No Indie Titles on Xbox One Until 2014

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
No Indie Titles on Xbox One Until 2014

Xbox One owners will have to wait until 2014 to check out the console's indie lineup.

The next-gen battle between Microsoft and Sony is still heating up, but Sony has taken a hefty lead in at least one area: indie games. Today, Microsoft's corporate vice president, Phil Harrison, told Games Industry International [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-09-23-xbox-one-our-long-term-vision-hasnt-changed-at-all] that he doesn't expect any indie titles to show up on the Xbox One until early 2014.

"I don't think we're going to see things at launch," Harrison said. "I don't think it's realistic to see a developer get the program and build a game and get it into the market on November 22. It's reasonable to expect in early 2014 we'll start seeing the first games come through."

This summer, Microsoft unveiled its Independent Developers @ Xbox [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126298-Microsoft-Confirms-Self-Publishing-on-Xbox-One] program, which allows small studios and individuals to publish their own titles. According to Harrison, the company has had "an avalanche of interest from all corners of the globe," but there just isn't enough time to take care of the logistics and allow developers to work their magic.

"Now we're working through applications and creating that dialogue with developers," he explained. "As we said at the time, we have phase one where we give away development kits and loan them to the teams that inevitably will have to pass some kind of a qualification to justify a limited number of dev kits being given to them."

Only a handful of indie titles will be heading to the Playstation 4 before the end of the year. However, there are reportedly over 180 games being developed for Sony's next-gen console, and the majority of those are independent.

But these statistics don't worry Phil Harrison. "[The Xbox One] lineup is very, very strong. And Titanfall is turning into the huge megahit that we expected it to be."

Source: GamesIndustry International [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-09-23-xbox-one-our-long-term-vision-hasnt-changed-at-all]

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I couldn't care LESS about Titanfall...really.

It's reasonable that we wouldn't get indies the first few months of release, with dev kit releases and all. No biggie there, so long as it is rectified Q1 2014.

But M$ is pimping out Titanfall like it's the Second Coming. While it'll likely be fun, I need engaging, immersive storylines in my games, and ones that aren't dependent on the interactions of other players.

Multiplayer is always icing on the cake for me, rarely the main course (I say RARELY b/c I play SWTOR on occasion)

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Kalezian said:
Titanfall isn't a fucking indie game.

Also, it seems every time something comes up with the Xbone, one of their reactions is "yea, but Titanfall looks pretty awesome, doesn't it?"
I hope titanfall bombs just because of those reactions, Its just a multiplayer mech combat game, we got some of those on pc already though, and pc is getting this as well.

It's only being hyped cause the guys from call of duty are making it.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Games are pretty hit an miss. I know we've seen some real gems from the Indie scene, but for every gem there has been a turd. They're cheap and easy, but sometimes engaging. Then there's games you scratch your head after playing not sure if it was a game or just a tech demo. Indie games are wealth of great ideas, but sometimes poor execution. Not having said games might hurt them as both systems have spotty launch titles. Some digital love would be nice. I can't say it's bad, but at least they are trying to get SOME. Really can't begrudge them for that. But how they treat said developers to appeal to future game releases is another story altogether.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
*Headdesk*

Microsoft, just shut up now. Please.

Every time you open your mouths you make things worse... ..except when you announced Baulmer was leaving, that was a good move.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
Why is everyone hyping up Titanfall as the big Xbox One exclusive? Its on PC too isn't it?
It is, but as an EA game it'll also be on Origin, which is proving to be an unerringly reliable sales killer for everything that isn't Battlefield or Mass Effect. It'll have to be something truly special and no doubt Microsoft will dream up some way to make it most appealing on Xbone.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Can we just Boycott the Xbone? I mean at this point I doubt anyone is looking forward to it.

llamastorm.games

Apr 10, 2008
There is only around 6-7 weeks of 2013 left by the time the X1 releases...
If they said that there would be no indie titles until this time 2014 that would be more like news.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
Just checked, its also for the 360.

Why would people buy a whole new console for a game that is coming out on system that anyone interested in the Xbone is gonna have?
The 360 version will likely be cut down the same way Battlefield is to fit into that 512MB RAM limit. Whether it's as extreme a hatchet job as the 360 version of BF3 remains to be seen, if it is I can't see Titanfall being that popular on 360.

Microsoft will work hard to make it look best on Xbone, it's in their interest to have people picking up that version, doubly so if they pull a stunt like they did with the Xbox and cut the 360 out of Live after a couple of years.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Adultism said:
Can we just Boycott the Xbone? I mean at this point I doubt anyone is looking forward to it.
I'm looking forward to it. Just to be contrary. :p

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Adultism said:
I'm looking forward to it. Just to be contrary. :p
It's called buying a PS4 instead XP

OT: So it's just a few months of waiting for the Indie titles, I'm sure waiting an extra amount of time wont harm anyone to those who look forward to playing Indies on the Xbox One. Hell the gaming library for both will be small going into next year. Which is why I'l wait before buying a PS4 for extra games.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Is anyone really buying either console for indie titles, though?

TizzytheTormentor said:
Why is everyone hyping up Titanfall as the big Xbox One exclusive? Its on PC too isn't it?
This has been fairly common since there's been an Xbox brand.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Microsoft, you really need to see someone about this strange addiction to driving off cliffs you seem to have developed lately.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Ok, I'm sure he's talking BS.

At this point I've seen more Kickstarters mentioning the OUYA for fucks sake than the Xbone, and most of the time its 'we'll look into it' rather than an actual answer or stretch goal.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Personally I'm hoping the Xbone dies before them and all the indie devs flee to greener pastures. PSN, Steam and other downloads, hell, even the Nintendo eShop! Just whatever doesn't have the Xbone logo on it.

ReleGamer

Sep 24, 2013
I am still quite apprehensive when it come to the Xbox One...It seems everything they say is altered within a few weeks. I'l believe the console is indie friendly once there is a substantial library available. And remember...TitanFall is only exclusive when looking at consoles. I'l be buying it on PC.