any significant plot points?

Cinderella is pretty much the epitome of the ancient female stereotype. All a woman is good for is cooking and cleaning, and the best thing she can aspire to do is to get married to the richest guy possible.
I agree with this. I think media for little children can be bad sometimes, for example it can make girls all obsessed about marying, and it can stay that way for their whole lives.

I definitely don't agree with everything they're doing, but I think the gender neutral personal pronoun (At least I think that's what it's called) is a good idea. I don't see why so much languages don't have one. What if I came up with the idea to introduce different personal pronouns for black people and white people? I'd be called insane. That would be discriminatory, and now that I think about it the words him and her are kinda too. I get a feeling those words are a remnant of our old society where men > women. I don't really see the purpose of refering to people with different personal pronouns depending on their gender.
I'm a guy, before anyone calls me a feminazi.

Most of that school's propositions are dumb and those that make sence might not change anything (or they might), but they won't do any harm either. So... go right ahead, school.

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
DoctorPhil said:
conflictofinterests said:
Cinderella: Girl performs housework and endures abuse all her life and is unable to do anything else. Something completely apart from her life, a Fairy Godmother, magically whisks her away to fall in love. Upon not marrying, she then resumes backbreaking housework and abuse endurance until a man, a prince, who happened to be the one she fell in love with, marries her, and she lives happily ever after.

Have I left out any significant plot points?

Cinderella is pretty much the epitome of the ancient female stereotype. All a woman is good for is cooking and cleaning, and the best thing she can aspire to do is to get married to the richest guy possible.
I agree with this. I think media for little children can be bad sometimes, for example it can make girls all obsessed about marying, and it can stay that way for their whole lives.

I definitely don't agree with everything they're doing, but I think the gender neutral personal pronoun (At least I think that's what it's called) is a good idea. I don't see why so much languages don't have one. What if I came up with the idea to introduce different personal pronouns for black people and white people? I'd be called insane. That would be discriminatory, and now that I think about it the words him and her are kinda too. I get a feeling those words are a remnant of our old society where men > women. I don't really see the purpose of refering to people with different personal pronouns depending on their gender.
I'm a guy, before anyone calls me a feminazi.

Most of that school's propositions are dumb and those that make sence might not change anything (or they might), but they won't do any harm either. So... go right ahead, school.
That's not the way language works. Words can be created and evolve over time (as i mentioned earlier 'man' used to be gender neutral) but they can't just be 'made up', taught to preschoolers, and expected to hold water. they need to evolve in the language on their own or at least be used by a majority of the population.

Equality is one thing but this school has gone more than a little overboard.

Jangles

Mar 12, 2010
Terminate421 said:
Jangles said:
I am assuming you've seen this?

It adds to the 'equality' topic here.
No I haven't seen that, and I disagree with it. At least the way Morgan Freeman is un-eloquently arguing his position.

What he is literally saying is: Forget all differences which make people unique

What he means: Don't relegate my identity to the fact that I have pigment in my skin cells which absorbs all colours of the light spectrum other than black. I would prefer to interact with you on the basis of my accomplishments and lifestyle, not my heritage.

What the creepy ass preschool is doing: Attempting to ignore something which governs who we are. Genetically, hormonally, reproductively, and socially.

There have been many experiments in which the participants ( usually volunteered by their parents) have been isolated, or manipulated into thinking that they are of the opposite gender. Even to the extent where they have had other genitals implanted onto their bodies. Despite these manipulations, however, they have had extreme identity crises because their bodies tell them they are a male, while the lab made them grow up as femlaes, for example.

Thus proving that all gender roles are not dictated by society, but also by your body's and your brain's natural functions.

The "school" is ignoring this fact completely, and a lot of kids are going to have unnecessarily hard lives because of it.

genericusername64

Jun 18, 2011
They're trying to be progressive, but
Deschamps said:
Equality and tolerance should be achieved through education, not ignorance.
yep, also, there are some differences between genders that are so obvious a preschooler could figure it out. It's not like they're teaching that males and females have equal abilities. They're just ignoring that there's any difference between the two.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
This just encourages me if I do end up having children to home-school them so they're not taught this horrible trash. I am all for equality but doing this gets rid of a child's gender identity.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Oathy said:
The title comes from this article which is also the basis of this topic: http://beta.news.yahoo.com/no-him-her-preschool-fights-gender-bias-122541829.html
(recommend reading it)

What do you guys think?
There is breaking down gender stereotypes and then there is denying people their own gender distinctions.

People DO have gender identity, it is as wrong to force a typical male or female to be genderless as it is to force a transgender person to act within their assigned role. The very existence of transgender individuals, those who for example are born physically male, raised as a male yet still "know" they are female because their brains are feminised in the womb. Or vica verca.

This whole thing feels like a terribly misguided experiment to prove something that there is a lot of evidence against. Namely the "tabula rasta" theory that we are all born blank slates it seems especially on gender identity are not true. Also on sexuality, as evidence by how disastrous it is to attempt to change people's sexuality by outside forces.

YES it is good to remove stigma of males cooking or girls playing with toys, but not to the point of denying that there is any distinction between the genders.

Philip Petrunak

Apr 3, 2010
"The taxpayer-funded preschool which opened last year in the liberal Sodermalm district of Stockholm for kids aged 1 to 6 is among the most radical examples of Sweden's efforts to engineer equality between the sexes from childhood onward."

Wow, that doesn't sound incredibly biased at all.

icaritos

Apr 15, 2009
Snowy Rainbow said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Snowy Rainbow said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
"What happened to your pee-pee?"

That is all.
What? I don't get it...
Little boy notices little girl is different. Coz I'm assuming they either have different gendered toilets or they all go together.
What does gender have to do with sex organ?
Gender tends to accompany the sex organ, while it might not always be the case it is a valid generalization as it is by a large margin the most probable scenario.

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
While I generally agree with what this school is trying to do, I disagree with removing fairy tales like Cinderella and whatnot. The whole point of gender neutralization/equality/whatever is to allow people choice when they forge their gender identity. If you remove the option to be girly and submissive, you aren't offering neutralization and choice, you're just indoctrinating children into another kind of gender barrier of your own forging.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Innegativeion said:
lacktheknack said:
If anything, this looks uncomfortably like brainwashing.
Um, wouldn't brainwashing BE the logical extreme of "ignorance"?
Got me there. I shouldn't post on this kind of thread at midnight, I say dumb things.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
When you name your school "Equality School" That is the first sign that whatever is going on inside does not equality make.
They even try to get rid of the words "him" & "her" (han/hon in swedish) and replace it with a made-up word. That is not breaking down gender stereotypes, that is just being unreasonable. What will happen to these children when they get older and realize that there is no subject term called "hen" in the real world.
Does this remind anyone else of "Ingsoc" from 1984? Getting rid of the words that people use to express themselves negatively, with the aim that they can no longer express dissatisfaction at the ruling state. The reason we use 'him' and 'her' are because they give us a good idea of who we are talking about, of who to expect coming through the door. It is descriptive, specific language designed to produce a mental picture. Making this description more vague is a step backwards.

And the library books virtually all proposing minority ideals, that is not gender equality, it is gender bias. If you want equality you need to have "Jim and Tim bake a cake" alongside "Jim and Tim have a swordfight", not replacing it.

NinjaDeathSlap said:
Isn't imposing on children the mantra of "YOU MUST BE ANYTHING OTHER THAN A STEREOTYPICAL BOY/GIRL!" just as bad as imposing on them "YOU MUST BE A STEREOTYPICAL BOY/GIRL!"
Exactly, this is the main problem, we are taking a minor issue and making it the main drive of the school, Yes gender equality is an issue that should be tackled, and negative gender stereotypes do exist, but there are also positive gender stereotypes. They have gone too far, and it has led to ridiculous things like this happening: "Bergkvist noted on her blog that the state-funded Swedish Science Council had granted $80,000 for a postdoctoral fellowship aimed at analyzing "the trumpet as a symbol of gender." No Sweden, that is not a good use of $80,000. Seriously, get a grip.

The Mighty Thesaurus

Lumen timeo
Feb 23, 2010
You know that feeling of outrage you got when you read the OP? That's your privilege being challenged. Though it may hurt now, it is the only way to progress as a society.