No Man's Sky Day One Patch Will Bring Big Changes, Early Players Advised to Delete Saves

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
No Man's Sky Day One Patch Will Bring Big Changes, Early Players Advised to Delete Saves

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1341/1341056.jpgThe first No Man's Sky patch bring a host of changes, and those playing early may want to delete their saves so they don't miss out.

No Man's Sky releases this week, with the console version due tomorrow and the PC version coming on Friday. The patch will launch alongside both versions, and will bring significant changes to the game. The changes are so involved that players who have gotten their hands on an early copy will have to delete their saves to see them all.

Studio founder Sean Murray announced the patch in a post on the game's official website [http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/update-1-03/], and he stressed that the need to delete saves was unique to this patch, saying, "We highly recommend deleting your save if you have played before updating your game (we won't do this in future, but it's a day zero update)." The servers were wiped on Sunday, and again today. Murray said that the new update would be available to reviewers today once it exits the submission process.

Some of the major changes in the patch include:

There are now three different paths to take throughout the game. Early in the game, you make decisions that will have "significant impact" on your experiences in the later game. To experience these, you must start the game on a fresh save.
Universe generation rules have been changed, so planets have moved, biomes have changed, and even galaxies look different. Galaxies have also grown, and in some cases are now 10 times larger.
More creature diversity, both in type and density.
More planets, including "dead moons, low atmosphere and extreme hazardous planets."
The exploit that allowed completing the game in approximately 30 hours has been removed.

The full list of changes is lengthy, and can be found in the official blog post [http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/update-1-03/].

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Goes to show; never fully trust leaked-copy footage. They're probably not the release iteration or there's an update.

I wonder what that path thing is going to be though and I hope it doesn't lock you out of too much content. I want to be able to freely switch between the stuff you can do.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I guess those leaked copies turned out to be a good thing if it prompted bugfixes and exploit removals.

Wait wait wait, hold the damn phone...
Universe generation rules have been changed, so planets have moved, biomes have changed, and even galaxies look different. Galaxies have also grown, and in some cases are now 10 times larger.
"Galaxies?" As in, plural? Are there going to be multiple galaxies to explore?! If so, then -

Survival - recharging hazard protection requires rare resources, making shielding shards useful again. Storms can be deadly. Hazard protection and suit upgrades have been added. Liquids are often more dangerous
Oh God, I REALLY hope my starting planet isn't a hazardous one now.

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
Can't say I like the entry in the patch notes where the dev says people using the warp cell exploit were "ruining the game for themselves". That's like saying using the Konami Code in Contra was "ruining it" just because I didn't want to keep starting over every time I lost three lives. People are free to play a game whatever way makes it most enjoyable to them, and if some of them wanted to speed up their progression because they didn't feel like farming however many resources a warp cell needs, the devs aren't in a place to berate them for it.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hah! That totally-not-rushing-to-the-end-for-30-hour-completion guy kind of has his illusion busted there. Nice try, fucknugget.. ;)

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I kind of doubt that they will stop speedrunners for long, but I do get that the intent was for this game to be frolicked around in instead of speedrunning. To each their own, I guess.

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
Whenever they get an update that'll allow mods to sleaze up the joint with alien strippers and blackjack and hookers then I'll take a more resolute interest in it. For now, I think I'm gonna wait until they get all the dlc out of their system and the price drops a bit.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
Saw this yesterday being linked by Shamus: http://ramiismail.com/2016/08/patch-the-process/

Good explanation of why day 1 patches are so big at times, and how a "leaked" version like with no man's sky can be drastically different from the finished product.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I won't lie, I'm pretty damn well excited. Looks like I'll be burning the midnight oil tonight, and in a good way...

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Auto-aim..pfft ,)

The "One Day"...I mean Day One patch looks quite alright, but still no third person chase cam :(

The waiting game continues :|

*EDIT* Darn you ffronw, now my joke will seems entirely nonsensical.
Meh, I will let it stand.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Just perused the patch notes. Some, uh...interesting things in there...

Feeding - creatures now have their own diet, based on planet and climate. Feeding them correctly will yield different results per species, such as mining for you, protecting the player, becoming pets, alerting you to rare loot or pooping valuable resources.[footnote]Pets and minions? We can have pets and minions? Fucking sold.[/footnote]

Trading - trading is deeper. Star systems and planets each have their own wants and needs, based off a galactic economy. Observing these is the key to successful trading.

Terrain generation - caves up to 128m tall are now possible. Geometric anomalies have been added. Underwater erosion now leads to more interesting sea beds.

Planets - we've added dead moons, low atmosphere and extreme hazardous planets. Extreme hazards include blizzards and dust storms.[footnote]Please tell me we'll get to see things like mile-high walls of dust.[/footnote]

Atmosphere - space, night time and day skies are now 4x more varied due to new atmospheric system, which refracts light more accurately to allow for more intense sunsets.

Networking - Ability to scan star systems other players have discovered on the Galactic Map, increasing the chance of collision. Star systems discovered by other players appear during Galactic Map flight.[footnote]Not much, but it's a step towards making it easier for players to find each other.[/footnote]

Writing - The Atlas path has been rewritten by James Swallow (writer on Deus Ex) and me. I think it speaks to the over-arching theme of player freedom more clearly now. Early mission text has been rewritten to allow for multiple endings.[footnote]So there actually are three distinct story paths? Now I'm more excited than ever.[/footnote]

- - - - -

Friday can not come soon enough...

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I must admit, after seeing those patch notes, I'm actually kind of excited now. Before I thought it was going to be a little too shallow and the early copies were kind of confirming that for me. However, it seems like they're dedicated to fleshing out all of the game's systems and will continue to do so in the future.

I may actually pick this up.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
the videos ive seen of it confirmed what i was expecting that the procedurally generated bit start to turn up again and again after just a few planets.. someone said it best.. you will get the most out of the game if you can ignore the lego piece animals for example.

im not really that excited for it, and its a pick up on sale one day game for me

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
I'm really curious about how it will run on PC. The minimum specs seem to be from around 2011 or so. Somehow, in addition to what people say about its repetitiveness, this is a bit worrying. At least it would be to me if I would pre-order at all.

I'll wait for a let's-play by someone I can stand.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Goes to show; never fully trust leaked-copy footage. They're probably not the release iteration or there's an update.
Can't the same thing be said of a large number of games nowadays? "Oh well, this game's had an update since this footage was released; why, this old stuff could very well be considered slanderous now! Take it down!"

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
Cowabungaa said:
Can't the same thing be said of a large number of games nowadays? "Oh well, this game's had an update since this footage was released; why, this old stuff could very well be considered slanderous now! Take it down!"
TotalBiscuit did an interesting video about that actually. It is an interesting conundrum for modern game reviewers.

But this situation is different as it doesn't concern a post-release game. It's about a leaked copy of which we have no idea how representative it is of the final version. After release everything's fair game to review. Before? Reserve thy judgement to a preview.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
But this situation is different as it doesn't concern a post-release game. It's about a leaked copy of which we have no idea how representative it is of the final version. After release everything's fair game to review. Before? Reserve thy judgement to a preview.
Teeeeeechnically it does since it's a patch, even if it is a 'day-one' one.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
Cowabungaa said:
Except that when you get the game it gets that patch straightaway. So that's basically its launch status. Plus, you don't know if the leaked copy is even the release iteration. It could be an older build. That's the thing with leaked copies.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
Loop Stricken said:
Cowabungaa said:
Except that when you get the game it gets that patch straightaway. So that's basically its launch status. Plus, you don't know if the leaked copy is even the release iteration. It could be an older build. That's the thing with leaked copies.
unless you dont have internet, so you dont get the patch. Also there were some PS4 copies that delivered early accidentally, so there are release copies out there.