No Installation for Final Fantasy XIII PS3

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
No Installation for Final Fantasy XIII PS3

Worried that a game as big as Final Fantasy XIII will require a four-hour install on the PS3? Nope - in fact, it won't require an installation at all.

Though for most games it's hardly an issue, that pesky PS3 install time has been a little niggling thorn in the console's side since its launch in 2006. After all, the major advantage that console gaming has over PC gaming is its accessibility - you pop in the disc, you press start, you're on your way to gaming heaven! Having to wait 20 minutes for Dante to get his ass in gear, or having to watch Solid Snake contract cancer in between every act in MGS4 puts some people off.

Some developers have attempted to ameliorate the issue by told IGN [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94832-Ninja-Gaiden-Sigma-2s-Install-Doesnt-Suck].

[blockquote]Toriyama also shared some technical details on the game. Save data will take up 500KB. Trophy data takes up 3,080KB (yes, it looks like the game supports Trophies!). In case you were stocking up munitions for a big system wars battle, there won't be a hard disk installation.

Worried about load times? Don't be. The only time you'll see load times is when you transition from town to field. Once you're out on the field, the game is seamless. Toriyama explained that the game's tech staff tackled loading early on in order to keep the experience as smooth as possible. [/blockquote]

Other FF13 information from Toriyama and Tetsuya "Nananananananana, Beltman!" Nomura includes this: Sexy femme fatale villainess Oerba Yun Fang was originally planned as a male, but was changed to a female later down the line - and was given a "sexy quality" that had been removed from main protagonist Lightning. Because Evil is Sexy [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilIsSexy], don'tcha know. Token black guy Sazh was originally more ridiculous - yes, he has a funny afro which houses a baby Chocobo, but he was going to originally wear a hat over it - and naturally, there will be a Cid. He didn't say that outright, but "a familiar Final Fantasy character"? Who else could that be?

But then again, saying that a Final Fantasy game will have a character named Cid who works with airships is like saying that the main character will be extremely androgynous, use a sword, have ridiculous hair, and tackle some sort of final apocalyptic evil.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
You know what I'm thinking? How about in the next generation of consoles we forget entirely about upgrading the graphics and just completely eliminate all load and install times. Maybe we could go back to cartridges? We could probably fit a PS3 game on a cart the size of a GBA game.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Hm.

Yet another reason to get 'dat ps triple' as they call it.

FFXIII has no PC version, but I'm glad they don't have to wait for install times.
Hell, sometimes -I- don't wanna wait for install times. :p

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I don't see this catching on, since it obviously is an action with thought to the players. What are they thinking? That isn't the way to design a game!

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Nimbus said:
Valiance said:
Yet another reason to get 'dat ps triple' as they call it.
Do people actually say that...?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo5rSIdfVOU&feature=related

I suppose you never saw that. First I raged, and then I lol'd, and now I sigh and just call the ps3 the PS triple...

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Is it just me or does the quote seem suspicious?

They are talking about eliminating installation times but the quote is about load times during moving from the field to city and vice versa. Are they sure that they are talking about the same thing?

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Nimbus said:
Maybe we could go back to cartridges? We could probably fit a PS3 game on a cart the size of a GBA game.
hardly, the storage capacity of cartridges really sux.

anyways the PS3 is already capable of having a game without loading, both Uncharted and Uncharted 2 have no load times except for when you start the game

wonder how the load times with the 360 will be, i'm thinking it won't be pretty either that or it will need an install for the game cause i'm sure it will be multi-disc

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
So with the PS's slower read times iirc will this mean agonizing 20 sec loads when transitioning?

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
cleverlymadeup said:
hardly, the storage capacity of cartridges really sux.
Are you kidding me? I've seen 8GB carts the size of my pinky finger's nail.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
FoolKiller said:
Is it just me or does the quote seem suspicious?

They are talking about eliminating installation times but the quote is about load times during moving from the field to city and vice versa. Are they sure that they are talking about the same thing?
Updated the quote to better reflect the article.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Nimbus said:
You know what I'm thinking? How about in the next generation of consoles we forget entirely about upgrading the graphics and just completely eliminate all load and install times. Maybe we could go back to cartridges? We could probably fit a PS3 game on a cart the size of a GBA game.
YES!

Cartridges are MUCH more durable, too!

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
busterkeatonrules said:
Random argument man said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
He didn't say that outright, but "a familiar Final Fantasy character"? Who else could that be?
Gilgamesh?
Cloud?
You're both way off. It's obviously Wedge looking for Biggs! We haven't seen either of them for a while.

OT: Yet another reason to get a PS3, yet again nothing to get it with. Oh well. College takes priority.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
I really hope Sazh turns out to be a good character. You hardly ever see black people represented well in Japanese media (or Americans for that matter).

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
While the removal of installation is a step in the right direction, I can guarantee that loading between one area and another will take at least 30 seconds. Still I can laugh at all the fools who buy FF XIII on the 360 with it's ten discs! Bwa ha ha ha! In all seriousness though, I hate that they are porting it, Square said the game could've had a worldwide release if not for the Xbox port. Anywho as long as the loading times are nothing like The Force Unleashed, I'll be happy.