No Man's Sky is starting to look a bit rubbish.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Bombiz said:
You could play Elite Dangerous if you want good dog-fighting
What, endless circling? If you want fun dogfighting, go play the Star Citizen alpha. Take your fights through space station habitation rings or dodge through asteroids. Even in its extremely early state it's already more fun than Elite.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Kibeth41 said:
they don't have the budget, manpower or time to actually put in very fleshed out game mechanics.
Budget? Sean Murray sold his house to fund the game in the early days, and since then it's been bank rolled by Sony for the last 2 years. I'd be willing to bet they've had millions of dollars to play with over the course of development.

Manpower? Perhaps you're right, the core game was made by a team of 13, however, they've had endless resources provided by Sony, including Sony 1st-party developers for support.

Time? A little over 4 years isn't long enough?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
JayRPG said:
I'm still incredibly confused by anybody who asks "What do you do?", as if you needed a quest log for a game to have "things to do".

No Man's Sky is a Sci-fi exploration and survival game, if you are confused about what you do in NMS you can read the incredibly long list of gameplay stuff on reddit, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4didkh/what_do_you_do_in_no_mans_sky_and_other_questions/

I'm not saying that it has the greatest gameplay depth in the world, or anything like that, but there are just as many people completely disregarding everything we've already seen in order to fit their arguments of "you just fly around, it'll get boring in an hour" as there are people over-hyping and defending it.

I, personally, am excited for No Man's Sky, apart from everything we've already seen, there is also a whole lot of stuff we haven't seen and/or stuff that has been teased but don't know anything about yet (the level-up system was teased recently, we don't know what it is though).
If it lives up to half that I'll be happy.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
JayRPG said:
There's a reason that AAA games are never such a massive scale.
That reason doesn't actually have anything to do with scaling. AAA games have certain standards to meet, namely full voice acting and cinematic cutscenes. Voice actors and artists eat up a metric ton of any development budget, and recorded lines and cinematics force a game to be linear because if someone's paying an actor $100 per word, you damn well need to make sure as many of those words get heard by the player in one playthrough as possible. Complexity is surprisingly cheap, the costs that AAA attaches to it isn't.

OT: Really complex games that try to be sandboxy in too many genres don't really interest me. I was there for Spore, I bought Starbound just to see what all the young'uns were going on about and interest eventually peters out when you realize that tech upgrades basically boil down to allowing the player to do exactly the same thing they've been doing in increasingly hostile environments.

I'd rather by a complex game in a genre that I'm really interested in than to buy a game with a massive scope that isn't particularly tailored to anything specific.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Don't "walking simulators" get this kind of criticism levied at them constantly? That still doesn't stop people from liking them (provided they're done well, of course). I for one thought The Stanley Parable was a hoot.

I'm scratching my head here. Maybe it's because I've tried my best to temper my own hype, but it seemed pretty clear from the get-go that NMS isn't nearly as complex as titles like Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen. It was never meant to be, but that didn't stop people's imagination and rampant speculation from the runaway hype train get the best of them. That's why Sean Murray and Co. have been continually trying to temper expectations in various interviews. Indeed, this simplicity may very well work to the game's advantage, as it's carved its own niche in the genre.

I'm not expecting NMS to deliver super-complex, super-compelling narrative or gameplay systems. Sometimes I'm just in the mood to kick back, unwind and relax (like, say, after a long day at work) while exploring a vast vista, and the game looks poised to deliver on that.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Honestly, I kept my mouth shut about NMS prior to this because every time I tried to mention that the game doesn't seem to have much to it and seems quite shallow, a hore of fans would descend upon me like a pack rabid man-eating marmots, screaming that I "have no idea what I'm talking about", that I "shouldn't judge the game (based on the materials the devs put out)" and that I "should use my imagination".

And as time went by, and we continually failed to get any new meaningful details, the obvious conclusion what that nothing was being revealed because there was nothing to reveal. Just a bunch of copy/pasted content with no depth or engagement. Granted, I'm sure someone somewhere will have a to of fun with this game, but I like my games with at least some actual content, so I'll be passing it by in a wiiiiide circle...

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Welcome to my 2013, care to talk about the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One as well, they just released last month I hear?

This is also something that the developer of the game has been warning people for since the announcement of the game. People kept running away with their expectations of the game, blowing the game up in their minds, even though the developer stated on several occasions that it's a game about exploring a proceedually created universe.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
As long as there is a randomly generated planet of overruling bear-spiders capable of pyromancy and 5-star quality cooking, that's GOTY material for me. Screw story. Screw long term goals. That's what real life is for. Give me my goddamn bear-spider planet so I can savour their finest hogroast buffet as we debate future alliances.
Yeah, I said something simmilar in a different thread. In no world the game will live up to the hype the media generated for it, the devs said that they just wanted to create a pure exploration game with some online elements. Starbound: The Next Generation, if you can put it that way.

Valok

Nov 17, 2010
Bombiz said:
You could play Elite Dangerous if you want good dog-fighting
It is of course subjective but I'll add my voice against it. Elite IMO dropped the ball, kinda hard, here. The constant slow head-to-head combat and the sponge ships are not what I consider "fun" when it comes to dogfighting. Personally I would have gone with the Star Citizen/War Thunder route, i.e "semi-realistic" - make the ships really fast and the guns really deadly.

"A small burst has hit your wing and the shields were down? Well you can kiss good bye to it."

But again, it is all subjective

Zhukov said:
As for No Man's Sky.. Well the reception will be.. complicated..

Let's take a few things into consideration. Devs have already told that, due to the nature of the game, they are not telling everything that there is to "do" right now (read: find - there's also that whole thing about going to the center of the galaxy and the "story" behind it all). As for what is it and how much there will be it's hard to tell due to what the player might think it is fun and his 'luck' in finding it. Which leads to another point..

It's all procedurally generated. Some players will find amazing things, while others could keep finding Hoth copies in their journey (It's worth remembering here that the Devs said populated planets will be rare, most of the time you will find dead worlds).

In short, and in my opinion, the big thing about the game (i.e what's there to do), lies almost solely one could argue on that feeling of hunting and finding something amazing, that "HOLY BALLS WHAT IS THAT?!", making a discovery and sharing it with the world (read reddit/etc).

It is because of stuff like this that I say the reception will be complicated. It takes a special kind of player to enjoy this exploration aspect to start with, and even some of those players that enjoy this sort of stuff will probably not have the time of their life with the game due to not finding something interesting on their journey to the center - if they choose to do so.

Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
JayRPG said:
I'm still incredibly confused by anybody who asks "What do you do?", as if you needed a quest log for a game to have "things to do".

No Man's Sky is a Sci-fi exploration and survival game, if you are confused about what you do in NMS you can read the incredibly long list of gameplay stuff on reddit, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4didkh/what_do_you_do_in_no_mans_sky_and_other_questions/

I'm not saying that it has the greatest gameplay depth in the world, or anything like that, but there are just as many people completely disregarding everything we've already seen in order to fit their arguments of "you just fly around, it'll get boring in an hour" as there are people over-hyping and defending it.

I, personally, am excited for No Man's Sky, apart from everything we've already seen, there is also a whole lot of stuff we haven't seen and/or stuff that has been teased but don't know anything about yet (the level-up system was teased recently, we don't know what it is though).

Ugghhh. The "Sentinels" sound like they were a direct response to the whole you-don't-"do"-anything crowd. Great way to take an original concept and gamey it up to be just like every other derpin
thing out there.

Because that's all a game can be, right?

Having said that, the rest of the game sounds interesting and well worth checking out if they can pull it off.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
I've seen enough of the game to get interested and invest in giving it a shot.

Personally, I'm expecting a decently compelling exploration-survival game set in space. I'm going to expect to see some weird stuff, mysterious objects, crazy animals, and some neat planets, and some dangerous planets. Anything else would be nice, but what I've seen is enough to garner my interest.

For the sake of comparison, Minecraft, my most favorite thing to do there anyway was exploration. Never cared much for building stuff as much as I did wandering the world, making discoveries, gathering supplies for adventures and surviving against all the creatures. No Man's Sky is entirely geared towards exploration and survival, so that makes it incredibly appealing to me.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
I dunno... Think I'll just wait and see first.

It kind of reminds me of all the things I liked about "Freelancer"...flying around, checking out planets, making space bucks, getting into dog fights.

That game was a blast until the story got in the way.

So I'm looking forward to a vast open space exploration game.

someguy1231

Apr 3, 2015
Neverhoodian said:
Don't "walking simulators" get this kind of criticism levied at them constantly?
My problem with "walking simulators" is that they barely have any gameplay elements. A game could have the best story I've ever seen, but if it's not fun to play, I won't buy it. Besides, if I'm only interested in a game for its story and don't care about the gameplay, I can just watch someone's Let's Play on Youtube.

That's why I loathe "walking simulators" so much. They seem to be actively trying to forget that they're video games. It's almost as if they're embarrassed to be video games.

I've never really been interested in No Man's Sky, and the more I've learned about it, they more vindicated I feel. This game looks like it'll be the next Destiny or Evolve.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Game never looked that fun to me. Interesting sure but an interesting concept doesn't necessarily make a great game. I agree that with randomly generated content you just see the same assets popping up over and over in different constellations. Same with dungeon crawlers of the kind it takes like a few hours before everything starts looking the same. The thing that can save such a game is really strong gameplay mechanics but the flying and the shooting in No Man's don't look all that convincing. Personally I also don't really like the artstyle. Games don't necessarily always need laser sharp focus but sub-par gameplay that literally drowns in millions of samey environments yeah..prolly a bit too much. :p

Hyena200

Jun 1, 2016
stroopwafel said:
I agree that with randomly generated content you just see the same assets popping up over and over in different constellations.
Its 'procedurally' generated, not 'randomly' generated. There's a big difference between the two. With procedurally generated content you can have infinte variations, you can't with random, which means in No Man's Sky its actually very unlikely that you'll see the same assets popping up over and over in different constellations. In fact, in No Man's Sky its unlikely that you'll EVER see the same asset twice. http://iq.intel.co.uk/no-mans-sky-procedural-generation/